Sign in to follow this  
jasonwb

Need help with long run between camera and DVR

I need some help designing a security system for my parents. I have attached a print of the basic layout of their property, it's approximately 1000-1100' to the house from the gate (as the crow flies). They would like a few at the gate to be able to see faces and license plates of people pulling into the driveway and snooping where they don't belong. They would also like a few up at the house but those are the easy part. I know for analog cameras, you can get them to run over 1000' with baluns. What option is there for running a few digital cameras that distance? We do have 110 VAC at the gate and I would rather not run powered signal boosters every 300'. I like the high resolution benefit of the digital cameras vs the analog, what option is there to get the signal to travel 1000 or so feet?

1122213084_landplot.thumb.JPG.a6f38fd23671380e1098d9b1613032a1.JPG

One option would be to use fiber optic for the run, and converters on each end to your network devices.

One option is to use point to point bridge over 5ghz and install a switch in an outdoor box by the gate. Are the gates powered? How did the electrician get power out there originally? Is there an intercom so your parents can let people in that call them?

The video signal from an analog camera can be severely distorted when transmitted over long and low graded cable. Therefore you may go for IP camera.

Another advantage to fiber optic over that long distance is that it is immune to induced surges like a wire would be.

The gate is powered, my dad ran electricity out there from somewhere, I think the property next door (that they own as well). It's operated by a garage door opener type transmitter, and there's no intercom. So the family has one and if someone is coming over, they go down to the gate and open it and just leave it open.

Luckyfella: From a quick google search, a point to point bridge is wireless correct? It would have to be mounted way up on a pole above all the trees right? I would like to try to avoid doing that if at all possible.

RVT: Fiber optic is expensive compared to Cat5 correct? I couldn't really find any place selling it.

Sunnykim: If going analog, I would run to a balun then over Cat5 to the house.