Sign in to follow this  
smcctv

port forwarding - BT fibre to Orane brighbox to NVR

Hi guys,

I have a customer where i have installed x3 ip cameras to a NVR unit. All working fine. The question i have is around the port forwarding. He has a setup where the BT fibre router has only one cat 5 connection. This plugs into his Orange brightbox wireless router which has x4 ethernet ports. The CCTV NVR is plugged into this.

Do i configure port forwarding at the BT router or Orange router or both?

Thanks

confused.com

I have port forwarded the Orange router but have had no joy as yet. I will port forward port 80, but my understanding is that port 80 is usually open by default.

It really depends. You can not have 2 routers on one internet connection. So one must be acting as switch or something.

But the BT router should be the main router as its the only one that has a connection to the outside work.

I would setup port forwarding on the BT router.

Ok, let me try setting up the port forward on the BT router side and will keep you updated next week.

Many Thanks guys.

It really depends. You can not have 2 routers on one internet connection.

Not true, it just takes more work to do port forwarding. I have 2 routers at my office and you just have to forward the ports from the public facing router to the internal router and then forward from the internal router to the DVR or whatever you are using (IP camera, home server, slingbox, whatever).

Hi. Bit of a sales pitch from BT

They call if fibre but it's only fibre from exchange to sub and from sub station to home it's on copper. ( hight speed adsl)

So it is just a matter of port forward.

Orange (EE) can be expensive if your customer dose not have the right broadband pack

So check if true unlimited

I have a customer on Chess Broadband (fibre) and he gets very good results, the router is a

netgear and reasonably easy to set up after a little tinkering. i.e reserve the DVR's IP address

then restart and do the port forwarding.

Chess Broadband technical support line are rather helpful too, after initially getting permission from the account holder.