ron352

Internet Bog when remote viewing

I have a 8 port dvr with 8 cameras on network and it seems when a family member connects to the dvr remotely our internet speed almost goes to a crawl like dialup.

I have ATT Uverse 6mb service so it really shouldn't bog all the bandwidth down sould it?

Just curious.

The hookup is from my router a 50' eithernet cable to a 8 port switch then to the DVR a couple feet from the switch.

Doubt it is my setup as other family members have the same bandwidth issues and their dvr is only connected to the router.

Just wondering if it is a frame rate setting in the dvr or what.

Suggestions or is this just normal?

Ron

What is your upload bandwidth? Upload, not download.

Also, with some DVRs you can watch the main stream, or the substream, which is a lot lighter. How much you can stream will depend on your DVR/NVR, resolution, bitrate, how many cameras you watch at the same time, your upload bandwidth, and even more things.

As a dealer/installer/servicer of CCTV, I had to go with 50mb+ download and 12mb+ upload to get away from viewing issues. Anything less and you get continuous "jerks/jumps/pauses" etc. Even with that, there are times when I get a pause now and then.

What is your upload bandwidth? Upload, not download.

Also, with some DVRs you can watch the main stream, or the substream, which is a lot lighter. How much you can stream will depend on your DVR/NVR, resolution, bitrate, how many cameras you watch at the same time, your upload bandwidth, and even more things.

It is substream. Upload is a mere .61Mbps

240747_1.png

Watch 8 cameras and not sure what bitrate is.

As a dealer/installer/servicer of CCTV, I had to go with 50mb+ download and 12mb+ upload to get away from viewing issues. Anything less and you get continuous "jerks/jumps/pauses" etc. Even with that, there are times when I get a pause now and then.

Thanks Dennis. Viewing remotely isn't bad. It is just when I am surfing I can tell when a relative logs in to look at the cameras, I feel like I am on dialup.

By the way, do you suggest NVR over DVR?

I am thinking going megapixel cameras and NVR.

It is substream. Upload is a mere .61Mbps

240747_1.png

Watch 8 cameras and not sure what bitrate is.

0.61mbps upload is quite crappy. If you want to watch 8 cameras remotely at the same time, that would give you about 0.07mbps per camera, and you would be maxing out the upload bandwidth, so using the connection for anything else at the same time would make you feel like you are on dialup.

0.61mbps upload is quite crappy. If you want to watch 8 cameras remotely at the same time, that would give you about 0.07mbps per camera, and you would be maxing out the upload bandwidth, so using the connection for anything else at the same time would make you feel like you are on dialup.

Thanks Mindtwist that makes sense. I will have to contact ISP I agree should be more then .61

Appreciate the info

It really depends on how many cameras you want to see at the same time, what resolution and bitrate they use, etc...

We used to have just 1mbps upload bandwidth when we had just an analog system (16 cameras) It was more than enough. Now we also have IP cameras, and the main streams are like 1920x1080 4mbps. So I could not even watch the main stream on one channel remotely, which I needed in order to demo the cameras.

Now we have 10mbps upload bandwidth, which means we can easily see two cameras at 1920x1080 4mbps from remote, and everything will still run great in the office. You just need to know what resources you have available, and how to get the best use of those resources according to your requirements.

One of the systems that I monitor has 3 DVR's and 36 cameras running on Business Band Cable and with my 55MB download speed at home, I'm able to monitor all of the cameras at one time without any issue. Then again, another site that I monitor has one DVR with 16 camera's and it's rare that I can even monitor 6 of the camera's at one time. They are using a small company cable internet system and it's terrible. At times, I'm not even able to connect to the system at all.