telc

Sub $400 NVR recommendation

Looking for a NVR that will support 4 or 8 Hikvision IP cameras for under $400 without with the harddrive.

Requirements:

I want something that will record 1080P or 3M camera without any loss of quality.

Reputable company that puts out regular software updates and has good support.

I found this 4 camera one for under $400: http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=4142

That's the exact one I was going to recommend. I have used many of these for various different people and will continue to.

Did they change the look of it without changing the model #?

Some look like this:

237970_1.jpg

The newer ones look like this:

237971_1.jpg

The newer ones look like this:

237971_1.jpg

Hikvision has been changing for a while to cases like this on all their entry level models. I think I haven't known for ages anyone who used the controls on the front, so I guess it is just a matter of costs saving.

The first picture looks like the honeywell entry level systems, MindTwist makes a good point, no one uses the controls, and I would assume they want to go for their own look.

Yeah, You're getting good advice. However, if you're a tinkerer, and don't mind more work, you can build your own XPEnology server. My build was $144.00 in parts (supports 5 or so cameras.) But then as soon as you put a price on your time in building it, installing software on it, then it obviously doesn't come close to penciling out. The other posters are steering you in a nice, easy, low-drama direction. However, one advantage to building your own, is that it's super easy to upgrade. Just buy a new mobo and / or hdds and reinstall Synology DSM and keep going. Also, I use mine to act as a media server for all my files. It backs up my Mac, and makes all this plus the Surveillance footage available via cellphone or computer. And it streams movies and tv remotely, like Netflix. And it automically downloads all my TV shows and movies. It serves kindle books also. I was sick for a long time, and had time to put this all together. If I hadn't gotten sick, it would have made better financial sense to just buy a Synology DSM and / or Hikvision NVR.