Sign in to follow this  
GregL

Looking for a simple, inexpensive outdoor camera for home

I am looking for a very simple camera that will allow me to observe my front door/driveway area. I won't need to point and zoom or do anything fancy. I work in a home office and often miss people at my front door with deliveries and want to be able to see them when they arrive.

I would also like to be able to monitor it from my smartphone when not sitting at my PC.

I will want to directly connect it to my PC/router which are about 30-40 from where I am thinking about mounting it outside. I can run wire easily.

I don't need it to record but it might be helpful in the future.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

I think an ip camera will be okay for u, you just need to connect it with network. They are quite some inexpensive online. For this, you don't need to buy a security system. But remember choose some branded products. Low quality one will suck!

Thanks for the feedback, does anybody have any recommendations?

I have checked several like Foscam and the reviews are mixed. I don't need too much as I noted but I do want something that will last a while and won't be a nightmare to configure to view on my PC and smartphone.

If you have good exterior lighting, this camera is excellent-

http://www.securitycameraking.com/2-megapixel-ip-vandal-dome-59101-prd1.html

It'll go black at night without exterior lighting though. Also, it's easier to ceiling mount it but it can be wall mounted, no problem. Pop a micro SD card in it if you want to record. Simple as that.

You'll also need this POE injector as well.

http://www.securitycameraking.com/single-port-poe-30w-injector-59315-prd1.html?pSearchQueryId=2729022

Doesn't get mucgh simpler than that and you'll have exceptional quality. Good luck.

At that price wouldn't it be better to just get the Hik 3mp. Bump it down to 2mp if it's an issue. At $167 it's

better priced and I can vouch for it's quality. Has Night IR, has a slot for a 64GB card and comes with Hikvision's free software for recording, motion etc....

The 4mm lens is wide enough Imho

Here's the link in case your interested.

http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_83&products_id=267&zenid=0942724eb43467079ef3066678c41f0f

And here are my sample pics/vids from that camera since I have one. Price wise, it's better and has better

features.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=38847&start=30

Might need to correct myself, I don't know if it has a card slot. ( Looking for the answer )

It does, just make sure you use a Class 10 card!

that hik does not have a card, you need to move to the more expensive varifocal version for a card slot.

Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-I Dome or Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-I have sd card slots or acti d72 and are about 270.

If op is not using an NVR it cant hurt to have recording - good protection if someone steals your packages etc.

but the cheaper hik will do if all op wants is a live stream.