BrendonTW

Can I build a decent system for around $2000?

Hey folks,

I'm trying to design a quality and reliable HD system for around $2000, $2500 max.

The system will be installed outdoors with the max run being about 150 feet. I'd like to have the capacity to have 8 cameras eventually but would like to start with at least 4 HD cameras staying in my budget. The cameras will all be outdoors and will all have approximately the same scenery. Distance of 100 feet, partial night time visibility. I have one large security light, so I'm a bit concerned as to how this will affect the night-time visibility because since I only have one light I have shadows. Not sure whether I should get IR cameras or not. I have one spot that I will definitely need IR capabilities because there is no light on it. I'm fairly tech savvy but not surveillance savvy, so I am seeking input from you guys.

I've come to the conclusion that most kits are lower-grade and so I am going to need some help making sure I get all the necessary & compatible components. I've been looking at Everfocus equipment because a buddy in the security industry told me they were a decent brand.

Last thing is I need the DVR to be able to send me an e-mail on motion sensory.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Can you point me towards a/some goods kit to get me looking in the right direction. I want to be sure I get reliable hardware and don't really know brands. I also don't know what I need to look for in a power supply.

If you go with a kit you can easily make that 2k mark. I think if you try to piece a system together you'll average closer to 2500. The benefit would be that you'll get a better system overall. For example, chosing the best camera for each location, and you'll have wider range of software choices to use. Going component route will require more research and better understanding of the tech. If you don't wan to spend the time, then probably a kit is the way to go.

I'm not sure what powe supply you are looking for? A kit would come with what you need, otherwise you'll need a POE switch or POE injectors. There is an 8 port cisco switch for around 250 that looks nice. A similiar POE injector runs about $80, but then you need to add your own switch.

Thanks for that reply. I guess I don't need a power supply as I posted here in the IP forum and power is included. I was looking at analog systems earlier and had to buy a power unit.

So I'm thinking about going the kit route since I'm not super familiar with how it all works. I just truly don't know what brands are el-cheapo versus contractor-grade. The only brand I know is Everfocus and there aren't really any kits to fit my needs with them. Any suggestions? Even a online store than has some good options. If I search google I get a list of about 100 online stores which is just too much to wade through - especially since I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

This q-see kit would probably serve you well.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-1080p-IP-Cameras.product.100069855.html

It includes everything you need and does everything you want. It's all plug and play and really couldn't be easier for the person who just wants to get a system up and running without the toil of piecing components together, and all that goes into that. For some people, simple is best. If you're the opposite and like to learn a whole new technology to piece together, have at it. With this package, for that one 150' run you hit Lowes and get an inline coupler and 50' of cat5 to extend one of the 100' cat5 that comes with the kit. Done and done. This package is just dahua gear offered by q-see. I've never used everfocus but I have used q-see dvr's, dahua dvr, and dahua NVR. And, you'll come in under budget.

Looks pretty good. My only concern is that it seems to be a lot of product for only $1600. You certainly know more than me about all of this. It just seems that it's on the "cheap" side of things. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Reliability is just very important to me and I don't expect to get 8 1080p cameras with everything else I need. If that's a really good setup I will definitely check into it though.

I found this. Cantek hardware. Opinions?

https://www.123securityproducts.com/hd8dome.html

BrendonTW,

Please note that most of NVR or Hybrid DVR or Cameras are using almost the same chip. So the supporting features are almost the same. Some may require to have different accessories for different/additional features.

What's different but important: Technical Support and Warranty.

Looks pretty good. My only concern is that it seems to be a lot of product for only $1600. You certainly know more than me about all of this. It just seems that it's on the "cheap" side of things. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Reliability is just very important to me and I don't expect to get 8 1080p cameras with everything else I need. If that's a really good setup I will definitely check into it though.

Prices have come down..the qsee system is good. You can also search through the posts here on hikvision, dahua, acti, cameras...

the link you posted is a hybrid system which you don't want if you are building new....

just because a website charges more doesn't mean you are getting a better product.

Prices have come down..the qsee system is good, it is a rebranded dahua system. Its from Costco, if there is ever an issue, or you just dont like it, no questions asked returns...You can also search through the posts here on hikvision, dahua, acti, cameras...

you can build you own pc and use milestone, blue iris, exacq to record...tons of options...

the link you posted is a hybrid system which you don't want if you are building new....

just because a website charges more doesn't mean you are getting a better product.

Package deals are just that- a package of gear. They cater to the consumer that wants everything included with the peace of mind that it all works together. Typically there's sacrifices in package deals though. In the q-see package it's the cameras. They're all 2mp bullets. They're all fixed lenses at 3.6- a fairly wide shot. You get eight of them which is great, but if you wanted half of them domes or a 4mm, it becomes a compramise. Other than that, there's nothing more in the package that isn't in every similar swann/lorex package. They all come with the nvr, the cables, some cameras, etc. All inclusive doesn't always mean all junk. Frankly, the only thing I've ever used that has been solid as a rock is analog. IP/MP can be finiky. But anything you buy can be finiky, have it's quirks, or be shot right out of the box. It's all a gable for consumers these days. It's a gamble that UPS or FEDX alone won't bust up the contents of a package. Of course choosing wisely and pointed for every camera location with different cameras is a better way to custom fit your needs. But with IP gear you have to plan it fully for compatability. NVR or software? What POE switch? Which cameras are compatable with motion detection? On and on. A tailored system is great. For the 'off the rack' crowd, package deals can be just the ticket too. Good luck.

You make a strong point. Maybe I should be considering analog HD - but will I break the bank, or can I get started with a 4 camera system and stay within budget?

For a new install it's better to go with ip/mp right off the bat. Helping yourself in the future means running cat5 now. Plus analog hd is HD-SCI and that system doesn't save you any money and you're stuck with coax. There's less expensive HD-CVI out now which is less expensive- a real savings. But it's only 720p and you're still killing yourself for coax. You want to install at minimum 2mp when installing a new system. 2mp offers an excellent picture and is worthy of all the work installing. I mentioned compromise earlier. The other compromise with the qsee package is the nvr. Down the line if you want to upgrade the cameras to a higher resolution , you'll have to upgrade the nvr too, essentially a whole new system. Or move to a software system. The key though is you won't have to re-run cables. Your cat5 is already in place. Again, a package like qsee is for the person who wants to install once and stick with it, not being interested in noodling or upgrading for a long while. You can however swap out some bullets for other 2mp dahua domes and such if you choose along the way, or even add a ptz down the line if you wanted. You have options, but generally speaking if your gonna plug cameras into the nvr, it's dahua 1.3 or 2mp options.