mrwonderful

Port forwarding trouble help

Hello,

Im new to the whole surveillance thing, even more so the networking side of it. I have just managed to install 8 analogue cameras at my residence, including a DVR connected to my router. It seems that i have given up on viewing these cameras over 3G, as i have spent a lot of time and effort setting it up with no luck. I have managed to get it working over WIFI and i think i am ready to give it another go.

Now i know you all probably see this type of thread quite often, but no matter how much i read it doesnt seem to help. I was hoping someone could walk me through the setup, meanings of certain things and perhaps get this working.

Now the system is just your average chinese unit, with it's own IP on my computer network. In the options, it shows several ports:

239361_1.jpg

239361_2.jpg

Now my issue is i dont know which IP, or port to use for 3G. Also i dont know if these ports are correct, and if so, that they are not being blocked by my firewall.

Any help is appreciated

Jacob

Forward ports 85, 86 and 9000 on your router (192.168.1.1) to your DVR (192.168.1.100) in both TCP and UDP. Or even better, set up your DVR IP (192.168.1.100) as the DMZ host on your router, so all incoming traffic is sent to it.

And of course configure the program on your smartphone to connect to your external IP (www.whatismyip.com), and disconnect from the wifi before trying. If you do not have a static IP, you will need a dynamic DNS service.

The first thing to just try in your mobile app for your phone is this-

In the phone app under address, fill in that embedded 'My E-Video' that I see in your dvr. This is assuming for that embedded DNS, you have either created an account there or whatever the manual tells you to do to activate it and receive your custom address. For the port in the app, fill in 86, the mobile port of the dvr system. It is your custom 'My E-Video' address that will point the app to the mobile port, 86. If that can get you going, cool beans and simple enough.

You mention you have it working wi-fi. What address do you use when you are at another location other than home and hit the cameras via the internet?

One problem I see is that your dvr is not in the same subnet as your router. The gateway field- your router, is at 192.168.001.001. The IP Addr field- the IP address of your dvr, is currently 192.168.000.100. Not knowing your dvr specifically realize, what I would do to try and get things right is this, PROVIDED you are able to log into your router and you are either okay with port forwarding or you're willing to learn a very simple and basic thing that you SHOULD learn for the future. And also try this if nothing is really working for remote viewing your system on another PC and/or your phone app.

- Change UPNP to off in the DVR. Ideally you do not want that on. It's there to try and make things automatic between the router and the dvr, but it can sometimes be problematic.

- Change Type from static to DHCP and save. The dvr will probably tell you it needs to reboot. That is because in DHCP mode, the router now assigns the dvr an IP address. When it's accomplished, either by a reboot or just saving, you'll notice the dvr IP address showing will change, but the first three octets of the IP Addr and Gateway will match, that being 192.168.001. The only difference will be the last octet for the IP address of the DVR, as it should.

- Now change the Type to static IP and save or reboot. What this does is save your new IP Addr so it won't change, no matter if you turn the dvr off or unplug it to move it. It will always be that address until such time you might need to change it again, such as getting a new router. Than you would do this process again to reprogram it.

- The three ports in the drv that should remain the same as you have them now is this-

Data port- 9000

Web Port- 85

Mobile port- 86

If the web port changes back to 80, manually change that back to 85 and save. Port 80 is usually blocked by your ISP.

Now on to your router, where you'll have to port forward those three ports; 9000, 85, and 86. Every router is different with that. What router do you have? You can usually find a bunch of youtube vids for your specific router that cover such things. Your router may even include directions right in the interface menu. In my router your setup would look like this-

For port forwarding 9000-

Service port [begin port]= 9000

IP= [the IP Addr field in your dvr]

Internal port [end port]= 9000

Protocol= both [or all]

Status= Enable

For port forwarding 85-

Service port [begin port]= 85

Internal port [end port]= 85

Protocol= both [or all]

Status= Enable

For port forwarding 86-

Service port [begin port]= 86

Internal port [end port]= 86

Protocol= both [or all]

Status= Enable

Make sure all that is saved in your router.

That's it. Now when you're at a remote PC, in the browser address you type in that custom My E-Video address and type :85 to the end and you'll hit the cameras web interface. Download any activeX it tells you to. In the phone app, you'd input the same info as I mentioned at the beginning.

That's a lot of info to digest. Hopefully some of it make sense and will help you. Good luck!

Edited by Guest

Just a tip don't use port 86 for web viewing, its a registered port, which means another service may attempt to use it by default. You will probably never see an issue its just bad practice to use registered ports for applications other then the registered ones.

Forward ports 85, 86 and 9000 on your router (192.168.1.1) to your DVR (192.168.1.100) in both TCP and UDP. Or even better, set up your DVR IP (192.168.1.100) as the DMZ host on your router, so all incoming traffic is sent to it.

And of course configure the program on your smartphone to connect to your external IP (http://www.whatismyip.com), and disconnect from the wifi before trying. If you do not have a static IP, you will need a dynamic DNS service.

Ok for starters i tried this. I forwarded the 3 ports to 192.168.1.100 in both TCP and UDP. I set up the DVR IP as the DMZ host and configured the application to use my external IP, trying all three ports with no success.

I found this in the event log:

Sun Jan 19 17:18:53 2014 Error (4) DCC-ACK not received;CM-MAC=10:0d:7f:f9:3b:48;CMTS-MAC=00:23:eb:77:fa:ab;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

_________________________________________________________________________________________

In the phone app under address, fill in that embedded 'My E-Video' that I see in your dvr. This is assuming for that embedded DNS, you have either created an account there or whatever the manual tells you to do to activate it and receive your custom address. For the port in the app, fill in 86, the mobile port of the dvr system. It is your custom 'My E-Video' address that will point the app to the mobile port, 86. If that can get you going, cool beans and simple enough.

I tried this using the address provided and the port suggested with no luck. I actually never signed up for or activated anything and this was one of the features that didnt work from the beginning. I think it is a PC browser remote view function.

You mention you have it working wi-fi. What address do you use when you are at another location other than home and hit the cameras via the internet?

I cant actually view the cameras at all if i am not at home. For this i use my routers LAN IP, but for obvious reasons can only access them when i am at home, connected to my own wifi.

I will now try what you have additionally set out.

Thanks

Ok, i had already set up the port forwarding and no issues there. I turned UPNP off and it rebooted my router. I tried to type this into my browser: http://02266a.dvripc.net:86, and it just seems to hang indefinitely. The only thing i didnt do is change my IP from static to dynamic, and then back to static. My IP is already static, what does that achieve exactly? Only reason is that i have a lot of things that connect to that IP within the house and i dont want to stuff about re programming everything, if you can understand. However if it's important i will do it.

I too noticed that the gateway and IP are different. Should they be the same?

As for the not forwarding that port, how do i go about deciding on which ports to use without just making up a number.

I wonder if ESET Nod32 is the culprit? It doesnt show any activity in the log.

Ok for starters i tried this. I forwarded the 3 ports to 192.168.1.100 in both TCP and UDP

This didn't work because that is NOT the address of your DVR at the moment. Since you can't get any remote working at this point, there's nowhere to go but up. I would suggest you try what I suggested. The worst that can happen is it still doesn't work.

If that My E-Video DDNS doesn't work or have no further information about how to set it up, what you'll need to do in your router is look at DDNS and see what options you have in the router. If it's newer, you'll probably have DYNDNS and No-IP. I would suggest using no-ip because it's hassle free, FREE.

https://www.noip.com/sign-up

You sign up for a free account and you'll get a host name such as mrwonderful.noip.biz, for example. Then in your router you put in your account details. Coupled with the process I layed previosuly, it should work out for you.

It's comlicated to tell someone how to do the whole thing, yet easy once you've done it a couple of times. If it's just too far beyond what you're comfortable doing, seek out a friend or family who's good with networking stuff and they'll get you going in no time. But the lack of properly networking your DVR right now is what's holding you up from viewing on the phone, and on a pc outside of your home. Good luck.

Yeah not an issue, im learning but not incompetent when it comes to this stuff.

Ok so i basically did everything you suggested bar change ip from static to DHCP and back to static. Mainly because i dont quite understand what this is going to achieve. It it just a process of gaining a NEW static IP address? How will this help me? Do i need to do anything about the gateway address and IP being different in my DVR menu?

Thanks for your help

As I said, the IP of your dvr is not in the same subnet as your router, as evidenced by your pictures above. So yeah, you need to assign a new IP address to your dvr. That can be done two ways- by doing it like I said or manually changing it by just typing in a new address and saving it in your dvr. The address must be in the same subnet as your gateway- your router, but it cannot match exactly and it can't be the same as anything else in your network, such as a printer or NAS, or there will be conflicts. That's why it's easier to do it the way I suggested earlier because the router will assign the dvr an address, as opposed to you looking through every address of stuff on your network to make sure you're not creating a conflict. This won't change anything in your router or other stuff you have networked. You're only adjusting the dvr.

As I said earlier, the gateway field showing in your dvr- your router address, is at 192.168.001.001. The IP Addr field in your dvr- the IP address of your dvr, is currently 192.168.000.100. That is no good. It should be something such as,

Gateway-192.168.001.001 [do not change this in the dvr]

DVR IP- 192.168.001.002 [or 005, or 008, whatever]

See what I mean- the numbers match except for the last three. Every number must match between the two addresses except for the last three. That gets the dvr in the same subnet as your router. As long as the new IP address of your dvr doesn't conflict with any other address of your networked stuff, you're on your way.

You keep saying you're not doing this step, but this is THE most important one to do. Failing to get that done will never network your dvr properly for remote viewing.

Then in the port forwarding stuff in your router, the new dvr address will need to be put into the port forwarding info for those three ports.

Awesome that is perfect information. Im only trying to understand what i am doing before i do it. No point carrying out suggestions to troubleshoot if you dont know what you are troubleshooting. But what you have explained makes perfect sense and i fully understand the concept. Ill do as you suggested and post results.

This router seems to be a little different to others that i have had. It has DHCP on by default so i turned it off. It didnt re assign the IP and it remained the same. I changed it manually which i knew would not work. I had to reset the router in order to restore internet connectivity. Im out of ideas and not sure what i need to do. If i am not mistaken i need to change the second last 3 digits of my ip to '001' to match the gateway ip in my DVR's network properties, so i can then i can create the correct forwarding.

240286_1.jpg

You're working on the wrong end of the equation. My friend, you need to stop so you don't hose your wireless network and get someone to do this for you that knows what they're doing. That is the best advise I can give you. Good luck to you.

You're working on the wrong end of the equation. My friend, you need to stop so you don't hose your wireless network and get someone to do this for you that knows what they're doing. That is the best advise I can give you. Good luck to you.

Well look, if you dont want to help, thats fine, just say so. But unfortunately im going to have to work this one out myself. Im not as stupid as you are making out, just need to learn more and there's only one way to do that.

Thanks

It was not my intention to make you feel stupid. I spent a good deal of my time trying to write as pointed as I could to try and help you- a very good deal of my time in fact. The problem is it's too difficult to put into words really, and you are left to your own means to flounder on your own trying to apply what someone tells you to do. One, or a series of wrong guesses on your part can be destructive to an otherwise working wireless network, which makes it harder and harder to get back from on your own. I would take varascope up on his offer to help you personally. PM him and it could help you more. If that's not a solution, than a friend or family member who's good at gaming will probably know the process of networking your dvr because gaming often involves the same type of networking chores when you get into xbox and such. I purposefully do not make it a habit of trying to lead someone through networking on forums for this reason- it often proves futile in non-real time. Note to self, do not get involved in the future ever again.

Sorry my attempt didn't work out, but it wasn't from a lack of being patient and persistent on my part to try and help you. And again, my best advise is to have someone there, or remotely in real time, walk you through. Once you do it successfully, you'll learn it. You are not stupid. It can be confusing until you do it properly and understand it. Good luck.

Well look, if you dont want to help, thats fine, just say so. But unfortunately im going to have to work this one out myself. Im not as stupid as you are making out, just need to learn more and there's only one way to do that.

Thanks

I don't have a dog in this pony show, but many times it's difficult to assist someone on a specific problem without getting into legal issues. I will not assist anyone who, in my opinion, may damage what they have. Particularly when it comes to making changes to a router/dvr or firmware within anything. The best people to go to for those issues, is the router or DVR manufacturer directly via "support". Forums such as this are free and if you're able to get help for a specific issue, then that's a plus, but like I said, I will only help to a point that the problem won't become worse, without being "on-site" where the equipment is physically located. When I'm paid to come to an equipment site and for some reason, you're issue become worse, then it's on me and up to me to fix it. That's a different issue on a "free help" forum. Many times it's difficult to diagnose problems over the internet as each router/dvr/etc has their own versions/software/firmware which can be entirely different with their own versions of "bugs" and issues. Shockwave199 was doing the best for what they were given and able to do.

I've already lost my network once, I was able to get it up an running on my own. In fact, that was still easier than trying to route my DVR over 3G!

I have good knowledge of computers which is slightly limited when it comes to networks. But that does not mean I am incapable of achieving something on my own. All I need is some direction through which I can try different ways of solving the problem I have. Like I said, I have a basic understanding of port forwarding and what is required to set up the network with a static IP. The problem, however, is that this issue is obviously more in-depth and I have already had someone help me to no avail. I was able to connect to his network which was configured in exactly the same way mine is (including forwarding), on my mobile phone, but not my own.

I understand everyones concern, but I still feel that the comment in question was rude. If it was me on the other end, I would simply not reply.

I will take this somewhere else, thanks.

Ok, based on that screen shot of your router, your network is 192.168.0.xxx (unless you changed it at some point)

IN THE ROUTER: Leave DHCP ON! <--- This is what assigns addresses to machines in your network.

IN THE DVR: TURN DHCP OFF!!

Now, go to the DVR and make your IP address 192.168.0.251, that should be high enough not to mess with any other machine on the network.

Also in the DVR, the gateway and the DNS server (if it asks for that) should both be 192.168.0.1. If it asks for a second DNS server put in 8.8.8.8, that is the Google Open DNS, it is always a good backup in case your ISP's DNS decides to take a crap.

Once you have that adjusted, stay on the DVR and try to send a test email alert or try to sync to an internet time server like 1.pool.ntp.org and if that works, you have verified that your internet connection to the DVR is proper.

After that, you just need match up the ports being forwarded between the DVR and the Router. Here is a graphic I made to explain this to folks the top box represent the entire router, I just split it inside so you can see what is happening. This may be too simplistic for some people, but I made it for the lowest common denominator.

245563_1.png

Why is my gateway 192.168.001.100 as apposed to my IP which is 192.168.000.100?

I cant seem to change that. Does it matter?