hulio82

Help with a Survelliance System installation quote

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm planning on getting a home security system installed and got a quote from a contractor. just looking at the quote, is it possible to tell if its reasonable? not asking for the labor part- just more on the equipment listed- is it worth the price? Not looking for a very high end system, but not looking for something really cheap either.

any help is appreciated. thanks!

security.thumb.JPG.217cf70180467a4e05fa492284f143de.JPG

I don't charge for wire, but if I did, I wouldn't charge 450 bucks! His price for the cameras, dvr, and power supply

are all pretty reasonable though. And for analog cameras, those honeywells should work pretty good.

I don't charge for wire, but if I did, I wouldn't charge 450 bucks! His price for the cameras, dvr, and power supply

are all pretty reasonable though. And for analog cameras, those honeywells should work pretty good.

Thanks! He said based on this quote, he isn't charging labor, but i guess that how's he's getting his cut out of it.

So, couple of questions

1. Is this setup top of the line? i saw various Swann kits with same camera configs and double DVR capacity for around $500-$700 @ costco's and Frys. He said those systems won't last as long and the cameras don't last as long.

2. Any recommendations on a good system. I'm looking to spend around $1000 primarily for exterior monitoring.

my opinion would be to get the 8 Channel Swann 1080p IP Camera kit, which comes with

4 2 Megapixel outdoor bullet with IR cameras. then you can just add 2 more of them for your 6 cameras.

Believe tigerdirect sells it and i'm sure others.. i see it on ebay for about $1100

Going this route though means you'll need to run the wires and install it.

I'd recommend paying someone to do the installation though.

Hi. Cost is too high in your quote

And the main problem is installer is using lead kits

Which are never good and have a short life time so look at spending more in 12 months

Over 2k and can't put BNC on cable ... Is a walk away from quote

Thanks all for the responses.

Cliff369- Yes, i plan to use him to do the installation. he said i can purchase system of my choice if i prefer and he will install it. i'll check out the swanns

Tomcctv- pardon my ignorance- what is a lead kit? is BNC cable a special cable? like a Siamese cable? he said he's using the same cable they use for cable tv and he said that is better than the cable that comes prepackaged with Swann, etc.

I would also recommend a IP camera system, I just switched from a analog system to the IP and it has a lot better picture quality.

Thanks all for the responses.

Cliff369- Yes, i plan to use him to do the installation. he said i can purchase system of my choice if i prefer and he will install it. i'll check out the swanns

Tomcctv- pardon my ignorance- what is a lead kit? is BNC cable a special cable? like a Siamese cable? he said he's using the same cable they use for cable tv and he said that is better than the cable that comes prepackaged with Swann, etc.

By lead kit I believe he means the BNC cable are pre-made cables and the connectors are already on. These kinds of cables are thinner and weaker and have less shielding inside than a box of Siamese cables (which requires the installer to put on their own connectors, usually compression BNC). But using pre-made cable means you will have to drill a larger hole to fit the BNC head through, while using an unfinished cable you can drill a smaller hole to run the cable through. Generally the box of cables are of higher quality and have different grades.

the honeywell cameras are about $110 on line marked up to $149

the recorder is about $450 online marked up to $699

the wire runs at $75 each are his labor.

if he can't make any money why would he do the job? lets suppose he does have work comp and liabitly insurance. a truck and tools. who pays for that.

do it your self or pay someone.

his price seems very reasonable to me but then again i'm in the business to make money not as a hobby.

i have nothing against DIY but if you can't do it pay a pro. i can do plumbing and electrical work in my house but i usually pay a pro to have it done right.

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm planning on getting a home security system installed and got a quote from a contractor. just looking at the quote, is it possible to tell if its reasonable? not asking for the labor part- just more on the equipment listed- is it worth the price? Not looking for a very high end system, but not looking for something really cheap either.

any help is appreciated. thanks!

I doubt that he is installing for free , it's not a 30 minute job. He seems to be making his money on the cables and the DVR - both overpriced. You will likely find that ALL the components could be purchased for what he is charging for the DVR. The last time I had cause to work with one of these pre-made cables I found that not only didn't it have no woven shielding , it had NO shielding AT ALL. Just a pair of very thin insulated wires in an outer sheath.

if he can't make any money why would he do the job? lets suppose he does have work comp and liabitly insurance. a truck and tools. who pays for that.

his price seems very reasonable to me but then again i'm in the business to make money not as a hobby.

i have nothing against DIY but if you can't do it pay a pro. i can do plumbing and electrical work in my house but i usually pay a pro to have it done right.

Thanks for the input. Also, i'm pretty certain he's not doing it for free. When we talked initially, he said he would give me a good deal, but when he gave me the quote he said he wasn't charging me labor voluntarily (i never forced him). i have no issues paying him..or anyone to come install it since i'd like it professionally done. He could have just charged me labor instead of trying to bundle it in. My primary concern was the equipment he listed and if it was worth it for the cost because he gets it from his reseller for the "best" price.

Thank you all for your input. greatly appreciate it. I'm going look around for some more analog kits, but as suggested, will look at some of the IP cameras as well.

Of course he's not doing it for free, he'd be insane if he were. If you look at the total package, 6 camera system installed for $2k, it is not a bad price. I doubt you'd find many other installers who would match the price but maybe you should seek other quotes to ease your mind. If it were me, I'd want high def, but if you go that route be prepared to pay more.

Thanks for the input. Also, i'm pretty certain he's not doing it for free. When we talked initially, he said he would give me a good deal, but when he gave me the quote he said he wasn't charging me labor voluntarily (i never forced him). i have no issues paying him..or anyone to come install it since i'd like it professionally done. He could have just charged me labor instead of trying to bundle it in. My primary concern was the equipment he listed and if it was worth it for the cost because he gets it from his reseller for the "best" price.

What he probably meant was that labour hadn't been included in the quote