drmax

help with designing a system

Hello. I have pre-run cat5 (or maybe it was 6) throughout my attic area. I need good IR and weather proofed cams maybe 8-12 each (will sit under the eave) and around a 2 TB HD. (expandable for more cams) I want it accessible with iPhone and also with movement detection an email is sent with the photo. There has been a rash of home invasions in the Indianapolis area and I want to be better protected. These cams need clarity. No need of installing somethings that will only show a figure. Oh and the range of the cameras, I would say need to get out at least 50-75 feet. I was in hopes that someone could list a system here or a link. If I don't have to piece it together...well that'd be nice. Whatever it takes and I do thank you for any help. DM

I was looking at something like this, but I doubt the cams are that great....

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SDS-P5100N-Channel-Security-Cameras/dp/B00CTUU0E0

Hello. I have pre-run cat5 (or maybe it was 6) throughout my attic area. I need good IR and weather proofed cams maybe 8-12 each (will sit under the eave) and around a 2 TB HD. (expandable for more cams) I want it accessible with iPhone and also with movement detection an email is sent with the photo. There has been a rash of home invasions in the Indianapolis area and I want to be better protected. These cams need clarity. No need of installing somethings that will only show a figure. Oh and the range of the cameras, I would say need to get out at least 50-75 feet. I was in hopes that someone could list a system here or a link. If I don't have to piece it together...well that'd be nice. Whatever it takes and I do thank you for any help. DM

I was looking at something like this, but I doubt the cams are that great....

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SDS-P5100N-Channel-Security-Cameras/dp/B00CTUU0E0

don't get that system, its analog and will not give you the clarity you want. You should be looking at an IP system that is at least 1080p...you need to provide a budget....

50-75 feet of range to do what? No way you'll be getting a facial ID at 75' in the day with those cameras, and completely forget it at night. You might get a good face pic at 8-10' at night if the cameras are placed right and a bit farther in the day. You'll probably be able to get decent recognition (people you already know) out towards 50' or farther in the day. If the cams are placed right you'll probably get decent footage of people that come right up to the cameras to enter your home, but for good footage of people at a distance you'll want cameras with greater "zoom" (narrower field of view yielding closer pictures). A package like that is a decent start in the analog area, but plan to add some better more specialized cameras for folks stealing from your car parked in your driveway, etc.

If you want email notifications of intruders though, I wouldn't recommend that system. You need something with alarm inputs so you can add PIR motion detectors and other reliable intrusion alarms. Video-based motion detection is useless outdoors, especially with wide-angle cameras like the ones in that kit. You'll get snowed under with emails, especially if you have the motion detection set sensitively enough to detect intruders at 50-75 feet.

I'll also second Boogieman's objection to analog if you want wide angle cameras for ID purposes at 50'. You can't always get decent face pics at 50' with wideangle 2 megapixel (1080P) cams let alone analog.

$2500. 30-50 feet. I only threw that system out for i saw at a retail club. I had a hunch it was junk. My house has an alarm system.

Cheap and easy system is the Swann nvr (not Lorex) from Costco. 4 alarm inputs, but not sure on how well it emails a pic from an alarm event. Comes with 4 cams, maxes out at 8. Comes with the hikvision rebranded mini bullets. I've haven't really played with the NVR yet or figured out how well it works with non-Swann cameras.

My personal choice at home is a computer with nvr software running a mix of cams and a couple of poe switches. Axis p3364ve domes plus some Swann mini bullets. Software has been NVR+, Avigilon, Milestone, and Blue Iris. Currently running with 6 cams on BI with a reasonably high end Intel i7 system.

My P3364VE are low light 1.3mp cams (Lightfinder technology) but have no built-in IR, which is a good thing. I use an external illuminator if they need ir where they're mounted. Axis offers an LVE (Light Vandal Environment) version if you want the option of built-in illumination. You can always turn it off if you find you don't need it or upgrade to external illuminators. The P3364s retail around a grand depending on options like 6mm or 12mm varifocal and the LVE. Amazon occasionally has deals in the $600 range on the 6mm versions if you're lucky. They have ports for microphones, external speakers, and alarms (PIR) if you want those options. They also have a fan and a heater (that's the Environment package, along with waterproofing). They are one of the few with heater and fan that run off of a 15.4w PoE port. Even at 6mm you won't be happy with mugshot quality at 50 feet though.

The Swann or Hikvision mini bullet cams are cheap and readily available around $175 each. Builtin ir. Mediocre performance in the dark or low light. 4mm versions are quite wide and good for closeup shots of those entering your home or for overview/situational awareness. 6mm are better for vehicle coverage in short driveways. 12mm versions are better for closeups at chokepoints and distance shots. No alarm inputs or mic/speaker ports. I would definitely add external ir or motion lighting to help these cams, even with a streetlight present, although extra light makes EVERY cam perform better. There are no miracles at night.

Prepare for lots of time spent learning and tweaking if you mix and match cams and run your own computer nvr software and networking though. There is a lot to be said for package systems for DIYers in a hurry. I like the ability of my axis cams to easily duplicate footage to a hidden NAS and an SD card inside the camera though. You still have a really good chance to have footage if someone steals your computer or nvr, especially if your poe switch and NAS are on a UPS.

See networkcameracritic.com for a more detailed review and pics and sample video.

Good info. Like one poster made comment I will use an ip set up. I'll have to do a bunch research. Thx