HiddenMountain

Night colour problem

I have a small job resurrecting an older analog system. The owner bought it and had it installed 5 years ago. It promptly quit working and the jerk that did the install was long gone...

He simply gave up on it and it's been sitting ever since. I tried to sell him on a new IP system but his budget can't go there. So we compromised...

Its a Digimerge DVR with assorted cameras. The two outdoor cameras were vandalized so I replaced them.

Here's my problem...

The day time image is as good as can be expected for analogue. But the night image is very grainy, with "coloured" snow. The cameras are Digimerge DVP24DLR's, on 12V because that's what was there.

There are two metal halide floods near by and I'm wondering if they could be an issue.

Any help would be great! Thanks...

I'd expect black and white snow without outside interference. Does flipping off the halides get rid of the coloured snow? What about flipping off other lights or things that wouldn't be running and causing snow in the daytime?

I'd expect black and white snow without outside interference. Does flipping off the halides get rid of the coloured snow? What about flipping off other lights or things that wouldn't be running and causing snow in the daytime?

Thanks for the reply Kawboy.

The store manager is going to get back to me today and let me know what he found.

I suspect the halides but they said the last cams that were there didn't have this problem.

These cams have "Smart*IR Vision". I'm also wondering if that could be an issue...

I don't know about those particular cameras but the times I've seen coloured snow or interference at night when cams are in B&W mode were caused by cable shielding or balun issues, which is basically interference from an outside source getting in. Eliminating the noise source or improving shielding in cables or possibly power supply should do it. Those particular cams might just be susceptible as well. Try one of the cams in a different position at the store or at home and see if they do the same thing at night as well as swapping another different well-known (to you) cam in.

Update: It turns out that the problem is/was that the old (ancient) DVR was MJPEG and the cameras H264. During the day they worked fine but at night they would "hunt" and cause the "coloured snow".

The customer authorized the purchase of a new DVR and the problem is solved...

Umm, h.264 "analog" cameras?? I CAN see a crappy old DVR being the source of multicoloured snow though, especially on the analog side. Oh well, as long as it got sorted out...

Hi HM,

Firstly, Check power supply in the night is good enough.

In the low lighted condition, the image sensor of a camera can not press enough its inherent electronic noises, resulting in white grainy pixels flying around.

3D Noise Reduction can improve it.

Or provide enough lights.

Or LED / IR featured cameras can be your option to go for.