cappedup

Camera Advice - ordered Dahua 3x 1080

Hello, first post. Lovely forum you have here.

I'm in need of a single PTZ IP camera for a 2nd home. Only need one, keep an eye on the house, get snaps of the postman coming when we are not there etc. Also be good to see how deep the snow is, and if we should venture there! I travel so accessing over the internet is great.

Forgive me, i'm quite the new guy, but have a little bit of experience with IP cameras.

Experience 1. TrendNet, cheapo ptz. Was brilliant. Could control the direction from away. Was a great toy, but i wanted something a bit more durable. It wasnt an outdoor camera, and i feared the winter would kill it. It developed a graphics issue before the elements got it.

Experience 2. A YCam Bullet HD. Instantly regretted it. Was a huge monstosity. Obviously only pointed one way. was constantly having to 'reset' it due to it dropping off the network, no good if im not at the house. I had good tech support, but was getting very frustrated with it. It also eveloped a picture issue. They say the processor went, or something.

So, here I am. We only have a small house, so I want something that doesnt stick out and scream 'SECURITY CAMERA', at me. A smallish white, dome, ceiling mounted item is what i need. It will go inside a high porch by the front door.

I think I am learning that there are IP cameras and network cameras. Network Cameras need a DVR or similar, Ip cameras dont. Am I close? I dont want a DVR.

For instance, I was looking at this, but think it is a network cam? http://www.amazon.com/Revo-REHVDPTZ22-1-Indoor-Outdoor-Surveillance/dp/B00AWKELA8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_1

The YCam i had had built in IR, which didnt really seem that effective. I dont want a separate IR system. There are no street lights where the camera will be positioned. Think cabin in the woods. Seeing in the dark would be amazing, but I was put off with how effective it is with the YCam. Would have to be convincingly effective up to about 70ft.

I'm fairly tech savvy, and will be able to work through any installation issues, especially after installing 2 in the past.

I have about $600-$700 for the correct, discreet, decent quality item.

Sound feasible?

I very much appreciate any help or advice you may be able to give.

Edited by Guest

The problem with most PTZ cameras is what do you do at night? If the only goal is the postman, you are in luck since they typically only come during the day. Is the area brightly lit at night or do even care about security at night?

Also, PTZ cameras either need someone to operate them or you put them on a patrol of preset locations. The problem is you are dividing the time the camera can record by the number of presets. So say you have 3 locations to check, at each spot you check activity for say 10 seconds. You may miss the mailman because he may drive by and you camera was pointed elsewhere.

If you need IR illuminators for a PTZ, there's two ways to go. You can put one at each preset location or you can get a PTZ with an illuminator built in, so forget the price for a minute, they are huge, basket ball size and have a look to them, almost R2D2ish, so that doesn't meet your criteria of being discrete.

Network cam = IP cam. Same difference. Both are accessible over the Internet, but really there is no "both" because they are just two terms for the same thing. I have no experience with that cam but it looks like it'll do what you want. How well and for how long is anybody's guess though. Buy one and keep us updated.

Great, thanks.

Security at night is not a big issue. Truth is, we live in a very safe place. No crime. Its more a case of us checking the house is still there. I know, i know. Paranoid wife, me curious, nice to get photos of a deer crossing the lawn every now and again. Not a hard core, crime ridden junk yard to protect.

So, lets take IR out of the equation.

The cam I linked to has installation videos which only shows connection to a DVR with BNC. My router obviously has Ethernet connections. Hence my confusion with Network Vs IP.

Ok, all this in mind, any suggestions for easy to install/discreet/ptz's?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, i'm happy to spend less than $600!!

How does this look? http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/cctv+high+speed+mini+dome+camera+.do?utm_source=ci&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=ci_product&srccode=cii_23393768&cpncode=27-238329454-2

Apologies for the long link.

Ive decided I definitley dont want inbuilt IR. One thing I remember from the YCam I had was bugs all over it. I would get 400 emails in the morning of spiders, and one of a passing car.

Should I be worried it doesnt seem to be a branded item?

Or this.. https://www.123securityproducts.com/kpt-on10tw.html

Without an actual recommendation, im going to be looking at making a phone call to a company and taking thier advice. Trying to do research, but there seems to be 1,000,001 items out there.

Thanks.

How does this look? http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/cctv+high+speed+mini+dome+camera+.do?utm_source=ci&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=ci_product&srccode=cii_23393768&cpncode=27-238329454-2

Apologies for the long link.

Ive decided I definitley dont want inbuilt IR. One thing I remember from the YCam I had was bugs all over it. I would get 400 emails in the morning of spiders, and one of a passing car.

Should I be worried it doesnt seem to be a branded item?

Or this.. https://www.123securityproducts.com/kpt-on10tw.html

Without an actual recommendation, im going to be looking at making a phone call to a company and taking thier advice. Trying to do research, but there seems to be 1,000,001 items out there.

Thanks.

Neither one of them be a network/ip camera. You is at the lower price range of ptz outdoor ip camera @ 600-700 bananas. I think there is a Dahua 3x optical zoom in that range thjough.

Yes, in that price range, the Dahua 3X optical zoom is you best bet at the moment, 1080P, uses standard PoE (most PTZ do not ) and you can find it for $600. Or wait until February, ACTi should have a small 10X zoom PTZ for cheap, under a grand.

Yeah, I believe that's the camera. I've also bought smaller stuff from them and they have always been fine. But personally, I wouldn't want to have my cameras black out all night- I'd want IR. If you have the ability, you could consider a couple of these and aim each one for what you need-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-3MP-IP-Camera-High-resolution-HD-video-Low-illumination-IP66-IR-Range-90ft-/261206336361?pt=US_Security_Cameras&hash=item3cd11c6369#ht_1965wt_777

Yeah, I believe that's the camera. I've also bought smaller stuff from them and they have always been fine. But personally, I wouldn't want to have my cameras black out all night- I'd want IR. If you have the ability, you could consider a couple of these and aim each one for what you need-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-3MP-IP-Camera-High-resolution-HD-video-Low-illumination-IP66-IR-Range-90ft-/261206336361?pt=US_Security_Cameras&hash=item3cd11c6369#ht_1965wt_777

Oh here is a question.

With a non IR equipped camera, can I add a seperate IR source at a later date? I guess I am asking, do all cameras see IR, just some come equipped with bulbs and other dont.

reason I dont want IR on the camera is that the YCam Bullet I had spent all its time recording spiders and other bugs at night.

Oh here is a question.

With a non IR equipped camera, can I add a seperate IR source at a later date? I guess I am asking, do all cameras see IR, just some come equipped with bulbs and other dont.

reason I dont want IR on the camera is that the YCam Bullet I had spent all its time recording spiders and other bugs at night.

Ok, guess I'm nearly done. Thanks for your kind help.

Only two things remain:

Would this lens 'see' an IR source placed away from the camera? I probably wouldn't do it, but it's good to know for the future.

Anyone know of a NY supplier, where I might get one within a day or so?

Many thanks again. I've lost a few hours browsing through this subject!

[wife]what are you getting into now?[/wife]

Not all cams see IR. Many have a fixed IR filter, either over the sensor or attached to the lens, to keep the colors correct in sunlight. Others, like the older YCams, don't have a filter at all, so sunlit scenes are purplish, but they see the IR at night just fine.

Cams with movable IR filters switch between day and night for the best of both worlds, with the cost and reliability hit of more moving parts.

Any camera that sees IR will see it from a source away from the camera, just like with visible light. The benefit is that the IR doesn't illuminate the spiders/bugs/whatever right in front of the camera - they're still there, but they're not all lit up, so less likely for motion detect to see them.

Fantastic, thank you.

I've just ordered the Dahua3x 1080 from http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_16&products_id=274

Top class service so far.

This will be the 3rd camera in the same position. Hoping for better luck this time. The others died, of being too cheap.

Not expecting any issues setting up having done it a couple of times.

I'm reading mixed reviews of PSS. I guess I'll try it as a start point.

Why would you need to use pss? Just hit the cameras own interface. I think you're gonna like the camera. Good luck.

Oh btw- if you get snow coverage at that house for a good part of the winter, that may provide enough light reflection to get a decent low light picture. Snow can help wake an otherwise dark picture up a bit. Just a little bonus- go snow!

Where in NY are you located? I could possibly stop by and help you setting up.

The bottom end of Putnam county. Feel free to stop by. Happening tomorrow...

Thanks to you guys, and the great service at Wrightwood my camera is in place and working well. its so nice, I could look at the image all day. Needs a slight relocation, but that can be done when my fingers have thawed out!

I'm a sniff away from accessing it from a distance, but am just not quite sure what's not in place. Have a look at these two pics. See anything amiss?

direct access through network is 192.168.1.4

remote access is 74.108.***.**

Many thanks.

(are those pics big enough?)

EDIT 74.108.***.** does bring up the camera UI. But I cant get past the issue of IE being 64 bit and the active X thing. I managed it for the local browsing part of the operation. Something to do with webrec.cab I was asked to DL something from EMS TECHNOLOGY USA INC which got my feed working.

Anyone else see my feed!?

camera01.jpg.ef700da77a15e0c3fd482b480d76bd66.jpg

router01.jpg.ba73992c0b39bccafcf1db5239264ab0.jpg

Edited by Guest

Yeah I can see you feed and log in, but can't see picture.

Well that's encouraging.

Reckon that's an issue with the camera UI?

I have my own issues with IE being 64bit to get around. Working on that.

EDIT. Nipped out of the house for a couple of hours. Will look at the TCP port in a bit. To be honest I was kinda guessing the settings, and something happened. Not very pro I grant you. I'll make those pics bigger as well...

Ok, back.

Here are a few more shots of my settings. They may make more sense being bigger!

The camera forwardin is the botom one.

router02.thumb.jpg.a83808e6c2978c79083cde4537fafcb1.jpg

camera02.jpg.2772324f532ded0d743259bc3eb529ba.jpg

camera03.jpg.b3de4545ae349a9ffa8d761e25bf7062.jpg

You have to forward 37777 as well.

Ok, bad to worse. For some reason I now cant access the camera at all, through my network.

I had thought it a good idea to change the TCP port to 80 at the camera to match the router, or so I thought. Since then I have only seen the following screen.

Installing Quicktime as it stands is no use.

Been trying to follow different ways to get Dahua ActiveX to install. Not happening.

Any thoughts on this, as it seems to be my biggest hurdle? Apart from forwarding the right ports.

I seem to be having the headache due to my IE being 64bit. Have tried the trick of altering the security settings.

Cheers folks/..

error.jpg.81c567b27154d3dbf5047c74c44c8ba1.jpg