Sign in to follow this  
prd

Get the Video to multiple apartments

Hi, i have given a task to get the output of a single cctv camera to all the residents of an eight story building my question is if its possible to run a single cable from first floor all the way to the 8th and use BNC-T connectors to output the video to the residents between the camera and the 8th floor?

Just like the following diagram:

(BNC) Monitor 4

|

|-(BNC-T) - Monitor 3

|

|-(BNC-T) - Monitor 2

|

|-(BNC-T) - Monitor 1

|

|

Camera

Edited by Guest

Set up a system so the residents can use a smartphone app, a tablet app or a browser to access the video. No wires = less pain.

The only way you could run the cables like that is with several distribution amplifiers. How many apartments are we talking about here? Are you installing monitors in all these locations too?

In the olden days what you're talking about was usually done by modulating the baseband video onto an unused TV channel and then distributing that channel to all the apartments in the building. Residents could then view the camera on their TV sets simply by tuning that special TV channel. Nowadays, of course, there are other options such as streaming the video over IP from a server fed by the camera.

There are 16 apartments and i had to role out the ip based solution because they want the camera to be connected to the existing intercom system they have, which only has a +Video and a -Video input port in every apartment

Also using a distributer i'll need to run a separate cable to each apartment which is not desirable ...

The main cable length wont exceed 25 meters.

I just want to know if the above mentioned setup is gonna work or not!

In the olden days what you're talking about was usually done by modulating the baseband video onto an unused TV channel and then distributing that channel to all the apartments in the building. Residents could then view the camera on their TV sets simply by tuning that special TV channel. Nowadays, of course, there are other options such as streaming the video over IP from a server fed by the camera.

As far as I know this is still the way it's done in our modern age. My wife's grandmother lives in a huge residential complex and it goes through the regular coax cable into the cable box (digital), and it is a channel on the cable box. The channel itself seems to be analog but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure if it would work without the cable box as it is included in the rent cost, so everyone has it.

Hi, i have given a task to get the output of a single cctv camera to all the residents of an eight story building my question is if its possible to run a single cable from first floor all the way to the 8th and use BNC-T connectors to output the video to the residents between the camera and the 8th floor?

You can, and it was done 'in analogue days' but you have to be able to match the video monitors to the line, with video in and video out connections and terminate the line correctly. If the monitors have a through/terminate switch you set all but the last one to through. If they don't you may have to remove the terminating resistor from the circuit board or consult the manufacturer.

http://www.fmsystems-inc.com/index.cfm?tdc=dsp&page=publication_detail&pid=17

There are too many monitors in parallel and you will get feedback or a ground loop. As mentioned, you need a looping device with

in/out, or home run each monitor to a video splitter. You say an IP based system is not optional, but you can still use an analog

camera into either a video server or a 4 channel DVR and just connect it to one router. Than everyone can log in with their iphones, ipads, samsung tablets, mac laptops, windows laptops, android stick in their TV's, the options are endless.

The biggest problem is signal degradation as you split the signal. The right way to do this would be with 2 or 3 amplifiers and then using attenuators at the screen closest to the amp so you don't overdrive them.

I am guessing you don't have the tools to measure you video signal properly do you? To be a nice clear signal, it needs to be very close to 1 volt peak to peak at a signal strength of at least -75, but that is a tricky thing to measure without the right tools. The more you split a signal the faster it degrades.

Dear PRD,

If you live in the country where Karaoke is being popular, say East Asian Countries, your problem can be easily solved. Go and get the old /used analog video distributor(multiplexer) in the Used Electronic Market. I am designing chipsets for CCTV industry and I need those systems to emulate 16 or 32 video channels with a single analog camera source. That's the way I found mines, currently 6 of them.

Or you can google "CCTV Video Mux or Multiplexer", these look like DVR box.

I just want to know if the above mentioned setup is gonna work or not!

BNC . T connector will not work

but your post is a bit confusing

Also using a distributer i'll need to run a separate cable to each apartment which is not desirable ...

but you have signal wire to every apartment for intercom.

intercom system they have, which only has a +Video and a -Video input port in every apartment

i had to role out the ip based solution because

which camera did you use ??? does it have composite out ??

Is the intercom system amplifying the video signal for you? If so, this is pretty easy, if not you will need to do a fair bit of planning to make that work properly.