Sign in to follow this  
213chrisp

IP camera purchase help?

im new to the site but ive been reading alot about IP camera's and decided i would start my own forum and go from here.

my idea is to setup a deer feeder system that will toss out corn at set times during the day, and i plan to run a 200ft ethernet cord underground from the house to this feeder and construct a wooden stucture to house the wiring and the cam so most of the elements will be out from direct sunlight and rain/snow and such. i know being its outside and the distance its going to force me to use POE, so that limits my choices for camera's and being its outdoor i was assuming it should be ip66 approved , distance will only be about 15-20ft unless the camra lens needs to be adjusted farther away due to lens size but that can be tweaked with when i go to setup everything. and set this up to stream threw pc and can be remotly watched by anyone in family out of state to watch the animals feed from the feeder.

budget for the camera is under 200$

was thinking of a panasonic model but the poe is only 100ft which kinda killed that idea.

so then started looking at foscam, they seem to have steady reviews for being outdoor and poe.

im not looking for SUPER good quality just something i can watch some deer with at day or night.

any and all suggestions or tips i greatly appreciate!

also for got add, i will be running a poe injector since its just 1 cam im setting up, dont think there is a reason to run a switch just for the 1 device or am i worng there too?

im new to the site but ive been reading alot about IP camera's and decided i would start my own forum and go from here.

my idea is to setup a deer feeder system that will toss out corn at set times during the day, and i plan to run a 200ft ethernet cord underground from the house to this feeder and construct a wooden stucture to house the wiring and the cam so most of the elements will be out from direct sunlight and rain/snow and such. i know being its outside and the distance its going to force me to use POE, so that limits my choices for camera's and being its outdoor i was assuming it should be ip66 approved , distance will only be about 15-20ft unless the camra lens needs to be adjusted farther away due to lens size but that can be tweaked with when i go to setup everything. and set this up to stream threw pc and can be remotly watched by anyone in family out of state to watch the animals feed from the feeder.

budget for the camera is under 200$

was thinking of a panasonic model but the poe is only 100ft which kinda killed that idea.

so then started looking at foscam, they seem to have steady reviews for being outdoor and poe.

im not looking for SUPER good quality just something i can watch some deer with at day or night.

any and all suggestions or tips i greatly appreciate!

also for got add, i will be running a poe injector since its just 1 cam im setting up, dont think there is a reason to run a switch just for the 1 device or am i worng there too?

Do not buy foscam...its crap. Just buy a Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I for about 175 and you are done. If you need a particular angle of view/zoom you may be better off getting the varifocal version which is about 100 more.

Also what model Panasonic were you looking at, the camera itself would not limit poe to 100 feet.

and is it possiable to run a underground cat6 cable longer then 300ft? i would like to get it past a barn which would be close to 400ft, wasnt sure if someone tried a distance that far or not?

ssmith, exactly what is that because it has me confused on what its suppost to do.

if its just a range enxtender for wifi, it doesnt solve my issue of getting power to my webcam. and if im going to put a underground 6 line, why would i just not take advanatage of that for data and power cause hardline will always be better then wifi . can you explain this technology better for me?

so back to my other question since ive yet to get an answer.

and is it possiable to run a underground cat6 cable longer then 300ft? i would like to get it past a barn which would be close to 400ft, wasnt sure if someone tried a distance that far or not?

i understand that, but im asking if i run a poe injector will the camera work at 400ft? i think what i read they was only rated for 300ft ,thats why im asking.

That's where I misunderstood and suggested wireless. I was thinking the barn had power.

i understand that, but im asking if i run a poe injector will the camera work at 400ft? i think what i read they was only rated for 300ft ,thats why im asking.

Actually the maximum distance is 300 meters but I have cameras 450' POE in a parking deck and they work fine.

They make extenders but they will blow your budget out of the water.

My main concern would be lightening. It's going to get hit!

Actually the maximum distance is 300 meters but I have cameras 450' POE in a parking deck and they work fine.

328 Feet or 100 meters

That's where I misunderstood and suggested wireless. I was thinking the barn had power.

understandable and sorry for confusion. just was hoping someone else has had experience with running a long line like this and could say yes it would work or no it wont. also i noticed there are different grades of cables and with being this distance i would have to get solid copper core wiring and not coper coated correct?

328 Feet or 100 meters

it would be between a valley and next to a old wooden barn with a tin roof, you think it would stike a cam that is 5ft off the ground in a wooden fixture over all the trees in the hills (about 50plus feet) and the barn next to it?

i would assume your running a poe switch as well? all the injectors ive seen only says 100m which is 328ft.

That is the spec they guarantee it to work. That doesn't mean it won't work beyond that.

If you go Ethernet over Coax distance won't be an issue.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_acc/media_converters/cam_t8640/

http://www.nvt.com/content.php?type=product&key=ec1701&cid=root

The extenders we use have PoE port on the remote side, so yes, you can run a long distance and still have PoE on the other side. To be safe, run Cat6 foil shielded burial grade cable. If it works, great, if it doesn't, you can still use the Cat6 extender. Also, get decent wire, not discount wire. Get it from a local trusted electrical supply store. Figure $200-300 for a spool. Also, run it in conduit and put pull boxes about every 100' because if you put too much tension pulling it you can damage the wire. It's all solid copper wire, stranded wire is for patch cables.

There was one company in Taiwan that made a PoE switch that went out 200m which was very cool and was not expensive, under $100 for a 4 port PoE switch. I thought about importing them but would be afraid the demand would be too low. Don't know how they do it but they did a live demo and it worked.

i would assume your running a poe switch as well? all the injectors ive seen only says 100m which is 328ft.

That is the spec they guarantee it to work. That doesn't mean it won't work beyond that.

If you go Ethernet over Coax distance won't be an issue.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_acc/media_converters/cam_t8640/

http://www.nvt.com/content.php?type=product&key=ec1701&cid=root

only issue with this, is cost, puts my budget out of wack if i go this route. i guess ill just run a poe injector and keep it around 200ft and buy a good burial cable and call it a day.

any option to get it around 400ft isnt worth the 300 bucks more.

now i guess back to the original post for camera's??????

like i said on my first post was looking at foscam but someone suggested to stay away and suggested 1 camera, anyone else have anything they suggest that supports POE and outdoor thats under 200 bucks?