camtastic

does dahua email have a preference for gmail?

I like others, am stumped on how to get yahoo email smtp server working with a dahua bullet cam. I've tried everything from yahoo IP address to anonymous. I keep getting fail on the email message. All of my settings work fine on an insteon, so I can't see it being an issue with yahoo... but rather, dahua. I see a lot of posters suggest gmail. Does it have better success with dahua software?

Network: 216.136.173.12 (which is smtp.mail.yahoo.com)

Port: 465

Username: (My yahoo name without the @yahoo.com)

Password: My yahoo pwd.

Sender: None (Default as I don't know what else to try)

Authentication: TLS

Mail Receiver: someone@yahoo.com

email test connection failed.

Anyone have any success with yahoo?

try a few different things. Like scope said port 587; use full email not username; use same address for sending&receiving.

Thanks for all those suggestions. All have been attempted already. I'm trying to open a gmail account or one without having to divulge my phone number: seems my only hope.

Any other suggestions outside of trying different ports and email address formats and domain IP addresses (unless the one I have is wrong) are greatly appreciated. I really want this feature to work.

Edited by Guest

Software Version

2.210.0000.2.R, build : 2013-08-21

WEB Version

Not even sure how to update as there is no link anywhere.

Between that and the chop I'm getting (nothing but 20' cat5, POE, and LAN card on desktop)... I'm getting pretty frustrated. On top of that, I ordered an BW NVR 240fps@1080 via HDVideoDepot (amazon) and got a lower quality Savvytech 120fps@1080 shipped to me with no itemization or paperwork to even show it was wrong. I had to figure it out by matching pictures.

I don't know if buying the whole low documentation/support overseas products was such a great idea at this point.

*edit: support was pretty nice about returning it and I was able to speak to them by phone.

Edited by Guest

That's usually not a good idea, true. For any dvr brand I've used thus far, I've only been successful using my isp email address and settings. I have optimum cable here and so I use my optimum email address and port number. No other email address has ever worked in any dvr I've had, but once I plug in my optimum address and settings, it works every time. I would suggest you do the same.

That's usually not a good idea, true. For any dvr brand I've used thus far, I've only been successful using my isp email address and settings. I have optimum cable here and so I use my optimum email address and port number. No other email address has ever worked in any dvr I've had, but once I plug in my optimum address and settings, it works every time. I would suggest you do the same.

It seems like a good idea and I have to go dig up that info, but if I successfully use my yahoo settings for a separate camera in the same home, successfully, I'm not sure what the problem could be.. other than something having to do with the cam software . Thanks for commenting.

Yeah who knows. Dvr's seem finicky with it. ISP address always does the trick it seems. Once you know your address, just Google the info for the port they use. Good luck.

I always use a gmail address with Dahua and Hikvision. It is only used for sending emails from DVRs, NVRs, IP cameras, etc, and I have no problem using it at all. Free and it will take you just a few minutes to set up, why not just make one?

MindTwist: I just wanted to avoid giving phone numbers out for email these days (all the majors absolutely require it now as they phone you the code to unlock your email). If it doesn't solve the problem, I wasted giving away my personal info.

So, I talked it through with my internet ISP provider; he was pretty knowledgeable. We tried almost everything imaginable:

1) different ISP addresses (numerical and text)

2) different ports

3) assigned all ports in router .

4) even turned off all firewalls on windows

5) different ways to enter email user id, reciever, sender

6) anonymous

7) different port/security combos (SSL, none, etc)

...you can imagine the number of possible combinations of above.

NONE worked. But my other Insteon works fine with minimal hassle. The main problem with dahua, is there is no way to pinpoint the cause; all I get is failure message.

The only thing I haven't tried is gmail yet. I'll try later tonight.

Any other ideas welcome. I'm trying the FTP motion detect feature as well, as I have FTP available on my ISP.

One other item is that I am directly connected to my LAN card on the desktop now-- not a router (I've been removing all external paths to troubleshoot chop). So maybe there is something wrong with my approach on that (no router in camera path but router is still between my desktop and ISP).

edit: hooked router back up to cam. Opened ports on win firewall. Still email failed.

edit: another observation. There is a network entry on dahua IPCamera software. It has HTTP Port=80 and HTPS port = 443 If I try and change to smtp ports, it complains and says cannot save ports as port is occupied and ports numbered 0 to 1024 not recommended to use.

I Solved it.

I read a few other loose threads mention DNS settings.

In case anyone else is stuck here, there is a separate tab called

TCP/IP that asks (among other things) for

prefered DNS server

and

Alternate DNS server

I just used the ones my router found (automatic from ISP).

Thanks again for various suggestions.

Thanks. I ended up just using my ISP (Astound). I know your an advocate of using ISP (from your posts), so it is a good solution here too. But I have a feeling any of them would have worked as my other camera worked on yahoo smtp, but I don't recall setting the DNS.

The next issue I am now tackling is that even though it sends a text alert, there are no photos attached (even though I have all the motion flags and snaphot etc checked).

I saw some earlier discussions about this issue, but if anyone has advice on how to set the directory path from my ISP, I appreciate it. I get ftp failure. And not sure what directory to use. When I go to ISP there is a top called MailBox and sub-directories...

but when I try MailBox it still fails.