Sign in to follow this  
chowhound

Help with box cameras for industrial monitoring

I am an instumentation technician, I know instruments and controls not CCTV. I need 4 cameras for process monitoring. Two cameras will be monitoring the process, protected from rain, but exposed to dust, heat and humidity. probably 15-120 deg F. Two cameras will be outside monitoring rail car loading, same conditions. There are so many different brands of cameras I dont know what is junk and what is good. None of the industrial suplliers I deal with carries cameras. Grainger is the only supplier I have found that has cameras. What I am looking at using is an Interlogix UVC-6120-1-N which is .08 lux and 650 tvl, true day/night with a 2.5-10 auto iris lens mounted in a traditional Speco heat/fan enclosure. The four cameras run to a control room where they go through a quad processor to a monitor. No DVR or recoreder of any kind. We have an existing system doing the same thing but with different cameras. SO now I will have 8 cameras, 2 quad processors and an A/B switch to select camera system.

So are the Interlogix cameras any good? is the 2.5-10 a good all around lens? Distances from camera will be 25-50 feet and I need a good wide angle.

I am going to have to work on this stuff so I want to make sure I get something troublefree.

The biggest problem we have now is the housing lens gets dirty and has to be cleaned but the cameras are difficult to access.

What is a good affordable housing for tough conditions? Do I really need then heat/fan?

I am an instumentation technician, I know instruments and controls not CCTV. I need 4 cameras for process monitoring. Two cameras will be monitoring the process, protected from rain, but exposed to dust, heat and humidity. probably 15-120 deg F. Two cameras will be outside monitoring rail car loading, same conditions. There are so many different brands of cameras I dont know what is junk and what is good. None of the industrial suplliers I deal with carries cameras. Grainger is the only supplier I have found that has cameras. What I am looking at using is an Interlogix UVC-6120-1-N which is .08 lux and 650 tvl, true day/night with a 2.5-10 auto iris lens mounted in a traditional Speco heat/fan enclosure. The four cameras run to a control room where they go through a quad processor to a monitor. No DVR or recoreder of any kind. We have an existing system doing the same thing but with different cameras. SO now I will have 8 cameras, 2 quad processors and an A/B switch to select camera system.

So are the Interlogix cameras any good? is the 2.5-10 a good all around lens? Distances from camera will be 25-50 feet and I need a good wide angle.

I am going to have to work on this stuff so I want to make sure I get something troublefree.

The biggest problem we have now is the housing lens gets dirty and has to be cleaned but the cameras are difficult to access.

What is a good affordable housing for tough conditions? Do I really need then heat/fan?

For not much more than the second quad you could get an 8 ch DVR to do the same job with the advantage of all cameras being displayed at once & recorded footage. If the recording feature is not needed then just get an el-cheapo DVR since the "live view" quality is determined by the camera quality NOT the DVR quality

Operator cannot manage loading two railcars simultaniuosly. We dont need to see all 8 cameras at time just 4. I need it as simple as possible for the operators.

If dirt's a problem you should use enclosures for your box cameras. That way you can clean them without scratching your lens. It should also make it easier to just use a hose to blast them from the ground. Most enclosures also have a fan for cooling.