camnoob

Please recommend: <$1000 system

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a system for my home. I've been looking at the costco systems (Lorex 16 Channel Eco4 Stratus 960H DVR Security System with 2TB HDD and 12 700TVL Cameras), however, after reading a few threads on this forum, it doesn't seem like a very good system.

Is there one someone can recommend for less than $1000?

Thanks in advance.

Costco usually has some IP packaged systems around that price range. Who many cameras are you looking to get? At less then a grand you are either going to get a decent DVR or NVR with a couple cameras or a semi decent DVR with 8-16 semi decent cameras in a package.

Thanks for your input.

My biggest concern with the lorex kit is the quality of the image. If there's 16 cameras and they all suck, might as well get 4 better ones so you can actually see something.

So 1080p nvr is the way to go?

How is this one for $900?

Swann 8 Channel 3MP NVR Security System with 2TB HDD and 4 1080p Cameras

Or would it be of better value to build my own, knowing not much about these things, but having a basic knowledge of networking?

I am happy with the 4 Hikvision 3 MP bullets (2032) and Hikvision NVR w/ a 3 TB HD that I installed Got the cameras and NVR from Nelly's.

I thought they sell the Derytech NC-KD032 or they actually selling the ds-2cd2032-i now?

Any, I reviewed a few of the Hikvision cameras and they are pretty good at any price. The Dahua's are pretty decent too. I would not go analog, it's like buying an old analog TV or a flip phone, sort of takes you back 5-8 years in technology, but not in a good nostalgic sort of way.

I thought they sell the Derytech NC-KD032 or they actually selling the ds-2cd2032-i now?

Any, I reviewed a few of the Hikvision cameras and they are pretty good at any price. The Dahua's are pretty decent too. I would not go analog, it's like buying an old analog TV or a flip phone, sort of takes you back 5-8 years in technology, but not in a good nostalgic sort of way.

hi buellwinkle, i've read a lot of your responses and consider you one of the resident experts. can you please comment on this kit: http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-3MP-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Cameras.product.100058520.html

(including a consideration to value)

I also use the Swann-8-Channel-3MP-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4 (Now -1080p-Cameras.

Really happy with it!!!

Fun little feature it has (not sure if other NVR's have this) the ability to play a .WAV file. Since our front door is inside a courtyard separated by an 8 foot gate, the audio out from the NVR plugs into an inline A/B auto switch that connects to master bedroom/bathroom in ceiling Polk speakers.