boomeranging

newbie help- only hik 2cd2032 decided

Background info:

newbie here going DIY route

So after spending countless hours on this forum I've only decided that I'll use the hikvision ds-2cd2032 fixed 4mm. I'm struggling to make any further decision so it's time to ask for help. I am a handyman but hate using windows OS-have only a mac laptop + ext. monitor now.

help request

I'm looking for ease of use, leaning toward NVR setup but not sure what make/model will suffice my current and future needs. It's either hikvision or dahuas I guess... for my budget.

I plan to be able to view the cameras through my iphone and computer. I hope to have monitors set up in 3locations eg bedroom, living, garage and could utilize an ipad in the future. I heard if I go PC route I can use POE switches and not have to run the cat5e cables to back of house. Currently I do not own a windows based PC (I can invest/setup a basic one with no problem). I hate playing with network ports/firewalls etc. and am not good at it so that's the main boundary and would rather not invest in the time to tinker that way. I plan to purchase the hikvision from amazon as it's $180shipped to US and seems to be the cheapest online, even after comparing with aliexpress. FYI I'm in Canada.

1) Please recommend all components that is need for PC +blue iris route,

or

NVR for my current and future needs.

2) Please advise on the popular places to shop for the NVR.

3) Can I setup the NVR/pc at an enclosed location eg. closet and still access hd video stream on computer? (I know HD stream is not possible with ipad/iphone etc.).

desired current plan

4 cameras: 1 in front of house, 1 at back of house facing garage, 1 on garage facing house, 1 in garage.

monitor over internet, auto-record to cut out motionless scenes, setting options to turn ir on/off via program. I guess I don't need to be too concerned about recording frames/sec as most recorders should do just fine?

future plans

2 cheap cameras ones for side corridors, 1 camera inside house hallway, receive audio from garage, 1camera vandal dome for garage eaves on back alley side to monitor passing traffic. total cameras 8. possible detached IR if needed.

Application: (see pictures)

2story above ground house: (front to back) 2ft flight stairs-> 33ft front yard -> 60ft deep house -> 33ft backyard ->enclosed garage->back alley, 3ft wide corridors on both sides of house.

Total current Budget $1500

4xds-2cd2032 $180= $680

bulk cat5e 1000ft $50 (i already have terminals)

UNDECIDED: NVR or computer based Microcenter+poe switches, no ups.

birdview.jpg.f8e7ac00382af24b3455ce847f14ccb4.jpg

1266113881_birdview2.jpg.361b14cdb388215e91090b0c6290413f.jpg

931584450_frontview.jpg.6b0f31bc85efaa6af42c5d5aa2dbe6ea.jpg

I can't provide any kind of professional advice in regards to your camera locations (or even for sure your camera selection), but I can tell you that I've heard really good things about the Hikvision 3MP bullet cameras from multiple sites and reviewers I'm starting to trust.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding spec'ing out my design plans and implementation, but it appears I started on the other end. I plan on using a few dropcam pros to help create a hybrid environment (probably 3 of them in the house in areas I wouldn't mind being exposed if somehow their site or my login credentials were compromised, but locations that would still provide security to my setup, including one in my NVR room to ensure I have video recording if anyone is crazy enough to try and take my server rack with them).

That said, I'm a web developer / programmer and for me the idea of running my security system on a regular PC doesn't swallow well. I decided I wanted a dedicated NVR rack server, but hadn't decided on which yet. I spent a good week in my spare time researching and finally settled on the Synology Surveillance package (which runs on any Synology NAS). They have an NVR recommendation tool to help you identify what you'll need to handle the fps, camera resolution, and storage requirements for your setup that seems okay.

They're customer support has repeatedly told me that the RS814 (~$600) is capable of handling more 1080p video feeds with supported cameras than the RS812+ which has twice the CPU processing power and up to three time the memory. I'm still perplexed by this, but I plan on eventually buying one of their rack NAS solutions to become my primary NAS on my network and switching my Drobo FS I have currently to an off-site backup solution for that. Ultimately I'll probably end up with both the RS814 and the RS812+ and whichever actually handles more cameras better will be the one that runs my surveillance setup full-time long-term.

I don't believe the Hikvision cameras you're looking at are directly supported (yet), but supposedly they are supported well via PSIA or Onvif (but use PSIA as it supports motion detection from the camera rather than on the NVR which kills your CPU and reduces the fps / number of cameras you can support as a result).

All in all I think we're ultimately looking at similar setups (I'll have at least 8-12 cameras in my setup long-term) and I think the Synology Surveillance NVR will suit your needs well. You may not be able to run all of your cameras at 1080p directly to the NVR for recording simultaneously (though the PSIA motion detection should help you get as many as possible), but I've had it recommended to me to run the majority of the non-critical live feeds such that they copy their video files to the synology server rather than streaming and recording directly which will allow you to have a ton of these at 1080p with flawless playback, etc.

For some amazing feedback I received regarding my plans please see this thread:

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=78606&sid=419327101b528cf17f723e815354903a

Hope this helps as a potentially good NVR fit for your needs.

I can't provide any kind of professional advice in regards to your camera locations (or even for sure your camera selection), but I can tell you that I've heard really good things about the Hikvision 3MP bullet cameras from multiple sites and reviewers I'm starting to trust.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding spec'ing out my design plans and implementation, but it appears I started on the other end. I plan on using a few dropcam pros to help create a hybrid environment (probably 3 of them in the house in areas I wouldn't mind being exposed if somehow their site or my login credentials were compromised, but locations that would still provide security to my setup, including one in my NVR room to ensure I have video recording if anyone is crazy enough to try and take my server rack with them).

That said, I'm a web developer / programmer and for me the idea of running my security system on a regular PC doesn't swallow well. I decided I wanted a dedicated NVR rack server, but hadn't decided on which yet. I spent a good week in my spare time researching and finally settled on the Synology Surveillance package (which runs on any Synology NAS). They have an NVR recommendation tool to help you identify what you'll need to handle the fps, camera resolution, and storage requirements for your setup that seems okay.

They're customer support has repeatedly told me that the RS814 (~$600) is capable of handling more 1080p video feeds with supported cameras than the RS812+ which has twice the CPU processing power and up to three time the memory. I'm still perplexed by this, but I plan on eventually buying one of their rack NAS solutions to become my primary NAS on my network and switching my Drobo FS I have currently to an off-site backup solution for that. Ultimately I'll probably end up with both the RS814 and the RS812+ and whichever actually handles more cameras better will be the one that runs my surveillance setup full-time long-term.

I don't believe the Hikvision cameras you're looking at are directly supported (yet), but supposedly they are supported well via PSIA or Onvif (but use PSIA as it supports motion detection from the camera rather than on the NVR which kills your CPU and reduces the fps / number of cameras you can support as a result).

All in all I think we're ultimately looking at similar setups (I'll have at least 8-12 cameras in my setup long-term) and I think the Synology Surveillance NVR will suit your needs well. You may not be able to run all of your cameras at 1080p directly to the NVR for recording simultaneously (though the PSIA motion detection should help you get as many as possible), but I've had it recommended to me to run the majority of the non-critical live feeds such that they copy their video files to the synology server rather than streaming and recording directly which will allow you to have a ton of these at 1080p with flawless playback, etc.

For some amazing feedback I received regarding my plans please see this thread:

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=78606&sid=419327101b528cf17f723e815354903a

Hope this helps as a potentially good NVR fit for your needs.

Thanks a bunch for the very detailed information slkdesign. I really wasn't expecting someone to put that much effort in a reply!

It's a personal choice but I try to reduce the amount of radio waves in my environment. I've even taken the trouble to run LAN cable directly to my laptop to avoid using wifi. This and also the possibility of interference and transmission issues I would go with a hardwired route for all my cameras. The dropcam pro seems to garner good reviews on Amazon I'm sure it'll suite well for an easy installation.

[MOD: Edited out banned retailer]

Keep us updated with your Synology gear!

Boomeranging,

I agree 100% about hardwiring. That said, the deropcam's are a nice backup security to my primary security if that makes sense (though I'd love if they offered a hard wired one)!

Best of luck! I've heard good things about Nelly's as a site to buy from.