Chuck26287

Question about TCP/IP and UDP.

Just installed a Swann NVR16-7200 1080p security system on an at&t U-verse network. The at&t gateway is set to simply pass-thru to a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 router. The R7000 broadcasts a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz wireless network, and the only thing typically connected to the R7000 is the NVR16-7200 server (w/11 camera attached - all 3 mp cameras), via an ethernet cable. It has a Gbps connection to the R7000.

When viewing directly with a monitor attached to the Swann server, the video is superb. Very little lag if any. When viewing with the remote viewing apps from an iPad or iPhone, with the viewing device on the local 5G network (not accessing from the internet through the at&t gateway) there is easily as much as 25-30 seconds delay/lag in the image on the remote device screen.

Huge amount of video data. I realize that, but my question is about the differences between TCP and UDP. IF I am understanding correctly, my lag may be diminished by using UDP, provided I am okay with occassional data being lost and NOT resent for the integrity that TCP provides. I assume the server will receive and record the video without data loss as it is collected from the cameras directly by the server and recorded. Any lost video data would be from the server to the router and out to the viewing clients, and just because my remotely viewed video may have some lost frames/data, my recorded data would not. Is this a correct assumption?

If so, my question is how to I configure the R7000 Nighthawk to use UDP to send the video data to remote viewing clients, and not TCP? I would still want TCP on all other network activity. I simply want to decrease the lag when displaying the video on a remote device for live viewing.

I have what is probably more than a basic networking capability/knowledge, but I have never gotten into specifying different protocals for specific applications. Any assistance would be very greatly appreciated.

TCP will try to retransmit the data if there's an error. UDP is connectionless and will not try to recover the lost data for you.

I owned the R7000 for a short while and I seem to remember it having a nice QOS feature built in. Have you tried that yet? I own Hikvision cameras and NVR so I don't know what the Swann interface looks like but are you viewing the substream on your Iphone or the main stream?

Hey, I'm having lag issues as well (4 hikvision cameras, connected to hikvision nvr via POE) the the answer to this question

Do you have the same lag when you connect directly to the cameras?
is no, there is not any lag when view the camera directly.