fostercontractors

Mounting Dahua HFW3200's on outdoor junction boxes = FAILURE

Mounting Dahua HFW3200's on outdoor unction boxes = FAILURE, need HELP!

We just finished our first commercial install on a storage facility that included 28 outdoor bullets on three separate buildings, Bitlomat radios, beautiful install, or so we thought. We were so proud of our job until today when one of the cams fell offline and when we checked it we found the Cantex 8" x 8" junction box we mounted the camera to was full of water! All of the Cantex boxes were the same way and the Royal boxes were bone dry (the vender didnt have all of the same brand) NOw our pigtail connections look like they've been in the ocean for a year, corroded and some even growing mold! What should we do, and more importantly what should we use next time? We liked the way the 8x8x4 boxes provided some stability on these flimsily clad metal buildings and thought the cover and gaskets would perform fine. WRONG! Guys, please help us...

I have ran into the same problem with the Cantex brand box's. Depending on how you are getting the Cat5e into the box I use commercial grade clear caulk around the box to mounting surface, Cat5e into the box, and on the cover. I don't even both using there cheap gasket any more. In some cases I have also used it on the camera base onto the cover, usually cheap cameras. Also make sure that the notch on the camera base is facing down. As for the rusted out pigtail you are SOL. There is no possible way to get a new one for a replacement, I have tried with no luck. Only solution is replace the camera. Hope this helps.

No clue on what a Cantex or Royal box is, but some pictures would have been nice

They are just square junction box's found at HD or Lowes. Google it!!!

I have ran into the same problem with the Cantex brand box's. Depending on how you are getting the Cat5e into the box I use commercial grade clear caulk around the box to mounting surface, Cat5e into the box, and on the cover. I don't even both using there cheap gasket any more. In some cases I have also used it on the camera base onto the cover, usually cheap cameras. Also make sure that the notch on the camera base is facing down. As for the rusted out pigtail you are SOL. There is no possible way to get a new one for a replacement, I have tried with no luck. Only solution is replace the camera. Hope this helps.

I have not put a camera outside under direct rain yet. How do you get the huge keystone jack into the junction box? I thought of cutting a corner of the cover out and sliding the cord into the box and then siliconing around the edge for a dome camera. Other way is to put the bullet camera base on top after drilling out a large hole in the cover and siliconing around the camera well.

Do you have any photos close up of your installs?

The gasket on those plastic boxes are crap open cell foam, what you can do is cut your own gasket out of rubber, then run a bead of silicone on the box edge, cover it and then silicone around BOTH sides of the cover as well as the cover screws and any suspect penetrations of the box, on getting the cam cable in there, what I just did was drill a 1" hole through the box side, the 1" fits the RJ45 molded connector, then I put a 1" PVC male pipe adaptor with a 1/2" X 1" reducer threaded bushing followed by a water proof strain relief fitting, the 1" MPA I added a reducer washer and rubber gasket and nutted it with a regular conduit 1" nut, this only works if you have the ability to unplug the other end of the wire out of the cam, another option would be place the box where the cam can be directly mounted on it, you could then use a large rubber grommet to fit the 1" hole needed to get the cam wire in, if you slit the grommet to the center hole you will be able to get it on the wire from the cam then you would need to silicone around the grommet and mount the cam with the rubber back gasket, hope this helps

I don't but it's all available at home depot or lowes in the electrical department, just ask for help and they DO have the waterproof strain relief-just have to look for it your self in the electrical dept.