Sign in to follow this  
j9s

Hikvision NVR (7616) LAN1 IP Address problem

Hi,

I purchased seven Hikvision domes and one Hikvision NVR (7616 NI/SE-P) through Aliexpress.

The domes work fine. However, the NVR does not connect on its LAN1 interface to the main LAN here (network 10.17.0.0/24)

Whether I give it a fixed ip (10.17.0.39) or use DHCP, no connection is being made. So no ping, no web interface.

I did not change anything to the 8 POE ports of the device which use 192.168.254.0/24. I use version 2.3.7 of the firmware.

The problem is, as there is no (external) serial connector and no CLI terminal nor telnet, I'm pretty much in the dark and have to use the GUI interface which lets me set the IP address, but then still does not make a connection. Obviously, I tried several switches and network cables and the network itself is ok.

The front-side Status LED remains dark but the TX/RX led lights up; also the switch LED lights up.

If there any way around, any debugging mode or anything else I could try? If it does not work, my only other option would be to buy a separate server and install Xeoma.

I hope someone can shine a light on my problem, thanks a lot!

Regards,

John

Use a USB mouse and VGA or HDMI. (VGA may be best for first setup depending on what modes your HDMI monitor supports).

I just solved it.

It seems that my range (a perfectly valid /24 private range from 10.0.0.0/8) is *not* supported by Hikvision.

When I used their (non-compliant:) 192.0.0.0/24 range, it all worked.

John

I just solved it.

It seems that my range (a perfectly valid /24 private range from 10.0.0.0/8) is *not* supported by Hikvision.

When I used their (non-compliant:) 192.0.0.0/24 range, it all worked.

John

Really?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I just find that hard to believe. Even if you set the IP and mask to your network details it doesn't work? Companies often use 10/8 so I would not expect this to be incompatible.

Most people use something in the RFC 1918 192.168.0.0/16 range (e.g. 192.168.0.0/24) as opposed to 10.0.0.0/8 but I don't see why the latter wouldn't work. Underlying linux won't mind I'm sure.

Sure - 192.0.0.0/24 initially, but you might want to check that 10/8 doesn't work.

I think I will give a try on mine (I got a 7608), because it's quite strange and that could be a (really bad) bug...

To his defense I have experienced DVRs that do not work with certain ports! (huge range of ports in fact)

But having that said that does sound strange.

Anyone from Hikvision can clarify?

Update: my setup (now with 6 cameras -- will upgrade to 10 soon) has been working well in the 192.0.0.0/24 range for a few weeks now.

I have not experimented with other ranges such as 192.168/16 or 172.16/16 or 10/8 yet apart from my initial attempts.

However, the NVR is now losing connection about once daily. It has the ip address 192.0.0.39 which becomes unavailable for some reason. All Hikvision cameras in the same segment (e.g. 192.0.0.20) are still connected.

Because there is no debugging/logging whatsoever and I cannot login using telnet or ssh, I will probably automatically reboot the nvr every night to prevent the NIC from locking up.

Needless to say, I regret buying this Hikvision NVR and will not recommend it to my customers. Instead, I'll try to work out a solution based on stock Linux with one of the commercial software suites instead. At least on the network level, I have full control in such a setup.

If its built-in POE, try to put the NVR in a different segment than the built-in POE.

For example, a NVR would have 192.168.1.100 as ip and 192.168.1.1 as gateway, but the POE NIC would have 192.168.188.1 and the cameras would have 192.168.188.2 and so on.

The very first firmware the built-in NIC for the POE was in the same segment as the LAN, but it lead to network issues so they separated it in the next firmware.

Well I hope i'm understanding it correctly since you said they were in the same segment...give it a try and see if it helps.

I am not using the POE since the estate is way too big to have direct NVR-to-camera cabling.

Instead, I access the cameras over the LAN using 192.0.0.0/24

The POE ports are configured to use 192.168.254.1, 192.168.254.2 etc but as explained, I do not use them.

I am now also looking at Synology's Surveillance Station, looks promising and more up to date than Hikvision's software.

John