Sign in to follow this  
smiticans

Hikvision NVR vs. Dahua NVR

Currently I have a Dahua NVR 5208 with various 3MP cameras and 1.3 MP cameras and I am somewhat satisfied with it. The NVR is decent besides the fact that the motion detection is terrible. I can walk though the entire field of view of the camera and it won't record (this is with the MD as sensitive as it goes). If I were to do it again, I would probably use a PC with xprotect go on it.

My friend is trying to put together an IP camera system, I was looking into the hikvision NVR and IP cameras for him. I would set up a PC for him, but that isn't gong to be practical.

My question is, how reliable is the hikvision motion detection on their NVR's? I don't have a problem if it has a lot of false recordings, but I can't have it miss a real event.

The NVR in question is the HK-7616NI-SE.

Also, I couldn't seem to find this on the spec sheet, is the alarm output on the NVR normally closed or normally open?

Thanks!

I'm having a few issues as well here and there. People disappear out of no where, or people pop up out of no where. I have played around with pre record, record delay, record latch, anti dither, and sensitivity. I just can't seem to find a happy medium. I am leaning towards that the anti dither is letting me take it down to 0 on some of the systems and 5 is the lowest I can go. That means, there has to be 5 continuous seconds of motion so the NVR keeps recording. I have my local distributor contacting Dahua to see if there is anyway to disable that feature. I mean why have that option if we have a sensitivity setting? There are way too many options to prevent false motion triggers, but not enough to make the motion recording spot on.

Exactly, I've already contacted the company I bought it from. They gave me the latest firmware but that didn't fix anything. If you notice on the cameras, you can set the anti-dither below 5, but you can't on the NVR. I'm currently waiting for them to get back to me.

Last year I had that problem with one dahua dome camera, hooked up to a dahua nvr- no motion detection was working. It was the camera firmware that needed updating, and all was well. So you might want to confirm that end too.

I recently did a job and upon playback, I saw the guy walking to his car and than it disappeared. I have the latest firmware on the camera and the latest on the NVR. I have sensitivity set to max, pre record at 10 and record latch to 20.

It's crazy to have to do this, but I'm testing things out using this NVR as an example. The guy is a friend of mine and he has 3 cameras with a 3tb drive so I'm not too worried about eating up hdd space. I just want the motion detection to work 100 percent properly. I do have the cameras anti dither set at 0 and even though the NVR shows me that lowest is 5, if I check the NVR, it shows 0. I'm also testing out recording at 30fps and 6144kbps. I'll see how that works out by tomorrow hopefully. Meanwhile, my local distributor received a response from Dahua today regarding my past issues. They told him that there must be network issues at the site! LOL!

Hold on-

various 3MP cameras and 1.3 MP cameras

If they're not dahua cameras, that may be normal incompatibility.

All of the cameras are Dahua 4300 or 4100 series cameras.

As for the firmware updates, ill have to ask again. I asked the store I bought them from a few months ago and they said the cameras (4300 series) were new and didn't have any updates yet.

@luckyfella- Definitely not a network issue lol!

Yeah now that I remember, the 2mp mini domes had really unrealiable motion detection too. I don't think you'll overcome it with just settings. It wasn't picking up things close enough for it to pick up. The best detection I get out of that nvr is a camera in a reception room- indoors in a confined fov space. That has excellent detection and right on every time, as I scheduled that one to motion after business hours. It's been thoroughly tested with the cleaning guy there every night- god love him! LOL! But the domes looking out at the large parking lot all have unreliable detection. At first what I did to try and save some HD room was schedule full time recording, handing off between two cameras for day/night. That way one channel or another was recording full time, but not all at the same time. That worked out great but then the client wanted full time recording for all three cameras out there, and so I did that. For his needs he didn't want to run the risk of missing a thing.

I totally agree with Shock. All of my indoor controlled setting close up shots work perfect. The times I notice most

of the problems are from outdoor cameras that have a large FOV. That is a great idea for scheduling motion and

constant, but won't work for an outdoor camera with 24 hour activity. I do have a few customers that I have large HDD space and constant recording 24/7 and we can go back a couple of months, but thats a PITA for playing back video.

It's things like this that make me want to try a different brand, but I dahua so well and have so many of their

products out there, I would hate to switch at this point. Plus, I keep thinking they will find a fix for this motion det issue.

Not sure dahua will ever come around on this one. It's been a long time now. Hikvision seems to absolutely be the other way to go for a number of reasons, but try as I may here, I've never gotten a single person to do a deep demo vid of the CMS software interface. I really like PSS. I wouldn't want to go backwards with a weak CMS package- especially if I had to administer tons of clients in it. Dahua seems way further ahead on all counts, but there are quirks to contend with- mostly in the cameras.

I do have a few customers that I have large HDD space and constant recording 24/7 and we can go back a couple of months, but thats a PITA for playing back video.

You can try making the recording block smaller than 60 minutes- like maybe 30 or 15 minutes. I keep it at 60 because I get fine playback with main stream 2mp. Assuming that's what you mean. Or with such large HD room, record sub stream too. With exterior cameras, it's kinda just better to go with full time recording and plan for it it with HD space. Two weeks or so archiving is usually plenty in most cases.

I am aware of the scale down on the timeline. PSS does not have that option though I believe, no? But, I'm talking about sitting through 24 hours of video, rather than motion events. How would recording to the sub stream help with

constant recording though? All I see recording to sub stream is so the mobile app would be able to play back recorded video alittle smoother. I've been setting the mobile app to play main stream when vewing back and it's not that bad.

And, my customers are looking for the minimum of one month recording, so depending on how many cameras, I've installed two 4tb hdd's in some circumstances.

I am aware of the scale down on the timeline. PSS does not have that option though I believe, no? But, I'm talking about sitting through 24 hours of video, rather than motion events. How would recording to the sub stream help with

constant recording though? All I see recording to sub stream is so the mobile app would be able to play back recorded video alittle smoother. I've been setting the mobile app to play main stream when vewing back and it's not that bad.

And, my customers are looking for the minimum of one month recording, so depending on how many cameras, I've installed two 4tb hdd's in some circumstances.

This is a problem that I think Smart Search will solve quite nicely, i haven't seen this function from other vendors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Zgq73LEiE&list=PLavMykS0nm2_sb61rLnO4Hk-M4kHwnvVM

Basically it is like motion detection search WITHIN motion detection search or even better, through 24/7 recordings. You just highlight the area where the event happened (like the front door opening), and the NVR shows you the time line of events where only motion happened at the area.

Oh I understand. Yeah smart search is great at the Dvr, but that's not often convenient. I don't think pss or Web service has smart search. I'm interested to know too so I'll look. What I did in my case for the guy was scheduled motion with full time as well, so even though motion isn't totally reliable in certain instances, at least motion markers are logged within the 24hr bar as a starting point. I do this especially for the after hours schedule when no one is there that could normally say an event happened around such and such a time. So for sure schedule motion and full time together. It can help zero in big time.

I wish Smart search was on the web interface too (which 90% of people uses), I'll let you know if they ever update the firmware to have that function online.

For now a reliable motion detection camera is the way to go...or set the pre-record and post-record time to be a little bit longer so you make sure you don't miss short events.

We have installed both. No nvr has motion detection. It uses the motion detection of the camera. Dahua nvr can automatically program the motion detection settings of a dahua camera. Dahua nvr can use the motion detection from a hikvision camera. It just needs programmed manually in each camera's web confi page. It works perfect. Use ONVIF protocol to import the Hikvision cameras.

We prefer using Dahua NVR's compared to Hikvision. We prefer Hikvision cameras to Dahua. The Dahua mobile app and smart PSS client software are far superior to Hikvision. That's what the customers sees every day. Overall Dahua NVRs are simpler to set up, and simpler to use. And cheaper.