wrytous

Securing RG59 siamese cable w/ low voltage staples?

I have the Gardner Bender staple gun using 1/4" staples -- I feel like I'm crimping down on the cable sometimes when I drive a staple. Is this a huge problem (if I don't pierce power supplying wires)?

Is there a better / still convenient way to secure siamese cable on a long run?

Thanks!

-Sean in DC (noob)

Well, personally I wouldn't use staples to secure wire. If I absolutely had to, I'd use a staple gun like an Arrow Fastener model T25, that is designed for stapling down wires.

Is your siamese cable Co-ax or UTP? If coax, crimping it with a staple will change the electrical properties of the cable. How much it changes depends on how many staples you used to secure it.

staple guns work fine for cables as long as you get the proper gun & staples. I use the nylon sleeve that does not allow pinching. If you take your time and do it right you can save time...............

I've seen the guns that pinch the cables and they still work but according to the install standards this method is 100% wrong! And I've seen the cables bent beyond standards, stomped on, twisted in, and shoved in, and they all still worked..........but still wrong.

Practice good cable installs and you'll be happier since you can count on the reliability of the cable.

Make sure you are using a rounded staple not a square, and as stated if you are careful you will have no problems, if you plan to be a cowboy with your staple gun you are going to end up stapling the wire.