Bucki

New to CCTV - pls advice

Hi Guys

Firstly, hello everybody and glad to be here

Hope u all are ok and hope to get some advise ....

Right, does the CCTV - TVL not matter if the DVR only supports CIF resolution ???

At minute, I got an old DVR with CIF support only and with 470TVL cams.

Not really a fan of it, since the quality is not as clear as I thought (back in the days)

Now, thinking to buy 700TVL or 800TVL cam but worrying about the DVR I have.

From what I am guessing, there is no point a CCTV with high TVL and a DVR with low resolution??

What DVR brand is it ??? It is a Net DRV with no brand ...

No problems as all analog cameras output D1 or 960H resolution video. But old days most DVRs were to record those bigger video data into smaller sized video, say CIF resolution, because the compression engine was not powerful enough to handle the D1 or 960H, bigger sized resolution. And HDD was also expensive.

No problems as all analog cameras output D1 or 960H resolution video. But old days most DVRs were to record those bigger video data into smaller sized video, say CIF resolution, because the compression engine was not powerful enough to handle the D1 or 960H, bigger sized resolution. And HDD was also expensive.

So you are saying that having CIF only, won't matter even if I have 700TVL CCTV ??

I mean, the reason why I am considering better CCTV is to have better recording quality

The "coolie11" user agrees to my statement

so that it would not be no point upgrading if DVR records in CIF only.

By the way, would upgrading the DVR software improve the resolution, or is that something hardware based / specific ?

cheers

PLS anyone just give me some reassurance on this topic.

By the way, can someone recommend a DVR with D1 or higher - on e-b-a-y ??

cheers

I do confirm that you can keep using the DVR which can record CIF, as long as you like it. 700 TVL camera would feed a rather good quality video to the DVR. But do not expect to get a lot better video quality, because CIF is too small for improvements. Also note that No supports or upgrades can be made for such a lower end DVR, I guess.

Hi Bucki, and welcome to the forums.

(Not really sure where "SunnyKim" got his info on "all cam's output D1 or 960H"... NO...they don't!)

So...

-You are correct that upgrading your cameras to only record in CIF is a complete waste of your money.

-700TVL, 800TVL, 960H...those numbers are mostly marketing gimmicks, and there's basically no quantifiable standard on manufacturers spec's...kick around these forums & you'll see certain camera brands/models mentioned a lot.

-EB@y...pretty hit-or-miss.

-Most pro's on this forum like Dahua, (or any re-branded Dahua's) for DVR's. They're cheap and pretty decent.

Good luck!

Browncoat,

all analog cameras outputs a TV signal, say PAL , NTSC, which gets digitized and decoded and formatted to D1 (720H or So) or 960H.

So it's nonsense to say "upgrading into CIF (352H)".

The number one market share holder for analog camera is Samsung Techwin, Not Daihua or Hikvision.

Browncoat,

all analog cameras outputs a TV signal, say PAL , NTSC, which gets digitized and decoded and formatted to D1 (720H or So) or 960H.

So it's nonsense to say "upgrading into CIF (352H)".

The number one market share holder for analog camera is Samsung Techwin, Not Daihua or Hikvision.

Please read my entire post, and maybe even the Original Poster's questions

"Bucki" is new to the forum and asking advice...nothing more.

I didn't want to get into a spitting contest with you "SunnyKim", and I think we may have a language barrier, so I'll leave it at that.

It's disgusting that manufacturers are confusing/misleading customers w/ bogus "3 Jigawatt TVL" numbers...or some such nonesense...

There are some great articles available, both here on the forums & the internet in general, that may help explain TVL, how it's measured, signal propogation, NTSC, PAL/SECAM & ATSC, etc.

"Bucki" you asked for an inexpensive (EBay-purchased) type DVR recommendation, and FOR THE MONEY, it seems a lot of the actual users here like the Dahua setups.(I never said anything about "market penetration") We don't use them at my company, so I'm not a shill for them.

I hope this is helpful, and keep coming back to these forums...they are a great tool, and most of my tech's come on here to exchange information & help one another out.

Take care!

Sup guys i was going to open a new topic but i guess i can POST here since I'm new too to CCTV, I want to buy a DVR for my home.

So my questions are very simple.

1)What should i look for a good camera what specs?

2)what should i look for a good DVR?

3)Is NVR better than DVR?

4)Does NVR have better quality since is IP?

5)What are the most used brands? cheapest ones?

I guess that's it for now, i will keep searching on the forum to see if i can find more info regarding dvr AND NVR.

Thank you and sorry for my weird questions.

Sup guys i was going to open a new topic but i guess i can POST here since I'm new too to CCTV, I want to buy a DVR for my home.

I guess that's it for now, i will keep searching on the forum to see if i can find more info regarding dvr AND NVR.

Your questions are simple...the answers...not so much!

1) Try not to pay much attention to spec's, since manufacturers often inflate spec's to a meaningless point. Look for cameras with good DSP chipset solutions; PIXIM, Sony Super Had II or Effio, Eyenix Mona Lisa, etc.

2) Look for features you may want like; 1 TB+ of hard drive storage, DVD burner (?), recording in at least D1 (720 X 480 pixels) resolution (maybe 960H...960 X 480) at 30fps on all channels, remote viewing on smartphones, etc.

3) Is a Porshe better than a Toyota? If you don't need IP Megapixel cam's & just want something that will do the job reasonably well, you may want to stick with DVR (analog).

4) Technically yes, since NVR's can work with multi-megapixel cameras. IP is great, but unless you are comfortable working in the IP world, you may want to stick with analog DVR's

5) We don't use analog in corporate security anymore, but some of the cheaper new ones I've seen, (Dahua, Revo) seem pretty good. Some of the cheap ones (ZModo, Night Owl, Digital Watchdog) seem pretty God-awful to me, (IMO)... check some out in person before you buy... also, definitely look on these forums on how good tech support is. The last thing you want is to install your system & not have a way to make it work.

Good luck in your search!

Your questions are simple...the answers...not so much!

1) Try not to pay much attention to spec's, since manufacturers often inflate spec's to a meaningless point. Look for cameras with good DSP chipset solutions; PIXIM, Sony Super Had II or Effio, Eyenix Mona Lisa, etc.

2) Look for features you may want like; 1 TB+ of hard drive storage, DVD burner (?), recording in at least D1 (720 X 480 pixels) resolution (maybe 960H...960 X 480) at 30fps on all channels, remote viewing on smartphones, etc.

3) Is a Porshe better than a Toyota? If you don't need IP Megapixel cam's & just want something that will do the job reasonably well, you may want to stick with DVR (analog).

4) Technically yes, since NVR's can work with multi-megapixel cameras. IP is great, but unless you are comfortable working in the IP world, you may want to stick with analog DVR's

5) We don't use analog in corporate security anymore, but some of the cheaper new ones I've seen, (Dahua, Revo) seem pretty good. Some of the cheap ones (ZModo, Night Owl, Digital Watchdog) seem pretty God-awful to me, (IMO)... check some out in person before you buy... also, definitely look on these forums on how good tech support is. The last thing you want is to install your system & not have a way to make it work.

Good luck in your search!

Thank you very much for that information man " title="Applause" /> have a good one.