cglaeser

Surveillance system at neighborhood entrance

A board member from an HOA in our city recently contacted me about the surveillance system that I designed for our HOA. Our system can record license plates and video of every vehicle that enters and exits our neighborhood and can be accessed remotely over the internet. The design of our system was relatively easy given that our clubhouse is located at the HOA entrance and I had ready access to both power and internet. The other HOA does have power at the entrance for large brick wall signs, but they do not have internet access at the entrance. Although this is preliminary, I expect a budget in the range of $20,000 would not be a problem.

So, they have power and the funds to install a good outdoor enclosure with server, etc, but what is the best solution for internet access? I expect both cable and phone are underground on one or both corners of the street. Do you think either the phone company or cable company would be willing to add a 'business line' at that location if the HOA was willing to pay for the install? Any other ideas for gaining remote access to the server?

Best,

Christopher

Maybe you should consider Point-to-point wireless to a near location where there is internet. Look at solutions like Fluidmesh, ubiquity or mikrotik.

The HOA does not have a clubhouse or common facility. Ideally, they would prefer not to rely on one of the homes because ownership may change in the future. Also, there is no direct line of site to any of the homes from the entrance because the homes are in the foothills. Does anyone have experience with asking the phone company or cable company to add a drop? I'm guessing these services may pass within a few feet of the entrance signs, though it could be in the middle of the street rather than one side of the street.

Talk to a smaller ISP in the area and see what they can do for you. They can be pretty clever.

Hey, good idea! Thanks.

If a smaller ISP can't assist how about using a 4G cell router connected to a switch locally to the cameras.

Then just pay a monthly fee for the data usage.. I'm not suggesting to be connected remotely 24/7 or pass the video

to a headend NVR over the 4G... But, having everything at like an entry guard shack or something where you can house

the NVR, cameras, switch and 4G router - connecting in remotely through the web should be easy.

Check out this 4g router by Cradlepoint

http://cradlepoint.com/products/small-business-home-office-routers/mbr95-wireless-4g-3g-router

Or companies like D-Link make one as well.

hope it helps.

Eric

There is an ALPR (All in One License Plate Reader) that does not need a central server. It is controlled and data can be accessed via Internet. The LPR's cams. used to be about 25k, but these are for high speed use on patrol cars. This new unit is perfect for HOA, 30 mph. 100% read/capture of lic.Plate with reporting available (data captured: date, time, License ID-actual leters&nums) as well as pic.

This ALPR could be put together within your 20k Budget...

we are http://edgevs.com/

Regards,

Carlos

There is an ALPR (All in One License Plate Reader) that does not need a central server. It is controlled and data can be accessed via Internet.

The issue is not the server (we have power and can install and an outdoor enclosure with server). We don't have internet access.

Best,

Christopher

Do you think either the phone company or cable company would be willing to add a 'business line' at that location if the HOA was willing to pay for the install?

The phone co should do, it's absolutely normal for CCTV, traffic controls, and other telemetry applications. However it will usually be subject to the full costs of the work, and not a standardised or subsidised price for a new residential connection.

The British term is non served premises.

Non-served premises are Sites which do not have specific postal addresses and/or are not for normal business or dwelling purposes. They tend to be sited in a street or footway or at a roadside and are normally unmanned, eg another Payphone Operators (Electronic Public Communications Provider 'EPCP') payphone sites, roadside locations, traffic control system sites etc).

Maybe you should consider Point-to-point wireless to a near location where there is internet. Look at solutions like Fluidmesh, ubiquity or mikrotik.

I second this and Fluidmesh is excellent stuff! You could also look at Ruckus, Aruba networks and possibly something like Meraki (Cisco) or Belair.