videocheez

Please Help or Give Advice for 64 IP Camera System

I'm still reviewing the capability of the HD-SDI. It doesn't seem like the best long term option but may be appropriate as a low cost upgrade. I was checking on the supplier website and they only offer one 4mm camera that it compatible with the HD-SCI. I'm wondering if there are other cameras including PTZ cameras that will work with the HD-SCI DVR. At the current facility, the 4mm cameras would work as a nice replacement for most of the units but there is one PTZ at the pool and few varifocal cameras at the garage entrances being used as licenese plate camera.

Thanks it looks like there are many options out there. I just need to find out if they are compatible with the Dahua HD-SDI DDVR. Is there going to be a problem with HD-SDI if the existing COAX is RG59?

Thanks in advance, VC

Is there going to be a problem with HD-SDI if the existing COAX is RG59? Please let me know.

Thx, DS

That is the million dollar question. You never know what quaity coax was installed or if there is any issue with it. It's one of those things you have to try to see if it will work.

IMO:

If you have questions on being able to deliver a working solution than opt out of the project...

A. upgrade cameras + Infrastructure

If you dont upgrade it all you WILL have warranty issues, despite what the previous contractor did or didnt do!

Also just because they have 64 camera units doesn't mean you cannot get away with less units... IE:

Better quality image, better locations, new technology!

PM me I got a few questions for you.

Is there going to be a problem with HD-SDI if the existing COAX is RG59? Please let me know.

Thx, DS

That is the million dollar question. You never know what quaity coax was installed or if there is any issue with it. It's one of those things you have to try to see if it will work.

Yikes. I would have to ask the million dollar question. At least I asked you guys first. If I get the job and buy all of this equipment, I'll be in big trouble if the coax is no good. Do you have any suggestions as to how I could perhaps test the cabling before hand to see if I will have a good chance for success. I suppose that I can write into my quote that the I will purchase one system and test partially before hand before making the big purchase and buying all of the equipment. Are there any coax brands that are known to be of good quality? It likes they have mainly run that Siamese cable. I know that its been installed for approximately 8-9 years.

IMO:

If you have questions on being able to deliver a working solution than opt out of the project...

A. upgrade cameras + Infrastructure

If you dont upgrade it all you WILL have warranty issues, despite what the previous contractor did or didnt do!

Also just because they have 64 camera units doesn't mean you cannot get away with less units... IE:

Better quality image, better locations, new technology!

Thanks. This is good solid advice that I will need to seriously consider. I don't want to lose all of my profits going back dealing with issues that I didn't install. I was planning to have an alternate quote for an entire upgrade but got the idea here to propose the HD-SDI solution utilizing the existing COAX as the primary quote.

May I ask how experienced you are to handle such a job? No disrespect meant. But I have to wonder how long a client will wait for a quote while you learn about your options from a forum. You asked this here a month ago. If you're looking for really solid advice, given the questions you're posing here, you should consider passing up the job. Not knowing what to look for in coax is not a good sign you're ready for a 64 camera install. It wouldn't be fair to the client or yourself. So my final advice is, don't take on something you're not ready for. Unless the client is family and is willing to roll with you fumbling through on the cheap to gain experience, save yourself a world of hurt - pass.

May I ask how experienced you are to handle such a job? No disrespect meant. But I have to wonder how long a client will wait for a quote while you learn about your options from a forum. You asked this here a month ago. If you're looking for really solid advice, given the questions you're posing here, you should consider passing up the job. Not knowing what to look for in coax is not a good sign you're ready for a 64 camera install. It wouldn't be fair to the client or yourself. So my final advice is, don't take on something you're not ready for. Unless the client is family and is willing to roll with you fumbling through on the cheap to gain experience, save yourself a world of hurt - pass.

I appreciate the honest feedback. No disrespect taken. Nothing like being thrown into the fire to gain experience. This job would definitely be a challenge but I think I can handle it. I have not misinformed my client about my experience level. They understand that I'm a "newb" and if they don't want the risk of working with me, then I won't be doing the installation. They are not actually sure if they want to go through with it. The main thing that they want immediately is to fix or replace a couple of their cameras that are not working and to set up their existing DVR so that it has multiple user accounts. As an alternate-1 request, they said that they would like to have and all HD camera system. As an alternate-2 request, they said that they would like to have the entire system upgraded and modernized. I'm doing some other consulting work for them providing a security/crime prevention risk assessment of their site and even if I don't do the camera job, the proposed work that I've been asking about will go into the risk assessment report so that they are knowledgeable about reviewing the quotes from the actual installer.

This is for a homeowner's association for a condo complex. They are not family, but I think they are willing to roll with me fumbling through to gain experience on the cheap and they appreciate getting a report about their options. The camera upgrade is only one small part of several security upgrades that they are planning to do.

Edited by Guest

The only way to truly test the coax is to order a DVR/camera and test them onsite. If you don't have the funds or not willing to do this PLEASE PASS ON THIS JOB.

There is currently no job for me to pass on at this point. I'm gathering information that may or may not turn into a project. With regard to testing the coax, It would be worth it to try your suggestion and purchase a DVR and a camera for a pre-test. This is a great idea since the quality of the coax is "show stopper". This would at least allow me some breathing space and I won't be "crossing my fingers" hoping everything goes okay. I'ts gonna cost close to $1,500 for equipment to do this test but I could have the customer pay for it as spare parts if they go for the project or just use it for one of the 4 DVR's that I will need. If the test shows that the coax is no good, I could perhaps return it to the vendor for a restocking fee. That would be a small price to pay for some peace of mind. I'll need to think of nice way to write this into my proposal. Thanks in advance, VC

Edited by Guest

Well you'll get an idea of the condition of the coax when you fix a couple channels. I do agree though, start completely new with all your own gear. That way your not chasing down problems you didn't even create. SDI could be a good option but it would be better if YOU did the analog install so you could be confident about the coax that's in place. Good luck.