Sign in to follow this  
CamB

AiPhone

Hi,

I'm looking for a video intercom system to replace my broken doorbell. I was looking at the Aiphone JK series, but am having difficulty finding an installer in the SF Bay Area. Most don't seem to want to work with Aiphone and dismiss it as being too expensive or too small of a project.

Are there other alternatives that I should look at?

Thanks!

Wow, I find it very shocking that people are turning down the work! Those are not to terrible to install if you wanted to give it a go yourself. Aiphone has pretty good support and excellent instructions, what are your concerns?

Unfortunately, I am not that experienced with electrical work. I don't want to be drilling holes through my house without a high degree of confidence with what I'm doing. I wish I was that handy...

Spoke to a few electrical/security contractors and they are quoting about $2000 for the unit, wiring, and installation.

Aiphone JK series requires a bit of BACK end programing ...not just run some wires..

I start out at $2,500 for a base and remote... Plus any additional custom work, covert cable snake, etc...

Rough break down...

$1200.00 - parts/ materials

$800.00 - Labor

$500.00 - Taxes, License, Insurance

PM me see, Im located in San Rafael area.

Aiphone JK series requires a bit of BACK end programing ...not just run some wires..

I start out at $2,500 for a base and remote... Plus any additional custom work, covert cable snake, etc...

Rough break down...

$1200.00 - parts/ materials

$800.00 - Labor

$500.00 - Taxes, License, Insurance

PM me see, Im located in San Rafael area.

Ok, this is really just for my own clarification but why so much for taxes and insurance on what is almost certainly a one day job? We don't have licensing requirements out here in MD but that figure just trips a red flag for me. Feel free to PM if you don't want to discuss these types of things publicly.

Wow for those prices I'd fly out to put that in. IF the weather is anything above 40F right now, I'm game.

Have you checked a phone /datacom installer?

If it is 2 wire you can replace your existing doorbell and use that pair for intercom. For video, if they cam run a CAT5 and terminate the ends for you. There are cheap solutions less than $300 unless you want a dedicated station then your looking around $600-800. Plug and play too, not much in configuration.

If you want cheap, your cable provider like Xfinity Home also does installation of it. IF they include the equipment as part of the service then usually if i goes out they replace for free too. Check into it. Also an alarm installation company may have this as well.

Wow for those prices I'd fly out to put that in. IF the weather is anything above 40F right now, I'm game.

Have you checked a phone /datacom installer?

If it is 2 wire you can replace your existing doorbell and use that pair for intercom. For video, if they cam run a CAT5 and terminate the ends for you. There are cheap solutions less than $300 unless you want a dedicated station then your looking around $600-800. Plug and play too, not much in configuration.

If you want cheap, your cable provider like Xfinity Home also does installation of it. IF they include the equipment as part of the service then usually if i goes out they replace for free too. Check into it. Also an alarm installation company may have this as well.

That is not terribly out of line actually. I figured about the same money for labor, but I had the parts a bit cheaper. I actually PM'd some of these details to the OP. I did not include cabling or power supplies in my pricing however and I recommended the JO kit since it is a nicer look in the residential setting. The taxes and licensing is the only thing I did not factor in simply because I don't quote individual jobs that way, it is just included in my overall price.

I PM'd op as well ... There are costs of doing business, I for one am learning the CALIFORNIA pinch...

IRS, board of equalization (ca reseller), insurance, business Lic, federal security clearance, shipping, Certifications, product minimums, etc ... these things add up... Op wanted to know why he got high number quotes..

I would like to say, that I love what I do, I take pride in my work and Do the work the right way the first time..... Unlike most in my service area....

There are a lot of details however that are missing from Op..

Construction type, how long of a run, op own the property (rent, lease)....Existing door-bell, is the infrastructure there to support upgrade unit...(likely hood of a warranty call?)

Nothing like the requests for a door-bell unit install " super simple...one story house kitchen i

s where I want the Base...front door in where i want the remote at"

upon further investigation:

solid cement walls, poured concrete pad, and the existing door bell doesnt work....they want the job done for under $250.00 >>>

Yeah I was not saying you were unreasonable at all, in fact we just quoted a job where it was a door station with two master stations and I think it was about $2850, but it was for a Federal Agency so no tax. If you add in the 6% Maryland sales tax, it would have been a bit over $3000. That did not include a door strike by the way.

all good

Just got asked to do a simple duplex 110VAC 15a outlet into a closet.... client wanted to know why we charge a 80 to 2000/ unit rate ... Welp YOU GOT KNOB and tube wires IE Im running new all the way back to service panel .... thats a 2000 + job if you got simple ROMEX and a junction box that's acceptable well that is 80/unit >>> LOL love this job