Evo

Using Sony TV with NVR

I recently did an install for a customer who wanted the their NVRto run through their Sony TV. When I hooked it up there was no images coming through at all. After ringing technical they informed me that some TV,s wouldnt run with a HDMI recording device in order to stop piracy.

This is because they are trying to stop people recording HDMI quality images and posting on torrent sites

Is there any way around this?

Cheers

Evo

Sounds like a good story, so the NVR is putting out HDRC protected video, have not seen that and why would one TV honor it, and others don't.

Most cheap NVR's are setup for standard monitors. You have to connect a monitor to them, then you can configure them for 1080P and HMDI.

I'll admit that I haven't looked into which manufacturers support copy protection lately but I know that it used to be quite common for some makers to mangle video made with Macrovision copy protection while other makers ignored it and left the original quality intact. "Image stabilizers" were required to strip out the protection so that content could either be copied or simply run from one VCR through another to a TV without ruining the video, let alone copying it. Some VCRs didn't require a runaround to copy or pass through Macrovision protected content. It wouldn't surprise me if some still bucked the protected content trend today. It used to be a common practice to increase sales in markets where piracy was common.

Sounds like a good story, so the NVR is putting out HDRC protected video, have not seen that and why would one TV honor it, and others don't.

You probably meant HDCP

If you google HDCP stripper, you'll see lots of discussion on this, as well as links to gadgets that work for some people.