Hi, I set my DVR up (just about) to allow me to remotely view over the Internet around 2 years ago.

I followed all the instructions but couldn't get it to work until I put the IP address of my DVR into DMZ settings in my router.

Only until now I've read that DMZ can be unsecure if used and it could have access from somebody outside the network.

Is it ok to leave on? Has anybody enabled this?

Hi, I set my DVR up (just about) to allow me to remotely view over the Internet around 2 years ago.

I followed all the instructions but couldn't get it to work until I put the IP address of my DVR into DMZ settings in my router.

Only until now I've read that DMZ can be unsecure if used and it could have access from somebody outside the network.

Is it ok to leave on? Has anybody enabled this?

You won't be able to reach the DVR from outside your lan without the DMZ setting DMZ De Militarized Zone.

Your firewall is still in place just you have made the DVR reachable from outside the LAN. This could be a potential risk but unless your Router has a static IP address and if you used a DNS service to redirect traffic to the router the chances of a security issue are quite small. and only to the DVR the remainder of your devices, would be protected by the firewall. If you have a cloud device you should also be quite safe. Well done for finding your way through the heel-on-wheels port forwarding can be for newbee's to port forwarding.

You don't need to be in the DMZ you need to setup port forwarding, which is more secure, the DMZ is just an open area which removes the need to port forward.

I had both DMZ and port forwarding enabled for 2 years and just yesterday I disabled DMZ (with fingers crossed hoping it'd still work) and to my luck it still does