cleve_rocks

POE, Switch, and power line adapters

Just joined but have read many posts.

I am looking to install 8~10 IP cameras in my home. These would all be accessible through the attic and eves on a single floor. I would like to avoid running 10 ethernet lines through the walls because of cost and difficulty of the office area.

I was wondering if the following configuration would work.

10 3~5MP POE cameras being feed by a single 16 port switch (with POE) in the garage to minimize noise and heat (attic is to hot). This switch then communicate with 600Mbps power line adapter (like ZyXEL 600 Mbps Powerline AV2 Gigabit Pass-Thru Adapter). In the office, connect the other end of the power line to router. Router would then be hardwired to PC running the NVR software.

The switch would be something like TRENDnet TPE-1620WS Smart 10/100/1000Mbps 16-Port Gigabit Web Smart PoE+ Switch or would a 10/100 be enough switching power?

Would this type of setup work? Would the power line adapter be quick enough to process the amount of data coming into it from the switch? I would like to allow cameras to minimize data traffic but would like to plan for full capture.

On the PC front, this would be a newer Intel I7 class machine with gigaport ethernet. Router would be gigaport throughput. Still working on the type of cameras/software but mostly concerned about identifying the ways to get the signals to computer before starting to buying all the parts.

Thank you for any advice.

I would NOT use a power line adapter. Never had any great reliability using them.

Use Ubiquiti radio's to bridge your network where needed. I'd use the Pico's since you won't have to deal with directional, just program, install, enjoy. I'd install the Pico's on the outside of your house. Use 2.4GHz if LOS is a issue and 5GHz if it is not. You don't need the Pico HP.

PoE Switch(s). Make sure you have enough amps/watts to handle the cams. Netgear is reliable and consistant.

Server, Camera's & Software? If you don't have a budget, go with 100% Video Insight & Advidia IP cams. Cams come with free licenses and 3 year warranty. You could then use a i3 quad to run all with no issues at all. save money on the server and spend it on the software & cams. If you have a budget, use Security Camera Kings equipment. Decent quality for the money spent.

Yes I am a Dealer for both

Just joined but have read many posts.

I am looking to install 8~10 IP cameras in my home. These would all be accessible through the attic and eves on a single floor. I would like to avoid running 10 ethernet lines through the walls because of cost and difficulty of the office area.

I was wondering if the following configuration would work.

10 3~5MP POE cameras being feed by a single 16 port switch (with POE) in the garage to minimize noise and heat (attic is to hot). This switch then communicate with 600Mbps power line adapter (like ZyXEL 600 Mbps Powerline AV2 Gigabit Pass-Thru Adapter). In the office, connect the other end of the power line to router. Router would then be hardwired to PC running the NVR software.

The switch would be something like TRENDnet TPE-1620WS Smart 10/100/1000Mbps 16-Port Gigabit Web Smart PoE+ Switch or would a 10/100 be enough switching power?

Would this type of setup work? Would the power line adapter be quick enough to process the amount of data coming into it from the switch? I would like to allow cameras to minimize data traffic but would like to plan for full capture.

On the PC front, this would be a newer Intel I7 class machine with gigaport ethernet. Router would be gigaport throughput. Still working on the type of cameras/software but mostly concerned about identifying the ways to get the signals to computer before starting to buying all the parts.

Thank you for any advice.

Your idea about power line adapters is OK

The only one thing I would do

perform network stress test between end points

u want to see reliable performance for about 100-120 mbps

Thank you for your comments. I haven't used a Ubiquiti before. Would that have the bandwidth for 10 3M~5M cameras?

I do have some experience with powerline adapters with so good experience I just don't know if they can handle the bandwidth.

If any other comments, I would welcome them.

To me it sounds like you are only saving yourself 1 cabling run, from the switch to the router. Would it be that difficult to run a single run?

Also I second the use of a wireless bridge as opposed to the powerline adapters, I highly doubt they will be anywhere near gigabit speeds.

To me it sounds like you are only saving yourself 1 cabling run, from the switch to the router. Would it be that difficult to run a single run?

Also I second the use of a wireless bridge as opposed to the powerline adapters, I highly doubt they will be anywhere near gigabit speeds.

Do not doubt

Buy and test

and who need gigabit speed for one or few cameras