RichTJ99

Best type of crimpable BNC connector?

Hi,

I purchased a 1000 feet of siamese cable & tonight I got to experience first hand crappy cables with crappy adapters. So, when I do the crimping, I am using this kit: http://www.tequipment.net/Ideal33-303.asp?OVRAW=ideal%2033-303&OVKEY=ideal%2033%20303&OVMTC=standard

I want to get a nice BNC connector so the video feed isnt messy.

Could someone suggest a place to get them or what I should be looking for (gold plated, etc)?

Thanks,

Rich

I just use Twist on BNC Connectors, nothing special. Its more important to use good wire, good cameras, and make sure the connection is done properly.

I can attest to the simplicity of using the twist on type as well.

I am glad I didn’t bother with compression or crimp types.

More tools and more ways to screw up, but it is a personal choice.

There is a whole long thread that talks about this subject, but I think you will come to the same conclusion.

Use the twist on type, they work and there easy to work with.

And you can find twist on types all over the place.

For RG59 we use Gem 305-10 and Aim Electronics 27-9100. In my opinion nothing beats a good 3 piece crimp on.

The problem we had with twist ons is some installers would use RG59 twist ons for plenum and vise versa and a lot of our problems traced back to bad BNC connections. Don't get me wrong a secure twist on BNC works perfectly, a lazy installer on the other hand....

thats the problem, with all connectors, its up to the installer .. and cable used, also the quality of the connector, i cant use the Twist ons they sell at the electrical store here, they come out of the socket when you twist them tight, so I only use them in an emergency, otherwise i get them all from the US distributors.

i have found the best test of a connection is try to pull it off of the cable. if it moves at all its a bad connection if it stays its good. being a sophmore to this bussiness i now use the waterproof compression connectors at $1.50 a piece but they are bullit proof.

crimp all the way for me

i also solder the centre pin on them as the crimp quality on some centres is bad to say the least

fed up going to installs by other co's using cheap twist on or crimps that they've done with a set of pliers or their teeth

I gotta clear this up one last time, there are cheap Twist ons, and there are Good Twist ons, for those that havent used them yet ..

Now you can see that there is no "Best" type of BNC connector. It all comes down to favorites. I've used BNC, Crimp, 2-piece Crimp, etc.... I like twist on as they are easy and if done right, they work just fine!

My suggestion would be to try and test in the following order until you like what you've found:

Twist On

1 Piece Crimp

2 Piece Crimp

3 Piece Crimp

Compression

The reason they are in that order is because thats generally ascending order of cost per connector, not to mention tools needed.

crimp all the way for me

i also solder the centre pin on them as the crimp quality on some centres is bad to say the least

fed up going to installs by other co's using cheap twist on or crimps that they've done with a set of pliers or their teeth

I don't use pliers for twisting them on. Just by hand.

I only use my teeth to assist the cable stripping process.

Jasper and Rory....are they the same person?

Lets look at the facts shall we?

Both use Twist Ons.

Both will use thier teeth to strip wire.

Both like Beer.

Both are Human.

I leave this for the reader to decide but clearly it's not just random chance that they have so much in common.

[Edit: Cause I don't speak english so good.]

Ahhhhh 7/11 ....Slurpee

Florida had them all over the place. Now since I've relocated to Atlanta, GA haven't had a 7/11 in few months. Im feending for a Slurpee.

I've used twist-ons with pretty good results. Like Rory said, some are junk and some are decent. They're nice to have in a pinch, too!

My main complaint is the twisting process itself. I only use my hands to twist them on/off; I never use pliars or a wrench (too much torque). Problem is, after doing 10-15 of them, it really starts to wear on the fingers.

Since I've heard so many good things about compression fittings, what are some of your favorite brands for connectors and the compression tool? Something easy to use and reliable...