VPON100

Linux DVR DOM chips, cards

Has anyone had any experience with Linux? There are DOM chips and cards which allow you to build a DVR. I would clike to know anyones thoughts?[/u][/code]

I've just begun playing with linux (debian/KDE) and managed to bumble through compiling the kernal & installing some software, and it impresses me what you can do with some cheap hardware and open source software. I've also been wondering what could be done so far as building something to record video... maybe in mjpeg?

Well, you just gave me a reason to build a Linux box today, I have tons of spare computer parts, mostly old P4 and other models. Plus I have tons of DVR cards that I don't need.

Which linux, to a begginner in Linux I should use?

You ask a dangerous question:

As a beginer, how would you rate your computer knowage? Are you comfortable with both hardware and software? Do you intend to learn Linux? Do you have lots of free time?

Knopix if you aren't comfortable or really don't have time. Gentroo if you want to poke under the hood. Slackware is for special kinds of maschoists. Mandrake is good for beginers who have some time but want handholding.