scratch

I need a zoom lens for a camera

Actually... It doesn't need to be a zoom, just a higher powered lens.

Backstory:

I'm building a long range camera setup to use as a "spotting scope" for precision rife shooting. I already have the long range video TX/RX and it's working great. I'll be setting up the camera on a tripod near the target. Right now I'm using an older CCTV camera i have laying around. It works great and is clear enough for what I need it for, but it's too close to the target and I'm concerned about it getting shot.

The way it is now, I need to have the target about 12" away from the target to fill the whole screen, I'd like to be able to move it back about 36-48" from the target and a little off to the side.

To do that, I'm going to need a zoom lens.

I'm familiar with rifle scopes, binoculars etc... Where they talk about 4x, 6x, 12x etc... But not lenses where they talk about 4mm, 8mm, 12mm etc. I'm assuming the higher the mm, the higher the zoom correct?

This is one type of camera I have and a few different lenses that I have to choose from. Is it possible to buy just the teeny little lens that's about an inch long by 1/2" wide to screw into the housing that screws onto the camera? But in a higher power?

I also have that one with the auto iris that is a telephoto lens (i assume since it says "T--------W"

It screws onto my camera housing, but I assume the auto iris is closed since I can't see through the lens. Is it possible to apply 12VDC to it to open the lens so I can see if the higher power magnification will work?

Any ideas?

image.jpg.0b9ab448701ec420600b32f2e50ad184.jpg