Sign in to follow this  
Boogieman

Hikvision Domes in Low light

I don't have one in that exact situation but I know with just a little light they are excellent so I'm sure they would work well.

I don't have one in that exact situation but I know with just a little light they are excellent so I'm sure they would work well.

thanks for the input...was thinking of getting a mix of DS-2CD3332-I 3MP, DS-2CD2532F-I, and DS-2CD2132-I and DS-2CD2732F-I

im afraid of ir refection indoors so I might use the DS-2CD3332-I 3MP inside as they don't need to be vandal proof...

If you are looking for a low light dome camera from Hikvision, the DS-2CD2712F-I is their best.

Like all camera manufactures, the 1.3MP/720P sensor provides the best low light image.

If you are looking for a low light dome camera from Hikvision, the DS-2CD2712F-I is their best.

Like all camera manufactures, the 1.3MP/720P sensor provides the best low light image.

Thanks myiicu. Have you tested this with hikvision? Does the 1.3mp version of the same camera produce better low light images? (I can say that my 1.3mp dahuas have better night/ir than 3mp hikvision, but im wondering if its true with the exact same camera).

Also, is this improvement only with IR on and black and white or would I seen an improvement with the 1.3mp over 3mp if I forced day mode as well.

I didn't know that...Do you know why ???

When comparing image sensors that are the same size (eg 1/3")

A 3MP chip will have smaller pixels than a 1MP chip.

Also, a 5MP chip will have much smaller pixels than a 1MP chip.

A larger pixel has more surface area to gather light.

Some manufactures have tried "pixel binning" on their larger image sensors to help.

But the improvement is marginal.

It would be great to see a side by side which is easy to do since hikvision makes 1.3 and 3mp version of the same camera....Now all we need is someone who has both to test....hint Buell

I had a Hikvision dome in my dark garage and there was too much IR reflection so I upgraded it to the Exir. I much prefer the Exir over the dome.

Have not looked at the Hikvision 1.3MP because not one single person asked for it, everyone wants 3MP.

If you want the best low light cameras out there, they are 720P but are box cameras and you add a good Fujinon lens, you get awesome low light sensitivity. These are what you can use - Axis Q1604 or the Bosch NVR-733V. If you want a dome, it's not going to be as good because you are using smaller cheaper made lenses, but it would be the Axis P3364 or P3384, or Bosch NIN-733.

But here's my experience, yes, you can potentially get a cleaner image with 1MP over 2MP, BUT, I still think you get better optical resolution in low light(not to be confused with more pixels) with a good 1080P or 3MP camera than with 720P or 1.3MP lower light camera. For example, if you can get the face to be the same size in pixels with 720P vs. 1080P (1.3MP vs 3MP), then yes, the 720P will in broad generalities will be better. BUT, if the head is smaller because for the same field of view, you have half the pixels, then the compromise to lower resolution is not worth it. Hope that makes sense. For example, I use an Axis Q1604 where I don't even care about 720p, heck, I run it at VGA resolution because even that is more than I need, but it's for a very specific use case, but all the other cameras at the same location are 1080P/3MP.

I think indoors in a bar, the Hik 2732 will have so much light from the IR that you won't have a problem, actually may work against you as people's faces close to the camera may get blown out. Or get the ACTi E58, indoor 2MP dome camera, good light performance, better than the Hikvision, known commercial brand, free NVR software that is very good if you chose to use it. When you compare price of the Hik USA product to ACTi, the prices are comparable.