QC444

Newegg is NOT the great place it used to be. What happened?

I've been a long time fan of NewEgg, but no more. Lately, seems the only thing I can get from them is defective merchandise and VERY poor customer service.

And it isn't just me. After Googling NewEgg complaints, it seems complaints against them have taken a sharp rise. What happened?

Did they change hands? Stock holders demanding higher returns?

I just received a hard drive from them and right off the bat it clicks. It's that hard clicking sound you hear from drives that are about to go dead or crash. From what I've been reading here's what happens at NewEgg.....

They make most of their money from shipping...NOT from selling merchandise. So, every time they ship out an item and charge shipping, they make money because of the huge discounts they get from UPS and FedEx and USPS etc. When you have to RETURN an item and pay return shipping, the pot just gets sweeter for NewEgg. They make money on the initial shipping, AND the return shipping. When they offer FREE shipping, it's not NewEgg that's giving you free shipping. Instead, the item is coming from a 3rd party and they demand their 3rd party suppliers ship you the item for free. So you can see how NewEgg never loses.

If you do an RMA you will see that they HIGHLY urge you to use THEIR UPS link for shipping the item back touting a big discount on the shipping and other "benefits". Problem is, the shipping they quote is the same or higher than if you went direct through the shipper.

Also, a friend of mine bough an Windows Operating system from them. When he tried to Activate it, Microsoft declined. When he called Microsoft and spoke to a support agent, they advised him the software had already been activated....get this...over 400 times !! They also informed him that the item he had had been returned previously so someone bought it, took the product key, then returned it. Nice. Newegg refused to take the software back. He's taking it to small claims court.

Also, one NewEgg support representative told him that sometimes people at the shipping warehouse will open the software and write down the Product Key before packing and shipping the product. Wow. If you buy an item with a Product Key you should always make sure the package has never been opened. (Although most shipping warehouses also have resealing machines so it might be hard to tell.

Now in all fairness, I have purchased some other items from them without issues but it seems in general, their service is declining. I won't take any more chances with them myself.

Have any of you found more reliable sources for computer hardware than NewEgg?

Just a note: you are the "Shipper." UPS, FedX, USPS, etc. is the "Carrier." A common shipping nomenclature error but it drives me nuts. Been using NewEgg since 2000, but not so much anymore. Lately I've been buying from Amazon. I don't know why I made this change, it just happened. My NewEgg Rule #1 was always "get it right the first time" and don't expect to have a satisfactory return experience. This is now my Amazon Rule #1.

Just a note: you are the "Shipper." UPS, FedX, USPS, etc. is the "Carrier." A common shipping nomenclature error but it drives me nuts. Been using NewEgg since 2000, but not so much anymore. Lately I've been buying from Amazon. I don't know why I made this change, it just happened. My NewEgg Rule #1 was always "get it right the first time" and don't expect to have a satisfactory return experience. This is now my Amazon Rule #1.

I know the difference between shipper and carrier. But if you want to point out in my post where I used the terms incorrectly I would love the lesson in grammar

I just received a new hard drive from them that I purchased before the fiasco above came to light and as heaven is my witness, it's bad and I have to RMA it.

I think I'll shop local places like Tiger Direct first from now on. The small difference in cost will probably be worth the hassle of return shipping and time lost. It may even be safer to purchase through ebay than NewEgg. At least ebay will definitely give you back your money as long as you return the item. A considerable number of people are recently claiming NewEgg is telling them their items were received back as damaged in order to avoid refunds. If true, that would be a new low but not so surprising for modern merchants.

Looks like New egg are determined to make money out of every experience regardless. As a small business myself I swallow the loss when I make a mistake, it teaches me not to repeat mistakes and customers ultimately get a better experience.

New Egg are GREEDY plain and simple. The first sign is those premium are telephone numbers on their customer service line.

I have never used them and I NEVER will because of the experiences others have had.

If Newegg staff have stolen product key from software then it's NewEgg's responsibility not the poor unfortunate customer.

they just deny a solution it's called STONEWALLING and it's illegal.

IF A DEAL LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE THEN IT PROBABLY IS....

A product key which has been activated over 400 times for a current operating system sounds like a volume license key, one which is meant to be used by a corporation not sold to individuals.

I stopped using new egg because of their crazy stupid shipping cost, and the fact they don't offer a business to business service in Canada.

I stopped using NewEgg a year or two ago, and almost exclusively get hardware off Amazon.

The reason?

Amazon Prime. I can get cheap 2-day shipping... which used to cost me DEARLY at NewEgg.

I spend $30k a year at Newegg for the company I work at. No issues, NET 30 terms. But use Amazon for personal purchases. Cheaper and Prime like already mentioned.