AussieInSeattle

Severe Purple Hue to camera on Swann 7200 system

I have the Swann 7200 (8 channel/4 camera) system from Costco (purchased mid last year I think).

I only have one camera setup at the moment - it was fine for the first month or so but now has a severe purple hue to it.

I've tried:

• rebooting the 7200
  • rebooting the camera (after a lot of effort in trying to get access to them since they are on the recorders network)

Any ideas on how to fix it before I call support? Image attached (I hope) of what I'm seeing.

Thanks,

Matt

235827_1.jpg

Looks like your IR filter might be stuck in the out position. Sometimes a good thump or two will free it up, but once it starts doing this, it will probably keep doing it.

After you thump, you're supposed to plunk.

235833_1.jpg

The IR filter is in the camera, between the sensor and the lens. If your camera is true day/night, a motor will move the IR filter out of the way in the dark so that the camera can "see" infrared light and back between the lens and the sensor when it's light to maintain correct color.

Occasionally, some really cheap cameras will not have IR filters but that is relatively rare. Also, color-only cameras will have IR filters that are bonded to the sensor or part of the lens.

That is awesome, love the colors. Set the camera to day and back to nigh mode a few times, sometimes that unsticks it. Never had this problem with Hikvision, but can happen even on expensive cameras.

I had same issue with a Q-See (Dahua) bullet, the IR cut filter got stuck. Never had that same problem with any of my Swann/Hikvision bullets or domes. If you spent a lot of time wiring up the system, placing cameras and programming the NVR I would call Costco and see if they will replace just the one camera (so you don't have to start all over). I have had nothing but good luck with Swann cameras in the past and this bad camera was probably just a fluke.

BTW, that is a great view!

Tried thumping, swapping day/night mode, different awb profiles and rebooting the camera all without success. Will swap it out with one of the ones I have not put up yet and see if I can get a replacement from Costco.

Image looks fine at night so am guessing it is the IR Filter that is stuck.

Regards,

Matt

You should be able to hear the filter click in and out if it's working. It's not a loud sound, and best bet is to try with a camera that's working, then compare to the suspect camera.

You can either shine a light in the sensor, then block it to make it switch, or have someone switch modes from the web screen.

I have a Vivotek that switches in one orientation, but not when it's upside down, and you can tell the difference by a solid click vs a mushy click.

You think you had severe Purple problems. This is what I had in July & it was the very 1st network ip camera that I bought. Fortunately, Kyle from ESC took it back & gave me a refund. I never did find out what was causing it .

magenta.thumb.jpg.001321ec2ac2fb252d83849e0b285b16.jpg

I have this issue on 2 of my 5 cameras now. I spoke with Swann about it but they were of no help at all. The lady wanted me to test all sorts of different things i.e. taking the camera down plugging another camera into the same cable to see if the problem occurred on another camera. It's not so easy when cameras have been secured on the roof. I just wanted to send camera back and have it replaced. Now I have 2 cameras with the issue I guess I will be having to call Swann again.

Hi Mac,

Use the directions as above or use the Returns form in the Support section of the website.

Also, PM me your call ref# so I can examine what you were told by our agent.