Sign in to follow this  
Maddog Mike

Need advice

Hey guys,

I need help, I haven't done a CCTV install in over a decade and my aunt wants me to install a 8-10 camera system at her business. I'm not sure what the budget will be, she asked me for a quote. I'm looking for the most reliable system for what I assume will not be a large budget. Most of what I used to install was Bosch and Dedicated Micros equipment, but that is probably going to be out of budget. I'm not familiar with many other brands. What I'm looking for is domes or minidomes and IR bullet cameras and a DVR. Any advice or info you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

You're probably looking at an analog system if the budget is low, and an 8 channel at that. Anything over 8 channels and you're bumping up to 16 channels and will probably be more than she wants to spend. You're lucky if she goes for an 8 channel budget. A nice analog package with an excellent Dvr and decent cameras with a 1tb hard drive is this, at 1k-

http://www.securitycameraking.com/complete-8-channel-ultimate-mini-59099-prd1.html

Another thing to consider would be an HD analog system, giving 720p resolution, the right mix of cameras, and when you put a 2tb hard drive in you're at 1500. The quality will be notably better.

http://www.securitycameraking.com/complete-8-channel-hd-cvi-59576-prd1.html

That's just the gear. Not sure if you'll charge aunty for labor, but for gear alone she's gotta be comfy with 1-1.5k.

See where the budget is.

Hey guys,

I need help, I haven't done a CCTV install in over a decade and my aunt wants me to install a 8-10 camera system at her business. I'm not sure what the budget will be, she asked me for a quote. I'm looking for the most reliable system for what I assume will not be a large budget. Most of what I used to install was Bosch and Dedicated Micros equipment, but that is probably going to be out of budget. I'm not familiar with many other brands. What I'm looking for is domes or minidomes and IR bullet cameras and a DVR. Any advice or info you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

get an ip camera system from Costco

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-1080p-IP-Cameras.product.100069855.html

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Channel-Stratus-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-9-1080p-Cameras.product.100087415.html

don't install an outdated analog system...

these are the simplest solutions if you are not familiar with ip systems....

I can't disagree, but something tells me even 1k is too much. I could be wrong though. WE know what's best. Clients with small budgets in mind have a much different perspective of 'good enough'. It can't always be what WE want.

I can't disagree, but something tells me even 1k is too much. I could be wrong though. WE know what's best. Clients with small budgets in mind have a much different perspective of 'good enough'. It can't always be what WE want.

im not sure about that 1k budget as op mentioned the bosch cameras that were probably expensive back in the day....

also using ip cameras with better quality and ordering a wider lens, op could get away with 4-6 cameras where he though he needed 8. For example starting with a system like this http://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-8x4-720p-ip-secrty-dvr-bullt-cam/prod10700191.ip?navAction=

adding 2 cams you can build a system with 6 cams for under 1k....

the install would also be much easier to run cat 5 instead video and power...

Thanks guys. I'm probably going to go with one of the setups from Costco or Sam's if I can find one I can add cams to. I understand what a low end system costs, but to someone who's never purchased CCTV equipment, the cost would probably make her jaw drop. It's a small business and I want to do my best to avoid the word "thousand" when I give her a quote. I appreciate your input.

The system price have dropped, at least, one tenth of 6~7 years. To fit into your budget, 960H (which is newer than conventional D1) can be recommended. Either 960H video capture card or stand alone would be OK.

Out of curiousity, what do you guys think of Q-See setups. They seem to offer quite a bit for the money.

which ones. They don't make their own stuff... so it depends on the system. What does she need to monitor? how many rooms. Like I said you may be better off with 4 hd cams vs 8 analog. What is the purpose of the system? monitor employees or to be able to id an intruder?

A quick search brought up this package. The main thing, besides the good deal, is it's 16 channel which has the room for growth you want, D1 30 fps, and 8 decent cameras.

http://m.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-Full-D1-Security-System-with-1TB-HDD-and-8-650TVL-Cameras.product.100075462.html

Q-See to me can be fine. Their RMA service can be slow if a camera is shot, so I would recommend grabbing sales on other cameras that come along just to put in line for any down time that may come up. Their dvr's are usually fine. For all that analog isn't, what it does afford is inexpensive and varied camera choices. The camera world is your oyster. You can get perfectly capable cameras cheap. In your situation, this system would probably fit the bill well. Good luck.

@shockwave199 - That's the one i was looking at.

@boogieman - It's primary function will be watching employees, there has been some theft of property and hours. There are less than 20 employees, so identifying them shouldn't be a big issue. She wants 8 inside and 2 outside. I can get the needed coverage inside with 7, but still need 2 outside. Do you have any thoughts on the one shockwave posted?

Thanks, you guys have been very helpful. I want to get your opinion one more time. I called QSee support about this already, but I think I trust you guys more. They provide 100ft cables, but some of my runs are approx 160ft from the DVR. The power I can run locally. Will that extra 60ft have a big impact on the signal?

This is the system I'm considering after looking them all over and reading reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-QT5680-8E4-1-Security-Surveillance-High-Resolution/dp/B00DWFFC94/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1393426530&sr=8-3&keywords=qsee+16+channel+8+camera

By powering locally you mean powering at the camera? In that case it would be fine. But don't extend the cheap cable they give you with a second 60' cable. That could degrade the picture. You want continous runs, not extensions. The cheap cables come in 150' lengths so maybe that would be enough. The best thing you can do for a new install is make your own cables with good coax. And you can power a camera at that length, back at the other end of the cable. But you'd get some voltage drop, especially if the camera has IR. So you'd probably be better off using a 12v 2a or maybe a 12v 3a, assuming the cameras aren't dual voltage which I'm sure the qsee cameras aren't. But at those longer runs, if you're powering the camera at the camera, it's not a concern.