acuriousgirl

outdoor wireless infrared?

I'm looking for a camera with which we can watch the deer in our backyard in the evenings. Infrared security cameras seem most likely, so I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations? We'd like to simply have a live online feed, if possible. No DVR or anything. We'd probably just mount it to a tree, so something without wires (including electrical) would be best.

Does this exist?

We already have a few deer cams, but they're not live feeds--you have to go retrieve the SD card every morning.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yes it is called a game camera, you are not going to find a magical no wires, remote view CCTV camera.

But do any game cameras have a live feed option? Sorry, I don't know much about this and my research served to only confuse me further, hence why I decided to go to the more experienced. I'm certainly not on the lookout for sorcery. I just don't know what's possible. Your patience is appreciated.

The IR leds and the camera itself draws quite a bit of current when in use, so a battery would not last too long.

A wired solution is the most cost effective and gets the best image possible.

A small outdoor rated Bullet CCTV camera with IR leds would be sufficient for your needs.

This camera can be mounted to your tree and wired using pre-made (comes in 25', 50', 100' lengths) siamese cables (power&video) to your house/office/school.

Don't forget to weather-proof the connectors using silicon tape or heat-shrink tubing.

Also, screw camera to piece of wood first then strap wood to tree branch using cable ties.

Once you have found a way to get the cabling inside (thru crack in window, door, etc), the camera must be powered using an approved +12v wall adapter and the video cable connected to the video input of a TV or monitor.

Happy deer viewing...

External infrared is probably not the way to go. It will only have a certain range of the leds and will attract bugs etc. Look for a low lux camera. You then see longer distance via existing ambient light ie starlight, moon or light coming from house. PM me and I can point you to some suppliers (and no I am not one)

How far from the house do you want to mount the camera? How far will the deer be from the place you think you'd like the camera? How handy or geeky are you for running wires? Got an outbuilding with power near the deer?