OSCS

Outdoor motion detection challenges

We're using Pelco D/N cameras and a Dedicated Micros DVR ported to a security panel for monitoring of video motion outputs. The problem is that even with sensitivity on low the system triggers on rain in the lights and mist from the site (composting material). This creates the problem of excessive activity in our monitoring center which, if we enabled it, would lead to excessive activity charges.

I'm looking for ideas to decrease the sensitivity or otherwise increase our confidence in the activity detection. We are discussing using motion detectors, PIR, in a cross-zone configuration but the challenge is the distances involved and the lack of wire/power sources for the various views.

Ideas? How do you guys deal with outdoor motion sensing and the need or not to view live video for verification?

the only way that you will get a reasonaby accurate outdoor trigger is to use an outdoor PIR, there are very few that work successfully, the only one i have managed is the Detection Systems...Now Bosch outdoor model and then wire that to the DVR

I've used the Optex, like them very much. My bigger challenge is the need to do this via wireless without local power. I've run Linear DX stuff on batteries before, but they only last two or three days before they need to be changed/charged and I don't want to build that kind of hassle for the user.

Rory, are you from the PNW?

Whats the PNW?

Can you get high voltage to the beams? Then you could just use Wireless TX's in a weatherproof box with Altronix Power Supplies and 12Volt Rechargable Batteries. We've done quite a few of them down here in the past.

Pacific Northwest. No, no power available. That's the big problem. It's too bad, the user is really high on remote monitoring and has 4 other sites for us to do if we can get this right ($20K+ each!).

What perimeter distance are we talking?

Is this area fenced?

What type of terrain are we talking?

Have a few suggestions, but they depend on above questions.

Cheers.....Rapid

I have experience in using the optex photoelectric beams to secure a perimiter. They work great. Easy to align. But alot of work when you have to secure a building thats not close to anything so you have to dig trenches. But over all it works great. Only false alarm we have had was when one of our wires got pinched and showed a short. So one false alarm in 11 months is not bad.

ive installed tons, got them in my own yard here

Cant get away from False alarms even with their best models, but it depends on the enviroment of the application, such as birds, dogs, etc, which beams used and how many sets of beams tied together as one .. they're designed to trigger when something over a certain weight crosses it, the Plus versions and above are the better units, the AX70Ts are very basic and even small birds can set them off. They generally have protection against rain, etc. Never had one go off due to weather conditions, just when trees are too close and blow accross.

Regardless of false alarms, I like beams over anything else ... we've put them in luxury homes, all the major food stores here, beaches, docks, auto sales yards, wireless and hard wired, you name it ... did that for 5 or 6 years ... always run the beam wires in conduit, helps in the long run.

well the better ones have atleast dual beams that pulse. And you set how long the beam has to be broken. If you tinker with them enough you can minimize your alarms. With the dual beams they both have to be broken so the bird thing is non existant. Atleast it has been for us in all the applications we have done.

the AX70T has dual beams also, just different technology and smaller beams, hence the price is less. Anything over those are decent, but they still can false. We've used alot of the 200's, 250's, & 500's. Used the 70Ts mostly on cheaper jobs, or ones where they want to cover alot of windows or doors (install on the house's wall). Pulse count is always set to the fastest unless you encounter false alarms, and then it still only slows it down for the criminals to get through. Birds can false the dual beams easy enough, depending on their size. the 200's are the most popular, due to the price increase from the 200 to 250.

Basically with beams, must sacrifice the chance of an occasional false alarm for greater security - cause they are still one of the best ways to secure your premises. If you can afford it use multiple beams in parallel. Motion detectors on the other hand, they false outside like there's no tomorrow.

If they have the cash you can think about using Video Analytic SW such as, MATE (www.mate.co.il), Object Video (http://www.objectvideo.com), or Active Eye (http://www.activeye.com). Great stuff! Ingore's wind, rain, snow, etc. You'll use the existing exterior cameras (hopefully), set up your region of interest and let the system go. The sw will take care of the rest.

MATE and Object Video (I think?) have a text output that you could connect to the DVR to make searching easier. And, one camera can cover a pretty large area. If you don't have lighting, add some IR.