gattaca714

Walk me through my first purchase: $1000 Budget

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a 2 camera system right now, with the ability to add 2 more in the future.

Based on reviews here I assembled this package on Amazon but wanted to know two things:

a) Is this everything I need? Which network cables do I need? My house is currently setup on Cat5

b) What comparable setup should I also consider.

1) Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I Outdoor HD 3MP IP Bullet

1) Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-I Hi Def 3 MP Outdoor Bullet IP Vari-Focal

1) Dahua ION Series ESDV-NVRION-8 8 Channel 1080p Hi Def Mini NVR

1) WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache

1) TP-LINK TL-SF1008P 10/100Mbps 8-Port PoE Switch, 4 POE ports

This puts me in at $748

Your responses are appreciated. The 2032 camera will go near my front door. The 2632 will go on the side of my house pointed towards the street.

Why would you buy a NVR, and then a NAS? It would make more sense to buy just an internal hard drive for the NVR. Unless you plan on having each camera record on two places at the same time... Maybe you meant to buy a 3.5" hard drive, to install inside the NVR?

My bad; I understand now that it is indeed a 3.5" hard drive, and not a NAS... I do not know why they would put a "NAS" on the name, the red series is recommended for NAS, so yes, you are good to go.

I read on the NVR description: "Works with Dahua, Hikvision, and Dahua IP cameras - MD Recording works on Dahua and Dahua cameras". I would make sure before doing the purchase that you will be able to use motion detection with those Hikvision cameras. Otherwise, I would either change NVR, or cameras.

Motion detection does NOT work with hikvision on that NVR. You will be limited to full time recording.

Playback is 2 channel only.

Another option would be the following for a $1200-$1300 budget-

i know you said $1000, i just look at the experience you'll have with a traditional type IP/DVR box.

For a little be more it's worth it in my opinion.

buy a low end PC like this HP Pavilion 500-200t, 4th Gen i3 + the GT625 video card $54 upgrade - total $553

then the Hikvision outdoor bullets that i see online sometimes from $170 to $210

I personally like to use gigabit poe switches but a TPLink or DLink unmanaged poe switch is $90 to $120

The HP above only has a 1TB drive in it, could buy another 2TB online for probably $90 somewhere

then use Avigilon for your software. Contact a dealer on here for the 'core' license per camera which is very affordable

for what you are getting in return, you'll have a much better experience then the DVR route.

and finally do some research.. goto youtube and keyword the model numbers of products you are looking at

and there could be some video reviews. Especially for the software -- get a feel for the different offerings and see

which one will work the best for you. How user friendly is the software in navigation, searches, recorded video playback etc..

I'm sure there are videos out there for Avigilon, Blue Iris, Milestone, Exacq, DVR's, NVRs, etc..

Another option would be the following for a $1200-$1300 budget-

i know you said $1000, i just look at the experience you'll have with a traditional type IP/DVR box.

For a little be more it's worth it in my opinion.

buy a low end PC like this HP Pavilion 500-200t, 4th Gen i3 + the GT625 video card $54 upgrade - total $553

then the Hikvision outdoor bullets that i see online sometimes from $170 to $210

and finally do some research.. goto youtube and keyword the model numbers of products you are looking at

and there could be some video reviews. Especially for the software -- get a feel for the different offerings and see

which one will work the best for you. How user friendly is the software in navigation, searches, recorded video playback etc..

I'm sure there are videos out there for Avigilon, Blue Iris, Milestone, Exacq, DVR's, NVRs, etc..

+1

Avigilon and HIK camera = killer combo

I ended up buying the Hikvision - DS-7608NI-SE/8P NVR along with that 3TB hard drive.

Hopefully everything comes in by Saturday and I can begin to install.

ok.. let us know how it works out.. maybe post a video review of that dvr and it's menu operation.

that could help others as well.

good luck

The NVR is easy to work with, it automatically detected the Cameras without hesitation and recording and playback is easy to understand. I haven't played with motion based recording but at this point I'm not sure if I will.

Once I get a switch I'll hook it up for remote viewing and report if it's easy (at least for a novice).

I'm currious if the motion detection works. If you have some time to check I would love to hear the results.