PeteCress

Fixing Water Infiltration?

El-cheapo Dahua outdoor cam.

Seems to be leaking where two halves of the body join on an o-ring.

Does not seem to be coming in via the ethernet cable because the worst of it by far is down around the lens (downhill from the o-ring) and the area around the cable entrance at the "top" of the cam is relatively dry.

Actually, I'm kind of impressed with how much water can be in one of these things without killing it.

I tried applying o-ring grease and reassembling, but no luck.

Before I slop on a bunch of silicone sealer and hope for the best, does anybody have any suggestions?

http://tinyurl.com/leulb8b

leulb8b

It looks to me like the sealing ring is super compressed. You could try your local auto parts store and see if they have an O-ring big enough to do the job. Actually even better than an auto parts store is a place that rebuild hydraulic cylinders or hoses. They have all kinds of crazy stuff at those places, and every one I have ever been too is happy to help out, especially with something that they don't see that often. Take the case parts with you to the shop and let them fiddle with it for a few minutes, you might stumble onto an excellent solution. If not, grab some gasket maker from the auto parts shop and go to town on it.