gmark

PTZ Cameras Won't Stop

I have a few PTZ cameras that won't stop moving. Sometimes they'll move as long as I hold the control and sometimes they'll keep moving until I hit what Swann has apparently reserved the "Iris" control for. This is obviously annoying. Folks at Swann tell me I must have some "bad wiring", but all four cameras? Even the 50 foot, the 25 foot and a 10 foot cable. I have them all set to 2400 baud, N, 8, 1. The wiring is all new. Could it be some sort of signal reflection that would be damped with a resistor termination? Is there a better setting? Is this common? I wondered if the protocol was to start the motion and then send another signal to stop it, but Swann has told me that's not the case -- that the PTZ moves until receiving a "stop" command that's sent when the control is released.

Anyone know? Any suggestions?

Mark

Do all four cameras move independently? If you have just one camera at a time hooked up, does each one respond properly then? Also, you could try restarting the dvr. Sometimes that clears things out and gets things working right again.

The cameras are independent and hooked up properly, settings are correct, and they respond correctly to commands. Sometimes they will operate by moving for as long as I have the movement arrow selected and then stop when I release. But many times they will go in the indicated direction and not stop until I activate another command. If that command is to move in a particular direction, it will again go in that direction and not stop. If the command is "open/close iris" (a command that the camera does NOT have and which is used as an "enter" command by MyDVR, it will stop. This, of course, is a clumsy and unpredictable way to stop the camera and therefore takes several tries before I get the camera correctly positioned. I have not tried programming surveillance points yet for the reason that it's very time-consuming to get the camera in any precise position let alone a suite of observation points. I thought it might be a symptom of the HUACAM (Huauwei camera?), but it occurs with the Swann camera as well. I asked Swann if there was some sort of protocol by which I could automatically send a "stop" (enter) after each button push, but apparently not. I can't imagine everyone has this problem, and given that I have pretty good quality Swann cable, I'm not sure what I could be doing with that. Perhaps upping the communications speed from 2400 to 9600?

Adding a resistor or coil somewhere to attenuate the signal from reflections? I've got three cameras on the one buss in the back of the 83000HA model DVR, which I've reset and reconfigured multiple times.

All the positives are common and the negatives are common, making it a star. I was not aware it was possible to use the cameras connected in series. The distances are 100, 100 and 50 ft.

Forgot to add: These are all controlled by the Swann 3000 DVR. I suppose I should experiment with removing some from the configuration.

Another thing I should mention is that the cameras get into a situsation a wherein the IR on the camera blinks on and off continuously at night.