steuk

PTZ control - siren alarm

Hello all,

I ordered last week several hikvision cameras (I want to try several models to see what's good/wrong with each model).

I received everything (thanks god and DHL ^^).

I have a DS-2CD7253F-EIZ which have PTZ.

I plugged my camera to my NVR (DS-7608NI-SE/P) but I can only focus or zoom, when I try to use PTZ control (moving left/right/up/down) nothing happens. So I started to understand why, and if I'm not wrong (documentation is not good) I think I have to put a cable between my camera (RS-485 port) and my NVR (RS-485 port too), am I right ??? (I don't have such cable here so I can't test it now)

Am I missing something else ? (Hope camera is not broken )

I have a DS-2CD2732F-IS which have alarm output.

I want to plug this camera to a siren alarm (I have small one), but this camera has too many cables :

• LIN/MIC-
  • RIN/MIC+
  • MIC_GND
  • ALARMIN_GND
  • ALARMOUT_GND
  • ALARM_IN
  • ALARM_OUT
  • LINE_GND
  • LINE_OUT_L
  • LINE_OUT_R

Which ones do I need to plug to my siren alarm (2 cables in my siren alarm a black one - and a red one +) ?

Does someone know what are the other cables used for ?

Thanks for your help !!!

Don't know about this specific camera, but Alarm Out and Alarm Out Ground would be the signal that triggers something external when the camera has an alarm. Whether it has the power to drive your alarm, or would need to go to a driver, will depend on the specs for the output. That should be documented in the manual, I'd hope.

I don't think you can plug the directly. You got a multimeter? Measure between ALARM OUT GND and ALARM OUT. You either get a small control voltage (+5 or +12V) or, most commonly, there is a relay in there that will give you continuity and you'll have to power the siren using external power.

BTW, I would never rely on a camera to give direct altert to a siren.

Hello,

First of all, thank you for these answers !

I bought a small siren alarm for my tests, I only have 2 cables on it (cable + and cable -).

I thought that I just needed to connect these cables to my camera to make it work, but you think I need power separately ? Won't it be provided by the camera itself ?

I don't trigger siren alarm on motion detection, but if I get an email showing there is a real problem, I'll be able to reach my camera and trigger siren manually (that's my purpose).

No ideas about my PTZ camera ?

It's pretty simple to create a low-amp electronic DC swtich with a few parts and a soldering iron. I can point you in the right direction if you're intereted. High-amp stuff you can go with a mechanical relay.

Thank you, but electronic stuff is chinese for me

I'd like to be sure that my camera doesn't deliver power to my siren alarm before trying to become Mc Gyver

That model is not a PTZ camera, its a varifocal dome camera with motorized lens that can zoom in and out remotely from 2.7mm-9.0mm. A 30 x PTZ camera has a 4.3 ~ 129.0mm lens according to hikvision.

http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=7661

It has E-PTZ, which is just another word for digital zoom, you need OPTICAL ZOOM

You want something like this for PTZ.

http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=9174

Basically you got the wrong camera if you wanted PTZ (if the model number you gave is correct) return it when you can~

Here's a diagram from Axis but it's the same on any brand. The box that says Relay, that's what you need. But too bad you can't cut and paste that from graphic to reality, because that would be cool.

244908_1.gif

Thank you, but electronic stuff is chinese for me

I'd like to be sure that my camera doesn't deliver power to my siren alarm before trying to become Mc Gyver

Why not just use a multimeter? Even the cheapest/handy one. Or borrow one.

Many answers, thank you all !

@milkisbad : Maybe i've been fooled by e-PTZ term... What I don't get is, if it's not PTZ, what is the following specification for :

• Angle adjustment (2-Axis): Pan: 0° ~ 355°, tilt: 0° ~ 80°, rotation: 0° ~ 355°

And what's the role of RS-485 port if not for PTZ ?

What I see in documentation is :

5.4 Operating PTZ Control

Purpose:In the live view interface, you can use the PTZ control buttons to realize pan/tilt/zoom control of the camera.

Before you start:

To realize PTZ control, the camera connected to the network must support the PTZ function or a pan/tilt unit has been installed to the camera. Please properly set the PTZ parameters on RS-485 Settings page referring to Section 10.6 RS-485 Settings.

In section 10.6 RS-485 Settings :

Purpose:

The RS-485 serial port is used to control the PTZ of the camera. The configuring of the PTZ parameters should be done before you control the PTZ unit.

Why would my camera have such port if the camera doesn't support PTZ ?

@buellwinkle : Thank you for the beautiful diagram So I need to buy a relay...Since I don't know what it is, (and if I translate to french I'm not sure the word is the same we use here) can you send me a link of sample relay (so I'll be able to look for one in my country). Thanks again.

@dexterash : I don't have a multimeter at home, maybe I need to buy one...

You may have to contact support for the alarm out specifications (voltage/ current)

I'm fairly certain the camera will not power the siren but the contacts could act as a switch and connect a ground/return. You would need a relay if the sirens current exceeds the alarm out contacts specification for the camera. (some are limited to 5ma sink current)

Most likely you will need a separate power supply for your siren, the address below shows a simple connection direct to the camera IF it can handle the sirens current.

Otherwise, as mentioned previously, you will need to add a relay between the camera and the siren. A relay set up would also provide some protection to camera's alarm out contacts

http://www.hkvstar.com/technology-news/how-to-connect-sensor-to-ip-camera-s-alarm-i-o.html

Thank you for this great link.

So basically, the relay is a power supply (with good voltage/current...of the siren I guess, it won't power my camera so doesn't need to be compliant right ?).

Connections are (tell me if I'm wrong):

• relay ground goes to siren -
  • relay + goes to camera alarmout_gnd
  • alarm_out goes to siren +

Right ?

That user manual is a generic user manual that applies to almost all the models, and that part you quoted just explains what the ptz button does under live view.

Rs 485 could be for a joystick so you can zoom and focus

0-355 pan means you can manually turn it around that much by hand.

I might be wrong can you post some picture of that ptz camera?

Get the specs for your devices first.

A relay is not a power supply, two different animals..

You will need a power supply for the siren and/or relay.

IF your cameras contacts can handle the voltage and current rating of the siren then I would hook them up as follows..

• Power supply + to Siren +
    Siren - to Alarm Out +
    Alarm Out - to Power Supply -

To add a relay, the contact side has to meet voltage and current of your siren, coil/control side needs to operate at sirens voltage and not draw or exceed your cameras current limits.

• Power Supply + to Siren and + coil of the relay
    Siren - to relay + NO (normally open) contact
    Relay contact - to Power supply -
    Relay coil - to Alarm out +
    Alarm Out - to PS -

The power supply + will have two wires, one going to the siren and the relay NO contact. The power supply - will have two wires one going to the common contact, another to Alarm out -

You really need to get the specifications for both the siren and the camera before burning things up; and perhaps a local expert to help set things up.

Maybe i've been fooled by e-PTZ term... What I don't get is, if it's not PTZ, what is the following specification for :

• Angle adjustment (2-Axis): Pan: 0° ~ 355°, tilt: 0° ~ 80°, rotation: 0° ~ 355°

That's the angle of adjustment and you clearly are looking at the wrong part of the manual as it's typical Hikvision to have every single model they make in one manual. It says 2-axis and the two cameras you mention are 3-axis domes and no such thing as a PTZ that is 3-axis although that would be awesome if they can make one that does that.

Specs can be found here - http://www.hikvision.com/en/products_show.asp?id=7274

Motorized VF cameras are not meant to be used as a zoom, it's just an installation aid to allow you to focus and make adjustments to the VF lens remotely. I'm torn on this feature because I can focus a lens manually once and it's generally good for life and I can get more accurate focus that way and save about $100 in camera cost. But to some, the cost is justified by the time saved in the field focusing cameras. It's more practical on installs that are very hard to get to, for example, we have cameras on poles on slopes where we need a cherry picker to reach and do maintenance.

If you want a PTZ, the best deal out there now is the Dahua 12x optical zoom PTZ for about $529. The model is the SD42212SN-HN. Or if you want a better brand, the ACTi B95, 10x optical zoom, about $900 is very good. These are amazing prices because a few months ago, it would have set you back double that price.

Wish I can help you on the electronics but our installers do this for me, so don't know the details. I know it a higher level as I was an electronics major, but heck, that was a long time ago when I had hair on my head, LOL.

@buellwinkle Thank you for these precisions.

Well it's only for testing purposes so I will deal with it.

My fault I'm a newbie, so I've been tricked, it won't happen again I swear (...I mean, I hope )

I'd like to stay with Hikvision cameras, don't you know one good PTZ camera from this brand ?

And thank you atcsam, it's hard for me to understand your informations, I think I will take a coffee and read it again, slowly (electronic + english, will give me a headache ).

FYI, the answer from my supplier is I just need to connect cables together (camera to siren) and it will work. (camera provides power to siren).

So I will try it and tell you if it's OK.

@milkisbad: Thank you, but I'd like to stay with only one brand. But if I don't find what I want from Hikvision, I will try your cam ($1400...it hurts )