tekkendork

I'm overwhelmed with all of the choices

I looked for a general guide or stickied posts to help me build my first security video system, but I'm confused by all of the choices!

I started looking at bundled systems like Swann, Lorex, Zmodo, etc. But buying components individually looks like the best option, correct?

We have a 3 story townhome with metal siding. I would like 2 to 3 cameras -- One exterior camera at ground level pointed at the front entrance and one interior camera in the living room on the second level. If I got a third camera, I would position it outside of the garage on the opposite side of the front entrance.

I'm thinking wireless is the way to go so I don't have to run cable over great lengths in difficult access areas.

Being able to see live video via iphone or website is very important.

I understand that I need a DVR to record the video. If this needs internet access to broadcast live video, it would be likely be located next to my computer on the 3rd floor.

So my setup would be DVR, 2 cameras and possibly wireless signal boosters due to the distance, correct?

I would like to keep the costs under $800 if possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks much

don't waste your time with wireless..it will not be stable. You need to run cable. Get an IP camera system with power of Ethernet (poe) Most are, this way run one cable to each cam. You can place the NVR anywhere and just run a cable from the nvr to your router. Hire someone to run the cable if you cannot do it yourself. It will be cheaper than spending money on wifi extenders and hours of your time trying to figure out why its not working...then giving up.

Individual components are always better as each camera has a SPECIFIC function and needs. Some need IR and some don,t. WDR is another perfect example.

I would caution against wireless as they are on public bands and must be susceptible to interference per FCC ruling. Power isn't wireless so why not run both. If you can get a CAT5/6 to a power plug, they make ethernet over powerline adapters. You can power your cameras and send IP over your home electrical wiring.

You should be able to do 2 cameras with this setup for $800 or less if you do the install. 3 Cameras would put you closer to $1000.

2 Outdoor 1.3 MP

1 Indoor 1.3

4ch NVR

Powerline adapters

Much appreciated.

I wonder if I could use MoCA adapters for shorter ethernet connections. I was considering that to expand my wired internet access anyway. I'm trying to avoid running long lengths of cable because the townhome has a slanted shed roof making attic access to the walls difficult. And the exterior is metal, so I don't want to punch more holes than I need to. A job for a professional, perhaps.

Regarding the NVR and cameras...should they be the same brand or can you mix? And I haven't searched for this yet, but what are some brands to consider and ones to ignore?

Thanks again everyone for your advice!

Same brand is recommended to avoid any possible issue. NVR's come with compatibility lists and if ONVIF compliant should not be an issue, however Murphy finds opportunities. Sometimes compatibility says the brand will work but a firmware version may not.

It is best to buy from one dealer, that speaks fluid English, and can help you with support if needed. A few will help with configuring before leaving their door so install is straight forward. PM if you need a list.

I've spent the last 3 hours doing research!

I have a few noob questions...

1. The NVR needs to be connected to a router in order to view the video remotely, correct?

2. If that's correct, I need to configure my router (port forwarding?) so the feed is accessible?

3. Then I need a 3rd party app for my iphone or desktop to view the video?

4. If I get a system that has motion detection, is there a specific app that will send me an alert on my phone?

Sorry for the questions. I'm a bit slow

Several manufacturers have their own mobile apps, so maybe a third party can be avoided. It may or may not be discussed in the product literature that ships with the unit. Check their website, that is always the best way to find out.

I've spent the last 3 hours doing research!

I have a few noob questions...

1. The NVR needs to be connected to a router in order to view the video remotely, correct?

2. If that's correct, I need to configure my router (port forwarding?) so the feed is accessible?

3. Then I need a 3rd party app for my iphone or desktop to view the video?

4. If I get a system that has motion detection, is there a specific app that will send me an alert on my phone?

Sorry for the questions. I'm a bit slow

I'm just one step above newb, so I'll give you my experience from the perspective of a Lorex LH158 owner....

Sort of quick answers:

1) In most home setups, yes. Depending on your internet provider (cable vs. dsl vs. other) there may be other options.

2) Yes. Longer details about my setup below.

3) As previously mentioned, check to see if the manufacturer supplies one. My Lorex system has one for Apple and Android (no Windows Phone ) But there are a few other 3rd party apps floating around as well.

4) I've been lurking on this site for awhile and I've seem a lot of talk about motion detection hassles. My lorex system is hard to fine tune and it's always triggering on something (strong wind sometimes, spiders, birds, etc.) I'd go nuts if I was emailed for each. What I've found is that masking works to quell much of the noise, setting the sensitivity also helps, but when I review the motion events timeline over a period of time, I can now spot the out of the ordinary events, which usually are delivery person, random solicitor, creepy guy with hand written note about cleaning my gutters but spent too much time trying to look in my windows...you know, the usual

I agree with a lot of the advice on this board:

o Pay for resolution

o Setup something dedicated for license plate reading if applicable/needed

o Pro install will save hassle and make sure it's done right (assuming "Pro" has a good customer track record)

o Wide sweeping vistas of your ponderosa are fun to look at but it's better to position and aim camera to best pickup details about dirtbags so law has something useful to work with.

Regarding the Lorex System: I wouldn't recommend it (or any of the low-budget systems) if you really need evidence gathering which may be never, but it's that one time that will haunt you if the system proves to be useless.

even more long winded....

After getting robbed last year, I ran out and grabbed a 8ch Lorex LH158 system from Costco. Crappy resolution, can't read license plates, various artifacts in no/low-light (camera flutter, fog looks like a snow storm, etc.). But, it was really easy to get setup for remote viewing which was my initial main criteria, because I had to know if I was getting robbed again while at work (I think a common psychological fallout). I've since had a monitored security system installed, so not I'm so reliant on checking the cameras as much from work (though I still frequently do )

My topology: Cable modem -> Router -> Lorex DVR. I set the IP on the DVR to be a static IP (not dished out by DHCP) and then configured the router to assign that IP to the DVRs MAC address (so it's always the same) then port forwarded the DVRs web and client ports. This then meant from work I just load up http://n.n.n.n:WebPort where n.n.n.n is the one assigned by cable company and the WebPort is for the web client on the DVR.

Initially, I had the DVR get it's IP from the router's DHCP (which is all default config) and that worked for many months, but after a power outage it decided to assign a different IP which then meant the port forwarding was dorked. With the static IP assigned to the DVRs MAC, only trouble now would be if cable company assigns my cable modem a new IP (less frequent). On my todo list is whip up a script that I'll run at network connect to ping http://www.whatismyip.com/, screenscrape, and then save to a cloud location. This would allow me to discover the new IP when it changes.

Well, that was a lot of text, so summary: Lorex manual was easy to follow to setup remote connection, its just the system is very lo-fi. My customizations were done within my scope of knowledge so I was comfortable with them.

So many choices for DVRs, Cameras, etc. I'm with you on the confusion thing. It just takes time to gather the data, I've learned a lot from this site and watching Youtube videos.

MrJimmo, I think its important to point out that your lorex system was an analog system and the issues you mentioned are not applicable to the higher resolution ip systems from lorex.

MrJimmo, I think its important to point out that your lorex system was an analog system and the issues you mentioned are not applicable to the higher resolution ip systems from lorex.

Further proves I'm still a noob Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks very much, MrJimmo. That was extremely helpful.

Network configuration will be a challenge for me but your explanation is a good pointer. I'll return with those questions eventually

Wireless has always been pissy in my house for one reason or another, but lots of people don't have problems so it might be worth considering something like this if you have a solid wireless network

sXHz4boFE9k

Couldn't find the deep specs on that bridge to see if it would support WPA2 security. Bridge is a nice solution when it's difficult to get a hardwire in place.

I was in that situation (didn't want to crawl around the attic and fish Ethernet), but the 2 routers I had on hand would only support either Open Network or WEP in bridge mode. WEP is very easy to crack so I'd consider it same as Open. I first tried PLA Network (ZyXel 600mpbs), which was actually really great...but about once a week, I had to plug-cycle the far end because it would just disappear. I eventually gritted my teeth and ran the hard line, glad now because it's rock solid and turned out not so horrible.