Sign in to follow this  
milkisbad

gdmss lite uses massive amount of data on phone

Edit: Sorry for misleading, I found out all the data usage was on March 6th when I used my data to try out some remote playback, on the other days they were ok, was clear once I saw the data usage of each single day instead of a range.

Not sure if its me or what, I do have the live preview set to 'Extra' and Playback set to 'extra' and don't even use it that much...and i only have 1 x 1.3 megapixel camera! I think even when you exit out of the app, it is still using data...

If there are others out there why their data is being used up so quickly, this might be it.

Screenshot_2014-03-12-22-47-01.thumb.png.949b2136a16f3849976181558c04fc1f.png

Edited by Guest

I'm not sure about the data, but if you plan on playing back video and you set it to extra, are you recording to the

extra stream? If your not, you will not be able to playback video on the phone.

Not sure if its me or what, I do have the live preview set to 'Extra' and Playback set to 'extra' and don't even use it that much...and i only have 1 x 1.3 megapixel camera! I think even when you exit out of the app, it is still using data...

If there are others out there why their data is being used up so quickly, this might be it.

Well, you are watching video... You expect it not to use data? Just check out what is the bitrate on your extra stream, and you can know from there the bandwidth it will use when watching it. If you want to use less data, lower the bitrate, resolution, etc. on the extra stream.

I'm not sure about the data, but if you plan on playing back video and you set it to extra, are you recording to the

extra stream? If your not, you will not be able to playback video on the phone.

I think that is not a problem. I only record the main stream, when I watch from gDMSS I can choose which stream to watch. When I do playback, I only get to see the main stream (it doesn't even ask, but that is the only stream I have recordings anyway).

I think that is not a problem. I only record the main stream, when I watch from gDMSS I can choose which stream to watch. When I do playback, I only get to see the main stream (it doesn't even ask, but that is the only stream I have recordings anyway).

Now that is news to me. I always thought you had to enable sub stream to watch playback.

Now that is news to me. I always thought you had to enable sub stream to watch playback.

Nope. I just tested it, and I can playback files from my mobile, and I am not recording the substream.

I think your not understanding us. In order to actually playback sub stream on the mobile app, you need to record to

the sub stream in the NVR. We are simply mentioning this and you keep telling us that you can play back no problem.

Are you actually saying that you only record on the main stream and able to play back the sub stream on GDMSS? I highly doubt that is the fact cause if your not recording onto both streams in the NVR, you will not be able to playback both streams. And the reason to playback sub stream on the mobile device is because it's less resolution so it should

come up faster to playback. In my iphone, I have playback main stream checked and when I playback, it works just

fine so I keep it at that and have my sub stream NOT recording onto my NVR.

Oh, my bad! I was not understanding you.

I thought you said you could not playback from mobile unless you record the substream. You can, but of course you will playback the main stream! If you want to playback the sub stream, yes, you must record it.

I also found something else under my phone, it says Background usage was 316 mb . I am recording on main stream, but honestly I don't do remote playback much unless I'm on wifi. and i only have 1 camera.

Hmm i do use it to do tech support for my part time though...but still I use wifi for testing customer's sites.

for now I force stopped the app and I will monitor it and see how it goes.

Screenshot_2014-03-12-22-47-10.thumb.png.7a6c0fd6f8236a9ec84a578f39bb37b1.png