Maniek

Does anyone sill install Arecont's ?

Hi

What happened with all Arecont's installators?

I have just came back from Arecont 1 day presentation, and it's looking good for me.

If you don't install them? tell why?

If you still install them? tell why?

discusion

Regards

dealer costs are high as compared to more options coming out everyday. ie. I can buy a 20365dn just a couple hundred bucks under internet prices. Off-Brand cams are just as good now and I can mark them up more since they spec out and perfom great.

It's because they are based in L.A. so you have to speak Spanish or press 2 for English. Yes, they are bad, but certainly no worse than Mobotix or Dahua.

I am using Arecont AV5155DN. Bought them new for USD 360 on ebay. Compared to my Dahuas HFW 3300C they have some advantages. The picture of the Arecont is much nicer in a way of more natural colors similar to a good oil-painting compared to the "plastic-like" colors of the Dahuas. The noise level of the Areconts is much lower than the one of the Dahuas. They are also more capable of reading a license plates during nighttime.

However the mechanical structure inside this dome IMO is not very well made and requires a very soft touch. The software is also not without flaws:

Framerate at night 2 ! Day night switching not always working remains stuck in B/W during the day sometimes. If the observed terrain is covered by snow the in color mode the picture periodically goes from dark to bright and back .

A dome without internal IR illuminators is much much better with fog and rain . I am using external illuminators with the Areconts mounted a few feet away.

If one can live with these drawbacks and can get them at a reasonable price say compared to Dahua or HiK +30% I would recommend Arecont.

241834_1.jpg Here's a few reasons I don't use them anymore.. they make decent doorstops, though. I think what Wireguys was referring to is Arecont's practice of charging to just look at a defective camera, whether they fix it or not, as well as their continuous attitude that any integration problems are never the camera, always the VMS. (That's been my experience, at least).

I have about 80 exterior arecont 5mpdn cameras currently up and running for about three years now. Had some issues with the new casing style overheating it. The casing style was changed toward the end of this project. Last 5 I installed where the ones with the problems. I replaced with IQ eye to prove to company it was their cameras. Did not buy any more for about three years due to that reason. I have installed 180's to cover parking lots about two months ago and have had no issues yet. If they hold up will look at their 10mp camera for key hallway coverage.

I also have had many quality issues with Arecont. Every once in a while I install one just to remind myself how junky they are. Last week I put up a 12mp 180 degree cam in a parking lot. The picture isnt bad, but the physical quality leaves much to be desired. One issue I encountered was the side conduit entry is unuseable because the pcb is so close to the threads. I also find the web interface to be very slow and lacking in useablity. Lastly the motion grid squares are far to large to be useful. Anyway, after this one I should be good for about another year before the next arecont.

I also have had many quality issues with Arecont. Every once in a while I install one just to remind myself how junky they are. Last week I put up a 12mp 180 degree cam in a parking lot. The picture isnt bad, but the physical quality leaves much to be desired. One issue I encountered was the side conduit entry is unuseable because the pcb is so close to the threads. I also find the web interface to be very slow and lacking in useablity. Lastly the motion grid squares are far to large to be useful. Anyway, after this one I should be good for about another year before the next arecont.

Remember you have to disconnect the camera from your VMS to make changes in the web GUI. That might be why it was slow when you where making changes.

Considering the price and the image quality like the youtube video "Arecont Vision - AV10005DN Sergej Piculin " what are the alternatives? Stardot? Avigilon? Axis? Which brand/model can match their resolution combined with natural looking colors perhaps with a more robust construction and more powerful CPU?

From what I've seen, Stardot, although also based in So Cal does not really have an image quality I like. I can point you to a public website with a Stardot cam if you want to see for yourself. From what I've seen of Avigilon, it depends, like many camera manufacturers that cater to a broad spectrum, some are great, some are so-so. What I don't like about them is they do not sell through distributors. If they get mad at you, they can pull your reseller agreement and that can mess you up with customers. I like the flexibility of having multiple sources for a product.

Axis makes some very nice cameras, not all are, but for the most part pretty good. For ultra-low light, I use their Q1604, for every day domes, the P33's are very good from their Lightfinder 1MP to their 5MP. Also good support.

ACTi for what seems to be half the price of Axis offers good support and has some good products like their E32 bullet, their E72 dome.

Hikvision is the up and comer in the U.S. although the largest in the world, they recently entered the U.S. market. They answer their support phone and have helped me out on occasion. Priced lower than ACTi, they represent a good value. My favorite is their ds-2cd2732f-is & ds-2cd2532f-i domes. If support is important, make sure you get ones that are Hikvision USA as many on the internet are not unless they specifically say so.

Hi

What I noticed is Arecont's needs very good lens to have good quality picture.

You cannot use " noname" stuff.

I used to play with THEIA lenses, and noticed very good picture, but... price is...

If yu want cheaper lens and Arecont - there is a lot of choice with other brands.

Do you agree?

Show your best Arecont quality you think you have, to compare. ( screenshot)

regards

Here is a demo pic from BlueIris and my AV5155DN , compressed with Irfanview to 55% quality, which clearly shows the wonderful colors and the "softness" of the built-in lens.

demoarecont5155DN.thumb.jpg.290b7ff738b17981fb8dc4f702508dc5.jpg

Here is a demo pic from BlueIris and my AV5155DN , compressed with Irfanview to 55% quality, which clearly shows the wonderful colors and the "softness" of the built-in lens.

Why would you want to post image with 55 % quality ?

I use Irfanview too

default 90 %

Uploaded a few quick shots i've seen with comparison to an older Avigilon 5MP / 10MP vs. Arecont 10MP..

maybe could be useful for you. I've never worked with arecont's cameras so, can't comment on the reliability

of them though. also, no clue on the lens used on the cameras.

Avigilon 5MP vs. Arecont 10MP zoomed out

AV10005vsJPG2K-5MP-out

Avigilon 5MP vs. Arecont 10MP zoomed in

AV10005vsJPG2K-5MP-in

Avigilon 11MP vs. Arecont 10MP zoomed out

AV10005vsAVO-11MP-out

Avigilon 11MP vs. Arecont 10MP zoomed in

AV10005vsAVO-11MP-in

hope it helps some.

As a home user I bought a AV3130 dual sensor day/night camera about 2007. We had used them at work for government projects and they seemed to be a high quality camera. The optional 4mm lenses I also purchased turned out to be virtually useless, a waste of $140.

My example was only in service a couple of years as a weather webcam (monochrome side covered) and then the daytime colour sensor inexplicably failed, despite the incoming light level being well stopped-down and the camera well-protected environmentally. Now I use the monochrome side only in a nighttime security application with the free AV100 software which is barely adequate and doesn't seem to have any way to save clips. It does work though and it did solve a recent break-in.

The Arecont seemed physically very well made but not well evolved, at least at the time. This one, like most, have no output for an iris control so you have to compromise with one setting for all conditions, not realistic, and I was never very happy with the colours. I also found that JPEGs extracted were not precisely formed to the required JPEG specification and could not be extracted by PHP scripts.

I replaced it with an Axis 2MP day/night which has met all my performance expectations, despite being shipped with the incorrect dome.

Uploaded a few quick shots i've seen with comparison to an older Avigilon 5MP / 10MP vs. Arecont 10MP..

maybe could be useful for you. I've never worked with arecont's cameras so, can't comment on the reliability

of them though. also, no clue on the lens used on the cameras.

Avigilon 5MP vs. Arecont 10MP zoomed out

AV10005vsJPG2K-5MP-out

Avigilon 5MP vs. Arecont 10MP zoomed in

AV10005vsJPG2K-5MP-in

Avigilon 11MP vs. Arecont 10MP zoomed out

AV10005vsAVO-11MP-out

Avigilon 11MP vs. Arecont 10MP zoomed in

AV10005vsAVO-11MP-in

hope it helps some.

Those screen shots are in low rez. Anything above 5MP you have to drill in before you see the his res stream.