NickDawg41

Hardwired IP Cameras disconnecting

Hello all,

I'm seriously at wits end . I have installed 9 IP cameras, all hard wired, and they seem to randomly disconnect/disappear from live view of the NVR. The only way to get them back up is to do a power cycle. They are on a 12v 20a power distribution box.

The NVR is a viostor, and the cameras I am unsure of the brand. I have switched out a few and I still have the same problem. I have already changed the switch. The only thing I have left to try is to replace all the cat5 cable I ran, which I really don't want to do. any help is appreciated.

Do you have a keep alive or listening setting? If he camera has constant motion in front of it, does it still disconnect? Does it require licensing? Some NVRs timeout if no valid license is found. The QNAP Surveillance station comes with 1 by default.

What model are your running Viostor on?

Check out Page 86

http://eu1.qnap.com/Surveillance/Manual/VioStor_NVR_User_Manual_V4.1.1_ENG_20130911.pdf

The cameras all have a license and it not always the same cameras. Sometimes it's one camera, sometimes it's 5 cameras.

The Viostor model is VS-6016

This job makes or breaks my business with this company. I have never had this much trouble before.

Thank you for your help.

What type of cable did you run...did you make sure its solid not copper clad aluminum (CCA). Can you access the cameras directly outside the nas when they go offline? Where did you get the cameras? Can you show us an image of the interface so maybe we can figure it out? Honestly, going with a noname cam on a paid job is just bad business. Replace the cameras...

They are Dahua IPC-HDBW3300 IP dome cameras. My distributor recommended the cameras, so I used them. I used solid cat5e 24 AWG cable. When the cam is not showing up on the NVR, I try to use the cameras assigned IP and still get nothing. They also have some Arecont 2255AM poe IP cams that were installed by another company that are doing the same thing.

I'll post some images when I go back to the site.

Thanks again for the input.

They are Dahua IPC-HDBW3300 IP dome cameras. My distributor recommended the cameras, so I used them. I used solid cat5e 24 AWG cable. When the cam is not showing up on the NVR, I try to use the cameras assigned IP and still get nothing. They also have some Arecont 2255AM poe IP cams that were installed by another company that are doing the same thing.

I'll post some images when I go back to the site.

Thanks again for the input.

First Dahua is not a no name camera and those cameras are very good. Where did you get the cable, because the specs provided do not mean that its solid copper just that its solid vs stranded.

ok..if the Arecont are doing the same its most likely a network issue...what switch are you using? what router?

are the arecont connected to the same power supply? or are they running separate poe?

The router is an asus RT-AC66U, and there are 3 switches. 2 linksys and 1 netgear. I got the cable from ADI. The dahua are on the power box and the arecont are on the poe.

are your cables farther than 300 Ft? Are your cameras set to too high of a bandwidth usage/framerate for the machine? Is DHCP on for each camera or does each have an static IP address?

I would set a video loss alarm for all the cameras then let the NVR send email alerts to you when it experience video loss...that way you can pinpoint specifically which camera and at what time it goes out of service.

The farthest camera is about 80 feet. They are all set static, and they are all set to A moderate bitrate. Unfortunately, the clients do not have these hooked up to the web, and do not want them to be for some reason. So the video loss notification is out. There isn't even an Internet connection in that part of their building.

I did look back at footage and saw that the ones that did go out all went out at the same time. It's really odd.I have never had this issue before, and I'm stressing out big time.

For the record, I have replaced the switch twice, the router twice and each camera once. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and replacing the cable with cat6.

I just want to thank everyone that has given input. I really do appreciate it.

The farthest camera is about 80 feet. They are all set static, and they are all set to A moderate bitrate. Unfortunately, the clients do not have these hooked up to the web, and do not want them to be for some reason. So the video loss notification is out. There isn't even an Internet connection in that part of their building.

I did look back at footage and saw that the ones that did go out all went out at the same time. It's really odd.I have never had this issue before, and I'm stressing out big time.

For the record, I have replaced the switch twice, the router twice and each camera once. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and replacing the cable with cat6.

I just want to thank everyone that has given input. I really do appreciate it.

are the Arecont's using the same cable? if not it is most likely not a cable issue...

when you replaced the router was it for the same model? how about the switches?

is there any other device attached to the network other than cameras and switches?

are you overloading the switches are they gigabit? how many cameras per switch?

How is the power in the building, maybe connecting to a ups or voltage regulator would help

Yes, the cable is the same, I replaced the switches with the same brand, but higher end models, both of which are gigabit. There is a pc that is used to view the cameras on the network and 2 other nvrs. About 20 cameras all together on the same subnet. The original router was a linksys wrt54g.

There is a UPS to which the nvrs are plugged into.

Were the Arecont's exhibiting this problem before your install?

First try disconnecting your system and see if the Arecont's fail, then it is might be the cable...check to see if the other nvr's might be causing problems....

isolate your system only, and see if the problem exists...

Yes, the cable is the same, I replaced the switches with the same brand, but higher end models, both of which are gigabit. There is a pc that is used to view the cameras on the network and 2 other nvrs. About 20 cameras all together on the same subnet. The original router was a linksys wrt54g.

There is a UPS to which the nvrs are plugged into.

Or try to attack problem from different angle

Install Avigilon demo

connect all your camera and see if it will act the same

That what I have done long time ago with Exacq and Sanyo cameras

Had Sanyo disconnect all the time

after Avigilon installations everything was good

also u can install host monitoring software which will monitor cameras separately

good luck

We really need all makes and models of all parts to see if there is a known issue.

1. Can you try half the cameras connected first? Is there any difference or is the same ting happening.

2. If so, are they on the same switch or doesn't matter? Can you try as many cameras you can on one switch, leaving the other disconnected.

3. What is the firmware version of your Viostar?

4. Are your switches managed or un-managed.

If you use a managed switch the Viostar has load balancing using 802.3ad. Based on the symptoms I am leaning toward firmware or the switches. If anything has packet flood detection on, it is possible that it is mistaking the video traffic as flooding and temporarily shutting down the ports.

Next time the cameras go down, look athe switch it is plugged in to. Is it flashing, solid or off? Same for the Viostor.

Can you provide a network discovery map?

I the firmware is up to date, I would do a factory reset and start from scratch in case you made too many changes.

Where are you located?

Try a different power box. Can you hook a camera up locally to the dvr to see if loses connection.

Maybe a different nvr?

Just want to update this issue. It turns out that it was a power issue. On a whim, I installed a 24v ac power box and haven't had a problem since.

I just want to thank all you guys that contributed.