spork947

How useful is cctv for residential use?

I've read many articles on how cctv is almost useless at preventing a crime and maybe 1 out of 1,000 times was it even useful to solve it. I'm sure these were referring to old analog setups. However even with newer hd cams you still need a fairly close up shot for a good identification and thats hoping they don't have on a face mask or something else blocking the face.

I currently have a 4 camera system and I'm past the point of checking footage everyday for fun. Its mostly lighting changes or bugs anyway. So I figure that I'm running this fairly expensive setup that I don't regularly monitor and may or may not help if something did happen. If some stranger wandered through my yard I probably would not know it anyway if I didn't review footage on a regular basis.

How important do you think cctv is for a quiet residential neighborhood with no vehicles parked outside? Having 1 or 2 cams inside that I turn on when I leave makes more sense for me. I can check in on pets and possibly pick up a ID if a intruder ignores my blaring alarm. I consider a full home alarm to be priority over any camera although we might see some cool stuff when cams can start working as a all in one unit to be glass break detectors and door sensors as well.

I had the same issue as you until I upgraded to VideoIQ and tied in a monitoring station. Now I essentially have an intrusion zone around my residence. It's a bit pricey, but before my camera system was pretty much useless, now it's anything but.

I think a lot of people here would say it's more than just security, it's an interest to the point of being a fun hobby with benefits. If you want out, yank it all down. Sell it and get some money back. Put something small in place if it suits you. One thing's for sure, if you have nothing installed you have zero chance. And call me superstitious, but the minute you take something down, something happens and you wish you had it in place.

The videoiq Looks cool. If there is a alert does a responder tap into your footage to help make the decision to call the cops? I have a self monitoring plan for my alarm system through next alarm with their internet adapter so it will notify me if someone breaks in my house.

It has been fun setting everything up. I started with a dropcam and then purchased 2 acti and 2 hikvision cams and ran xprotect go on a extra pc. In a effort to simplify I started looking for alternatives besides running the pc like doing ftp with snapshots etc. With much over thinking I did consider getting rid of my cams. However as you've said it is just fun. I would hope that my cams never have to record a break in. It is a nice feeling being able to pick up my phone and have nearly a complete view of my yard. Even so footage often doesn't sound useful but it can satisfy some curiosities.

I thought about just keeping 2 overview cams for the front and back yard. I can still recognize who is at the door however it probably would not be good for a close up id of a stranger. I would like to just keep the acti cams so I could eventually purchase a nvr from them or use their software however I'm back to where I started using xprotect go. At the moment I'm stuck trying to decide if I should get rid of the dropcam and integrate a cube camera with the rest of my setup. It works so well for me but I can't stand fee's.

I think a lot of people here would say it's more than just security, it's an interest to the point of being a fun hobby with benefits. If you want out, yank it all down. Sell it and get some money back. Put something small in place if it suits you. One thing's for sure, if you have nothing installed you have zero chance. And call me superstitious, but the minute you take something down, something happens and you wish you had it in place.

id agree with shockwave on the bold line. ive got cctv and quite a comprehensive system including speed domes, with intelligent ir, plus static domes, alarms that event log, and also spin the domes round, plus a registration number plate camera as well. this is all set to alarms inside and out, im of the opinion they are deterrant and if nothing happens then the cameras have done their job, worth my money that i put into the system,

I've also gotten a little fancy with my ptz for my front door. Every little bit helps. And when the ptz swings around on you at the front door you know it and it is a deterrent!

Qe8PGnCSdp4

XKPEKyX6Qe4

Re: VideoIQ, yes if you tie it in to a monitoring station you can provide the monitoring station instructions on what to do (call you, dispatch PD, etc)...or you can self monitor and do the same.

I started with CCTV at our lake house in lieu of an alarm system. It's a pair of cube cameras with PIR motion detectors, 2 way audio, capable of alerting me pretty quickly if someone enters our place and I can call the local Sheriff's office. To me, a cheaper better alternative to a monitored alarm and not so much for forensic evidence.

At home I have the same setup with one camera, but I have 8 other cameras that are there mostly for forensic evidence and personal use to see who's at the front door, who pulled up to my driveway and such. I deal with Sheriffs on collecting evidence on a regular basis, so I have a good idea what they want and what most people setup on their own is worthless. You need a close-up of someone's face and a camera that captures the overall event and that only helps if they catch the guy or you can ID the guy. If you can provide a license plate, that's ideal, but not so easy to get.

As for guys in masks coming to rob you, I think that's more in the movies that every day life.

buell,

How are the cameras with PIR, pretty reliable? I see Hikvision has one such unit. Always nice to have lower cost alternatives.

I'm using an Axis M1031 and an AVTech AVN812 at our lake house, but the white LED, while very bright is very annoying.

I just started using the Hikvision ds-2cd2432f-iw at my house and it's working pretty well and having IR LED makes it practical for a house you actually live in. I have it recording with Milestone XProtect by using the PIR to trigger recording. Turning lights on in the house or shadows do not trigger motion detection, it has to be actual people motion detection. It's new for me and I haven't gone away since, but the goal is to have it send me a text alert if there's motion detected while we are gone. Then I can go in with Milestone phone app and see what's going on. Image quality, night vision and of course resolution make my older cameras seem obsolete.

I just started using the Hikvision ds-2cd2432f-iw at my house and it's working pretty well and having IR LED makes it practical for a house you actually live in.

This was one of the cameras that I was considering as a dropcam replacement. I wanted a acti cam in case I ever did decide to use their software however none of them had any kind of lighting or wifi. I also was disappointed to learn their software is IE access only. This is a short video of the dropcam hd in pitch black(not the newer pro which is vastly better at night). I like the wide angle lens and being able to cover the whole room. The audio may sound weird because there is a aquarium close by. Would the hikvision be at least as good?

You can install a alarm system yourself with no monthly fee's. Wireless sensors are reliable enough and the batteries last years literally. You can buy a professional system from somewhere like home security store. The manuals are written for someone already trained at installing them although not hard if you watch help videos on youtube and read forums. You can buy modules for some systems like the vista that connect to the net and send you notifications with 0 fee's. I'm on nextalarm and pay $5 per month but I think the self monitoring fee is up to 12 now.

Its cool that a cam can give you some free notifications. However I want to know the moment someone tries to breach my house when I'm not watching a cam. Most will leave at the sound of a alarm but at the very least you will know before someone is standing over you in your sleep. Which is also why I have glass break sensors everywhere so I don't have to rely on the pir to detect them later.

Edit: I have been broken into. It changes the way you think about stuff. Instead of a gun I bought a alarm. I like extra security without being paranoid and minimal possessions.

Cameras and alarms are very little deterrent. You have only to look at the nightly news to see that. You want real deterrent, get a good territorial type dog. That bark is usually enough to make most opportunistic burglars move on to easier pickins.

The Hikvision would provide a brighter IR light and would be better than the video from the Dropcam and be 3MP, vs 1MP on the Dropcam The image from the Dropcam at night has a lot of noise reduction going on making the image look less sharp.

Look at the level of detail at night, completely dark room. You have to click on the image to see it full size and then click on the 4 arrows in the lower right.

243234_1.jpg

Great shot, but if your wife is anything like mine, she wants you to hide those damn wires by the nightstand! Women and electrical cords do... not... mix.

Cameras and alarms are very little deterrent. You have only to look at the nightly news to see that. You want real deterrent, get a good territorial type dog. That bark is usually enough to make most opportunistic burglars move on to easier pickins.

I like a nice HUNGRY Giant Schnauzer, they are very territorial and posessive of their owner's personal posessions

You wanna mess with this guy? Go ahead....

243309_1.jpg

I have a ds-2cd2432f-iw on the way. Can't wait to try it out.

I like the extra security for protecting my pets as well while away from home. If my dogs are in another room with someone and the door is closed they have no idea when someone comes home until the alarm keypads start beeping.

I started with Analogue but found the quality very poor when i actually needed the recording for an incident so changed to HD-SDi and the image is now unbelievable in comparison.

I removed the old Analogue system which had been installed by a company six months previous and used this forum for guidance to create my own bespoke system, which i had done more research initially.

It's hard to say exactly how effective the cameras are since I don't get to interview people after they wander off. But I do have a small collection of people wandering into our carport, looking up at the camera when the motion light comes on and then walking quickly away.

Great shot, but if your wife is anything like mine, she wants you to hide those damn wires by the nightstand! Women and electrical cords do... not... mix.

lol, mine is the same way.

I sold 2 of my outdoor cams. I kept 2 acti's so I could use their nvr software. I think they are going to come down as well. They are useful at times but I don't know if I would consider them necessary for my needs. It also feels like everything in the ipcam world wants to work against you.

I did like the acti software but no browser support in linux or full firefox support in windows. Even if you used their dedicated box you still have to use windows. Also they finally released a cube camera that has IR but no wifi. Then my other complaint is with outside access in general. The security on these cams is from the dark ages. I don't feel like connecting to a vpn when I want to check in on the dogs and for sure my Wife wouldn't use it. Anything less and your opening your home to the internet and its down right scary most users are not concerned about this.

Maybe once they perfect the built in recording, improve security, and offer the cam at a reasonable price with a pir sensor I might be interested. xprotect comes the closest in what I was looking for in the software area.

I like a nice HUNGRY Giant Schnauzer, they are very territorial and posessive of their owner's personal posessions

You wanna mess with this guy? Go ahead....

243309_1.jpg

Razor is a wee cutie

Cameras are not about preventing crime. Trying to use them as such is a waste of the product. Cameras are more about prosecution and legal protection. If you pull a gun on some guy who is causing trouble on your property its your word against his. Unless it all got caught on camera. Then you have a witness that can prove the other guy was causing trouble. Same thing with pets. If your dog bites some kid the parents can claim the child was not in your yard. Catch the event on camera where the kid is clearly in your yard and adios lawsuit. If bad guys do bad things on your property and you get a face, build or other useful information the police have an easier job of solving the case.

Our cameras on the exterior of the business have been very helpful for our neighbors and the police. They are in every other month getting footage of some sort because of a bar fight next door or similar things.

Want to prevent crime, sell the dog and get a gun. A pound of burger and the mutt is my best friend. You cant bribe a gun. Have a dog? Get a camera to avoid the inevitable lawsuits. The old boss's dog bit a guy on the nuts here at the shop. That's why he's the old boss. Needed to sell to pay off what insurance didn't cover. Of course cameras wouldn't have helped, the dog was guilty as all get out.