robzee67

DVR'S TRANSMITTING INTERNET SPEED

I understand that each DVR as its own board,hardware, and software. What do you look for in the specs to find out how fast and the quality of the picture/video would be transmitted thru a high speed internet connection.

I somewhat get disapointed when i go online to some of the installations to verify on the quality of the picture.

Is Ip cameras better and their software?

I haven't install a PC base system yet...and i never toucht a PC with a card in it so i have no comparaison.

thanks for all the help!!

the DVR, PC or stand, is built to record live video and that quality should remain #1. the ability to view it live (smooth flowing frames) via the internet is dependant on your band width availability. Quality is NOT effected by bandwidth, overall frames viewed/passed per socond is. large bandwidth = fast flowing video. Quality of the video via the web is basically dependant on the DVR and the "client" work station's video card/monitor.

personally I do not "look" for the best quality pic web viewable DVR becasue it's just live video via the net. the best systems are those that record great pics and provide "efficient" WEB/client viewing because most of my clients can only afford DSL or lower data costs. Now my Gov's got the bandwidth and more so it's never an issue for them.

the whole reason why the DVR is there is to record high res video so you can use it, view it, get information from it. the web is just a nice to have. maybe one day bandwidth won't be an issue........ya right.

to answer your question; 10/100/1000 network is what you need to look for. this is going to be the network out put speed available to the DVR. 10 mbps is sloooooooooooower than the 1000mbps (gig) speed. Most cheap standalones only do 10mbps and the better ones are 100. the nice thing about the PC based is if I need to go faster I just replace the network card and I'm faster. and in the end it is your eye that makes the decision based on the final viewable product. if the DEMO looks and is slow/bad....stay away from it. sure they maybe having a slow connection but like I said not everyone has bandwidth like we do here in the US, right Rory! and I'm not a fan of loading ANYTHING onto a computer just to view it via the web. it shouldintegrate without any special software installs, plugins, or tweaks. kiss

it should say something about network 10/100. if not call them and make sure. go with 100 or 1000not 10......10 is slllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww. and make sure you try the demo or get advice concerning the software running the web because you can have all the bandwidth in the world and it still won't help poor software.

hi all,

just try it out:

http://www.direx-pro.com/

ID/password: 'test'/'test'

...and I'm not a fan of loading ANYTHING onto a computer just to view it via the web. it shouldintegrate without any special software installs, plugins, or tweaks. kiss

Firefox works w/o additional DLL - you will get approx. 1 frame per 2 seconds and probably in poor quality (because push JPEG service) instead of 10-15 FPS with IE and our plugin, but it works:

http://direx-pro.dyndns.org

PS: please use 'Alt' + 'Cntr' + 'Del' (task manager) to display the network traffic...

cool...what do i look for in the specs of the DVR to see if its going to be fast or slow out put speed?

How fast of an Upload speed are you going to have for the DVR?

If it is low, that will make the frame rate and the quality over the NET really poor. More cameras more bandwidth. Color, more bandwidth. Higher resolution, more bandwidth. You get the idea.

How fast of an Upload speed are you going to have for the DVR?

If it is low, that will make the frame rate and the quality over the NET really poor. More cameras more bandwidth. Color, more bandwidth. Higher resolution, more bandwidth. You get the idea.

...and it is depended from the video compression...

sometimes "low" means "1Mbps", sometimes "high" means "256Kbps"...

I just wish the upload bandwidth was higher for most consumer accounts. 256kbps is very slow.

Many people buy a DVR thinking they are going to buy 8 cameras and be able to watch them remotely real-time. Not a chance, won’t happen. They’ll be lucky to see 4-5fps with 4 cameras. And that with vary considerably due to the many factors that increase the frame size of an image.