zkt

Harbour Freight 4 chanel system -Comcast email setup.

I know. everything HF sells is junk. But I couldnt resist.

Ive read the two posts re. setting up email.

Motion detection is enabled and functional on screen.

Communication is established on my local network with a PC.

Here are my settings:

Email: on

ssl: on or off doesnt matter - tried both settings

smpt port: comcast says 578, my outlook properties set at 25-doesnt matter

smpt: smpt.comcast.net

send email: Me@comcast.net

send PW: ******** : me@comcast.net accnt PW

Recv Email: Me@comcast.net

Also changed smpt port in outlook to 578 - doesnt matter

It seems that the security system isnt getting beyond my local network but it shows up on the router DHCP list and everything else there is connecting to the internet.

I`m at a bit of a loss at this point.

Gotta be something simple at I`m overlooking

TY

I ran into this:

http://www.ehelp.com/questions/10444678/bunker-hill-dvr-alarm-email-does-not-work

Havent read it in depth yet but seems someone has figured it out.

I hate to rant BUT, this has been a pain in the ass from the beginning.

First the dvrocx.cab installation cd was blank! Not a bit on it.

Found the file in about an hour and installd it on the PC.

No big deal really.

Next, the activex control that the dvr needed to install on the pc in order to allow remote viewing was unsigned. Windows goes to a lot of trouble to not install unsigned software. Worked a day on that and finally found a beautiful youtube tutorial on installing the very sw.

Aside from all that seems to work fine.

Cant wait to get it to talk to my smart phone. That outta be a lot of fun.

I know. everything HF sells is junk. But I couldnt resist.

Ive read the two posts re. setting up email.

Motion detection is enabled and functional on screen.

Communication is established on my local network with a PC.

Here are my settings:

smpt: smpt.comcast.net

Gotta be something simple at I`m overlooking

TY

Simple like a typo? It should be S M T P

Your incoming (POP3) port should be 995 (with SSL) and your SMTP should be 587 or 465 (with SSL)

Yes it was a little case of transient lesdexia, and in the dvr fields too. But after correcting that and checking the comcast email directly, still no emails.

My thought is that the dvr isnt getting out of my local network. That shouldnt be hard to check out.

TY

Great thanks to Techie85.

Here was my fix.

I could not have done it without the help of the other users above.

First I went to "http://www.nightowlsp.com/Products/Discontinued-Items_2/LION-4500#" as it is the EXACT same model as the Bunker Hill 68332. I then found the firmware download button at the bottom and downloaded the firmware that they offer for that product. Direct Link is "http://www.nightowlsp.com/core/media/media.nl?id=14612&c=640242&h=f6b9587b55318d734c13".

Once it was downloaded the version number of the firmware they use is different than Bunker Hill so this presented a challenge. After following the instructions in the .txt for uploading that firmware my DVR said that there was no new updates available. So I assumed it had to be an issue with how the firmware was named (it looked for a higher number in the name to allow an upgrade). I looked at my DVR's firmware model and it was a V4.5-V120215. So I renamed the first numbers between the first two V's to 120216 (one number higher than 120215. Then attempted to upgrade. It seemed like it was going to accept it by saying it was upgrading. After it rebooted I looked at the firmware version and it hadnt updated. Then I got the idea that it was looking at multiple numbers in the upload and was requiring them ALL to be higher numbers. So I changed ALL numbers between all the V's to 120216. SO the file name then appeared as "AL9004_V120216V120216V120216V120216". then attempted to upload from that and it WORKED!. When the device rebooted the firmware version was now V4.5-V101030 (the 101030 was the original last set of numbers between the last two V's). SO now my device has the latest WORKING firmware version that NightOwl had developed for this device before it was discontinued.

All of my configuration settings were still there.

Here are the settings I used.

Email: ON

SSL: ON

SMTP PORT: 465

SMTP: smtp.gmail.com

Send Email: DVR@###########.com (my email is hosted by Google Apps)

Send PW: ##########

RECV Email: DVR@###########.com

This will also work by using a regular yourname@gmail.com account as a send email

Since im using gmail I HAD to set my devices DNS settings to 008.008.008.008

I have FULL recording on so that it would only send me a .jpg when ever it detected motion on my camera 1.

I Applied the settings and for the 5000th time I ran out side and waved my arms in view of the camera.

About 25 seconds later my email account received and email from my DVR with a .jpg attached of me standing there.

When I saw it come in I was so incredibly happy. I have spent COUNTLESS HOURS.. atleast 15+ (over the course of a month) trying to get this to work.

Just to test it out again I ran out there again and withing a few seconds another one came in!!! so happy if you cant tell.

SO now I went on to the next thing I wanted. My email to send me TEXT alerts when ever it received an email from my DVR. SO first I sent a text message (Iphone with AT&T) to my DVR@#########.com so I could find my phones "text message email address". Once I had that I went to settings in my gmail account and then to forwarding. I added that address to the forward list and it sent me a confirmation number. Once I confirmed that on my gmail account I enabled forwarding to that number and hit save.

I ran back out in view of the camera and with in about 45 secs my email account had forwarded the message from my DVR to my cell in text message form with the picture attached.

AND BAM. Thats how you fix the Bunker Hill Item 68332 Email Alerts like a BOSS.

Your welcome.

Techie85

The mans a freakin genius.