varascope

WD Announces Purple Surveillance Line

MSRP is comparable to the RED version. The AV drives flopped for surveillance due to the Green firmware they were using. I think this is the side by side answer to the SV35 by Seagate. The 3 Year warranty is a plus as they reduced wrranty periods on much of their line over a year ago. As soon as it arrives I am going to test Black vs Red vs Purple and see how speed, reliability on playback and heat factor out.

As soon as it arrives I am going to test Black vs Red vs Purple and see how speed, reliability on playback and heat factor out.

Let us know how that goes, not going to throw a Green in for good measure?

Any eta on the release for this drive? I've replaced 3 greens in less than a year of installed. I sent them to WD and

they sent me new ones, but since my customers were given 1 year warranties on parts and labor, I didn't charge

one penny for driving out and replacing their drives. I'd love to avoid doing that with a more reliable drive.

Anyone interested please PM me your email address and I can send a bulk email when I have the answer. Distribution will be limited to start and not expected in retail stores.

Wow WD enterprise system don't use purple ????????

They did a complain like this when the brought out the green drives.

Desktop drives vs. surveillance-class storage

You wouldn’t use a bicycle to transport cargo across the country because it’s not the right tool for the job. You also shouldn’t use a desktop hard drive in your surveillance security system because it wasn’t designed for that application.

WD Purple surveillance-class storage has been tested to be compatible in a wide-range of security systems. These drives are designed to replace standard desktop drives that were not designed for the harsh 24/7 always-on, high-definition surveillance environment. Desktop drives are built to run for only short intervals and are not engineered to withstand high-temperature fluctuations and equipment vibrations found in a typical surveillance application.

So we all must of got it wrong using standard drives for over 20 years

Wow "(Western Digital) Desktop drives are built to run for only short intervals and are not engineered to withstand high-temperature fluctuations and equipment vibrations"

That doesn't say much positive about the quality of WD desktop drives. I wouldn't want to use one of those in my desktop! And I'm not sure if I'm kidding or not.

I thought surveillance was an easy job for a hard disk:

Always on, so minimal temperature fluctuations (where do they think the heat comes from?)

Always on, so no start/stop stresses (motor start, and head unpark)

Minimal vibrations for surveillance (desktop gets bumped when inserting disks, plugging stuff in, DVR just sits there left alone).

Minimal vibrations for surveillance (desktop gets bumped when inserting disks, plugging stuff in, DVR just sits there left alone).

This is only true is you have a single disc system. It has been proven then in multi-disc systems that not only are there vibrations, but harmonics generated by multiple spinning discs that can shorten the lifespan of the entire cluster. That was of the biggest reasons for enterprise class drives. You are correct though that in a single disc system a "regular" drive could last several years without incident, but the cost differences are not large enough to justify the risk in my opinion.

I want to see these purple drives with a DETAILED spec sheet up against the current enterprise class and consumer class drives. Is the aural density reduced? How are they dealing with dampening? Is there some special cache used in these?

Personally, I will be a happy dude once solid state stuff gets big and cheap enough to use in surveillance equipment but we are a long way from that right now.

MSRP for the 3.5-inch 1 TB drive, model #: (WD10PURX) is $89.99; the 2 TB drive, model #: (WD20PURX) is $119.99; the 3 TB drive, model #: (WD30PURX) is $159.99 and the 4 TB drive, model #: (WD40PURX) is $199.99 USD.

I now have wholesale prices and delivery on March 10th

with a serious order. There is a deal I should know about by Monday, tuesday for getting a free 2TB Purple drive but I don't have all the details yet. Looks like pre-orders are being taken too as the demand is high right not.